29P RKS Rear kitchen , should I

Homer1959

Hi , we are contemplating this model. That would be our first Prowler. Do you have any experience with this particular model ? If so how do you like the rear kitchen ? I know for the room the countertop etc etc, but on the road ? How the things are moving in the cupboards and fridge etc etc, do you end up with a mess, or do you have to work hard while you pack to make sure that everything is tied down, glued or nailed together ? Tell me about your reak kitchen trailer guys

Crumgater

We have the 5th wheel version of the rear kitchen. Not sure if you'll get more 'bounce' in the back end with a TT or not.

We never had an issue with anything bouncing off the counters - but we don't leave much on there, either. We put down the spongey shelf liner underneath things that stayed on the counter (mostly a box with spices, matches, etc), that keeps things from sliding, and everything else just got put on the floor during travel.

Fridge contents has never been a problem.

Some stuff moved in the cabinets, but nothing I thought was excessive.

I think we had one trip where some pans slid out of a lower cabinet, but that was probably a fast-break issue (and not latching the cabinet firmly), more than a bounce issue.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
While not the model you are looking at, I have a 2017 Sundance 3100CK with the rear kitchen and outdoor kitchen. You will get some movement in the rear cabinets, nothing serious or broken but some items will move, even with a rubber shelf lining down. I have not had any problems with items in the refrigerator however.
The movement was the worst when I put on G614's and the air pressure was 110 psi. After having the RV weighed, I can go as low as 70 psi...currently I am at 90 and testing that pressure and a major improvement. I may go to 80 psi for a test on my way to NM Rally in May.
I will be putting on the Joy ryder shock system this summer and that should correct all bounce and any sway that might be happening...
Good luck with you selection and Safe Travels.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our previous RV was a 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 22RK with the rear kitchen, which is what drew us to buy that trailer.

CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2007.jpg Campout2012Kitchen-PC270045.jpg

That rear kitchen does add a lot of weight to the back of the trailer and does cause some sway.

Make sure you get a weight distributing hitch setup with some sway bars.

Also, pay attention to having the trailer level side-to-side when you run the refrigerator or it could overheat or at minimum damage the fridge.

CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2096.jpg CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg

We loved that trailer and miss it sometimes . . .

CKFX

We own a Prowler 2015 29 P-RKS, and purchased for two reasons, the large counter surface area, and by having the kitchen in the rear area it opens up the center living section quite nicely. In the last 2 years we have put about 15,000 miles on the this trailer, either traveling or as base camp for our daughters horse showing events. Because most horse shows don't provide electric or water we go in wet with a support generator in the truck, I keep the radial trailer tires at their max 65 psi.

The issue of bounce or sway is a consideration.

The sway was directly addressed by using a Blue Ox weight distribution/anti-sway hitch which has done everything advertised, I especially enjoy the fact that I can back into a camp site without removing the sway bars.

Bounce is evident as noted by other responses, but nothing of extreme characteristics. We spoil ourselves with decorative table settings thus they do weigh a little heavier than some of the china lookalikes, thus the cupboards with those in we use a wrap tie around the two pull knobs and that keeps the doors closed, and when opening after a road trip only open 1 door to verify nothing will fall out. So far no disasters, seems our plastic glass ware shifts the most. The large pot drawer under the stove I put a child safety latch on to keep it from opening in case of a hard braking event while traveling. It has been effective, not allowing the drawer to open into the slide wall corner. We have not had any problems with the fridge and its contents, the latches on the doors are very effective and even eggs ride comfortably on the lower shelf above vegetable drawers.

All said if there is one inconvenience it is the slide unit blocks the refrigerator door access when it is pulled in. Not having access to a driveway allowing the trailer, makes loading the fridge a two person job, one to work and the other to motion cars away from the extended slide on our residential street. Some how they see the trailer box, but not the extension's projection.

This is a very nice layout that we enjoy, easy to maneuver, turns in nicely when backing, slight notice when large truck or motor homes pass but nothing drastic. I typically cruise at 65 on open roads. This is our fifth trailer, moving from pop-up, to fiberglass 16' Scamp, 2 fifth wheels and now the P-RKS.
Fx