New to us TV and B&W hitch, input wanted

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
OK, we did a bad thing. Bought a 2005 F350 PSD dually last night. We had an F250 7.3 and loved it, but were right at the ragged edge of weight limits. Traded both it and an F-150 we had in on the dually. Looking for input from owners as to anything to watch out for, maintenence tips, etc. We know about some of the 6.0 issues but we think at 75K hopefully turbo issues have already been addressed. Really noticed the difference with the Tow/Haul mode. Any helpful hints, tips, what to watch out for?
The Dually also came with a B&W turnover already installed. We have to buy the companion for it, but that's easier than re-installing the Superglide we had and don't need. (see items for sale)
Anyone using the B&W? hints, tips and advice solicited. :)

sJv

The Dually also came with a B&W turnover already installed. We have to buy the companion for it, but that's easier than re-installing the Superglide we had and don't need. (see items for sale)
Anyone using the B&W? hints, tips and advice solicited. :)

I can't help with any tips on the truck (which sounds great, BTW!) as I have a Dodge 2500. I do have the B&W Companion and love it! My father has a Reese 15K slider, and it looks pretty cheap in comparison. The Companion is very well made and the latching jaws leave no doubt that it's locked and loaded! The important tip I can give you is to be sure the Companion is installed correctly! The Companion comes with a square post. The post has to be locked into it's mount with the pin through it. Then the Companion is slipped over the post. Tighten the top bolt first to 40 ft/lbs. There must be a 1/4" to 1/2" gap between the top of the post and the Companion. If there isn't, then something is wrong!. Once the top bolt is tightened, then the U-Bolts can be tightened. We don't usually leave the Companion installed in the truck, and it takes me only a few minutes to install or remove it. It's a very nice set up!

By the way, I bought my Companion from an Ebay re-seller for a LOT less money than the local dealer. I received it in about 2-3 days after I placed the order (I"m also in NorCal). PM me if interested.

-steve

slmayor

Thanks Steve! Bought the hitch this morning from Tweety's and was on sale. Ebay was the first place I looked and price was the same at Tweety's. We're leaving for a trip in a week, so had to seriously condense my normal research and shopping times. Our local dealers were $300 more. Hopefully we can sell the SuperGlide and recoup some of the expense. I will pass the tips on to Ray so we can make sure we have the correct torque on the hitch. It's nice to have first hand info! :)
Deb

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have the B&W also but you might read the following threads about the hitch. Also do a search on "campanion" and read more information...

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=6447

FWIW
BC

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Deb, I too have trhe B&W and love it. I carry one of the fold flat stools that fits behind my back seat, so I can close the locking bar.

slmayor

Thanks everyone for the tips. I read the one thread adn a few other posts but was looking for info like Steve gave about the tightening, adjusting, etc. I probably should have been more specific in my questions. I already know that the B&W has as big a following as our PullRite does, but other than that I can't really find any tips on hooking up, installing the companion, etc. I am probably over-analyzing this... LOL
I just know that we learned quite a bit about the PullRite "tricks" before we had it, so had zero issues with both hooking, un-hooking from the beginning. IE: we knew that there had to be no pressure against the jaws to unhook and that there had to be a fair amount of weight on the plate to slide it in correctly and not "high-hook".

I know I'll not be able to reach over the side of the truck at 5'3", Ray's 6' but this truck seems to sit higher. Might need the 2 step stool we have. :)

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
The companion comes in 2 pieces. The base mount, it has the square peg that drops into the hole in the bed. You pull the level in the wheel well, insert base mount, release level, then thighten the bolts. The second piece is the fifth wheel plate. It has two handles that you you to cary it with, and pull up on tho remove it. It slips over the two upright mounts on the base plate. There are to steel rods (on chains) that are ran thought holes under the handles and then pin in place. This mounts the hitch.

You now open the level that opens the jaws. raise/lower trailer pin to prper height and back truck into the king pin. When you are proper hitched the level will snap shut, and you place the safety pin through the hole and lock it in place. Now you should be ready to raise the jacks (do a pull test) and you are done.

It is really a very simple to use hitch, and once you get the hang of it, you'll wonder why you ever bought anything else.

slmayor

Thanks! That's exactly what we were looking for! The base came in the truck and without having the other parts in hand, (in transit now) were kind of wondering how everything attached to each other. We had a general idea and have looked at the website, but have not found a lot of technical info, so this really helps.
We're leaving for a 3 week trip early next week, so knowing as much as we can before we go will really help shorten the learning curve for us. Thanks so much!

sJv

I should also add that unhitching can sometimes be tricky, which I would guess is no different from any other hitch. The hitch latch handle doesn't always release the jaws. Usually, I just have to put the truck in reverse to relieve the tension on the jaws, then they will open. However, last time I went to unhitch, I had the trailer level, but the truck tilted and couldn't get the jaws to release. I had to have my wife hold the lever open while I rocked the truck back and forth, and that did the trick. The funny thing is that my dad was also unhitching at the same time at his house (we camped together, and he lives a few hundred yards away) and was having the exact same issue with his Reese slider. I had to pull on the release lever while he rocked the truck to get it to release. Just the nature of the beast I suppose...

Ray and Deb - have you downloaded the instructions from B&W? They can be found at the below link, and are a good read. You'll also get them with your Companion, but it's always to read them over a few times in advance!

http://www.turnoverball.com/download.asp?id=57

-steve

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
I can help on the truck, owned a 2006 F350 CC dually with a six leakerNone and auto.

First 2 years of the 6.0 (2003 & 2004) were the worst, most problems cleared up by '05 and I didn't have problems with my '06.

Biggest weak link is the fuel injectors and the EGR valve.

Keep your fuel filters changed regularly, change your oil regularly and don't let it gel up in the winter. These 3 things alone have the biggest impact on the injectors as the 6.0 injector solenoids are very weak and it doesn't take much to kill them.

As far as the EGR valve, run it hard now and then to keep it clean, blowing the carbon out. The people that have the most problems with it are the ones that use them for grocery getters never towing anything and working the truck the way it was meant to work.

High performance chips are a no no on the 6.0 other than a mild econo tune, head gaskets won't take the increased cylinder pressures and are known for blowing easily.

Loved the truck, very dependable, had 125,000 miles on it when I traded it 4 months ago. The reason I went to a slightly older Dodge was fuel economy. The 6.0 was way worse than my 7.3 PSD and 7.3 IDI engines. It would have put me out of business.

Was a really nice looking truck too.
p4070001a640.jpg

Here's a shot crossing an ice bridge across the Peace River to deliver a trailer to La Crete Alberta in it. I put that truck through some of the worst weather and extreme temperature and conditions and it never let me down...... Can't say the same for those cheap Advance Auto Parts batteries that froze solid in -40F (not wind chill) and left me looking for a tow truck. Good luck with the new ride.
IMG00056.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s190/carolinapowerstroke/ice bridge/IMG00056.jpg

slmayor

Thanks guys! Hitch came yesterday and installed easily. It's sitting in the truck bed now. Will have to adjust to the trailer this weekend. The new truck sits higher so not sure how we're going to achieve some bed rail clearance and still tow level.
We too, will miss the great fuel mileage of the 7.3 It's been a good truck. It doesn't get cold enough here to gel fuel, and the only time the truck will be used will be under load. I did however print out the detailed instructions for cleaning the egr valve. :)
Biggest issue I have this morning is that there appears to be no mount for the spare tire they're supposed to deliver this morning. LOL, At least we noticed it didn't have one before we left the dealership. We did not however, crawl under it to make sure the mount was there until last night. It will be interesting to see how they resolve the issue.
Thanks for the encouraging words on the 6.0. Makes me feel a little better.

truknutt

Committed Member
slmayor,

The only other item I would add to pmmjarrett's comments would be to watch your Exhaust Gas Temps (EGTs). If you don't already have one, I would install a pyrometer. The 6.0 PSDs tend to run a little warmer than the 7.3s. The techs writing for the "POWERSTROKE REGISTRY" Magazine agree that she'll run all day at 1250 degrees F but if she gets any warmer the turbo fins tend to melt away (2003-2007 with VGT/Variable Geometry Turbo). I use 1200 as my "manual de-fueling point" (lifting of the right foot)!

I love my '03 6.0 since the turbo was replaced (bad sensor affected the VGT).

Have Fun on your trip!!

slmayor

Thanks! Truck made the first big trip fine and a real difference in towing. Daughter tried to take it through a drive thru the night before we left for the Jackson Rally. Used duct tape to hold the fender together. Should be back from the body shop tomorrow.