Reverse Osmosis water filtration for coach

kbausano

We love RO waters, but since our home and now coach don't have RO systems, we end up bringing bottled water from Aquafina or Desani. I've been considering putting in a small system such as

https://www.pureblueh2o.com/product/4-stage-ro-system/

that typically sells at Costco for about $159. The biggest question regards room for the filters as well as the small tank - and our Bighorn island isn't flush with extra space.

Anyone imagineer something like this, or actually have an RO in their rig?

Ken

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jbeletti

Ken - here's a link to some pictures of what I did. I've removed and winterized that system and will take it to Elkhart with me in May. There, I'll reinstall it in my new coach. LOVE having whole-coach RO. But, it's an intensive install and $1000-$1200 all-in. Takes a lot of variability out of the quality of water I see at dozens of campgrounds each year.

porthole

Retired
Works for some, and not for others.

I installed a RO after giving our dogs the horrible water at the Hatteras CG in 2010.

One of the issues with RO is the approximate 1 gallon of RO'd water to 5-7 gallons of waste. That is a lot of waste if you have a limited supply source
Then there is some debate about having RO water being recycled through the RV storage tank, the thought being that multiple passes through a RO system removed all redeeming properties of drinking water in the first place.

I took out the membrane part of the system but continue to use the remaining 4 filters of the system (just for at spigot at the sink). So all water for drinking, coffee dogs etc gets well filtered.

jbeletti

Works for some, and not for others.

I installed a RO after giving our dogs the horrible water at the Hatteras CG in 2010.

One of the issues with RO is the approximate 1 gallon of RO'd water to 5-7 gallons of waste. That is a lot of waste if you have a limited supply source
Then there is some debate about having RO water being recycled through the RV storage tank, the thought being that multiple passes through a RO system removed all redeeming properties of drinking water in the first place.

I took out the membrane part of the system but continue to use the remaining 4 filters of the system (just for at spigot at the sink). So all water for drinking, coffee dogs etc gets well filtered.
Duane - I haven't measured mine but my system should be at no worse than 2 gallons brine per 1 gallon product. When I reinstall it in the new coach, I may do some testing to determine my waste percentage.

While all the mineral content is stripped from RO water (as I understand it), the health benefits of water hydration is still there :)

kbausano

Duane - I haven't measured mine but my system should be at no worse than 2 gallons brine per 1 gallon product. When I reinstall it in the new coach, I may do some testing to determine my waste percentage.

While all the mineral content is stripped from RO water (as I understand it), the health benefits of water hydration is still there :)

Thanks Jim for all the feedback and research you've done on this topic - really very helpful.

Since you've gone whole-house with your system, would you rank smaller single-output systems ($150-250) as your #2 choice, or would you lean towards a more custom setup as your next-best solution?

jbeletti

Thanks Jim for all the feedback and research you've done on this topic - really very helpful.

Since you've gone whole-house with your system, would you rank smaller single-output systems ($150-250) as your #2 choice, or would you lean towards a more custom setup as your next-best solution?
Ken - It really comes down to your goals for a system. In my case, I wanted to have RO water for 100% of our needs. This meant a larger system with a higher production capacity and a tank large enough to handle our needs as well.

As such, the smaller "point of use" systems wouldn't work for me. I bought the Super Deluxe IIB system from RV Water Filter Store (link). Think of that $530 price as a starting point. To that, I added a second RO membrane (to increase capacity and efficiency), a new water pump, lots and lots of fittings and pipe.

Note to that when Rick owned the store, his fulfillment people would build the system up however the customer wanted. I haven't met the new owner but I have spoken to him briefly. I had different fittings in and out, plus another triple bracket for post treatment (pH and carbon).

kbausano

Ken - It really comes down to your goals for a system. In my case, I wanted to have RO water for 100% of our needs. This meant a larger system with a higher production capacity and a tank large enough to handle our needs as well.

As such, the smaller "point of use" systems wouldn't work for me. I bought the Super Deluxe IIB system from RV Water Filter Store (link). Think of that $530 price as a starting point. To that, I added a second RO membrane (to increase capacity and efficiency), a new water pump, lots and lots of fittings and pipe.

Note to that when Rick owned the store, his fulfillment people would build the system up however the customer wanted. I haven't met the new owner but I have spoken to him briefly. I had different fittings in and out, plus another triple bracket for post treatment (pH and carbon).

You mentioned in an earlier thread that you measured Aquafina to RO water (as I recall, to test for particulates).'my wife and I prefer the taste of both Aquafina and Desani, over almost all other bottled waters. How would you compare the taste of your RO to that of Aquafina?

jbeletti

You mentioned in an earlier thread that you measured Aquafina to RO water (as I recall, to test for particulates).'my wife and I prefer the taste of both Aquafina and Desani, over almost all other bottled waters. How would you compare the taste of your RO to that of Aquafina?
I can't recall the taste of my RO vs Aquafina but I do like our RO water. I correct the pH when it goes into the tank, then run it through a post filter to add some flavor/body to the water.

wdk450

I serviced a large scale RO water treatment system in the hospital for the outpatient dialysis center. RO treated water is like distilled water in that just about all of the dissolved minerals in the water (that give you the TDS readings) are gone. The water is flat, tasteless, and not even recommended by the FDA for consumption, as they prefer you have trace minerals in your drinking water. Most RO treated bottled water goes through "polishing filters" post RO treatment (read the bottled water labels) - these "polishing filters" add trace minerals back into the bottled water for good taste.

I personally use a PUR water filter system pitcher in my refrig for my consumable water. I liked the taste of the water when it was demo'd to me in a store years ago.

porthole

Retired

Of the various bottled waters, Dasani is also my favorite. If you read the label you will see they add minerals for taste.
My second favorite bottled water is whatever I get for free :rolleyes:

farside291

I installed a 6 stage system from Ispring and love it. It fits under the sink and comes with a separate faucet which I mounted on the right corner of the sink. It has a pressurized storage tank. Works fine off the water pump. I took a sample of the water in East Texas and measured 466 ppm using just a blue charcoal filter bought from Walmart, took a sample of Dasani bottled water - 20 ppm, took a sample from the RO faucet - 26 ppm. Works great and taste great and makes clear ice cubes, took about 2 hours for the install. I had to remove the shelf under the sink. I hung the filter assembly on the left side of the sink on the wall and mounted the storage tank on the right side. When I travel I connect air to the trailer water inlet and blow the water out of the system into a couple of gallon jugs and keep in the fridge. This reduces the amount of weight on the wall and shelf under the sink.

jbeletti

I serviced a large scale RO water treatment system in the hospital for the outpatient dialysis center. RO treated water is like distilled water in that just about all of the dissolved minerals in the water (that give you the TDS readings) are gone. The water is flat, tasteless, and not even recommended by the FDA for consumption, as they prefer you have trace minerals in your drinking water. Most RO treated bottled water goes through "polishing filters" post RO treatment (read the bottled water labels) - these "polishing filters" add trace minerals back into the bottled water for good taste.

I personally use a PUR water filter system pitcher in my refrig for my consumable water. I liked the taste of the water when it was demo'd to me in a store years ago.
This is what I am trying to do with a post filter - last step of cleanup of stored (tank) water plus to add some body back to the water (and maybe flavor). We like it :)
Google ChromeScreenSnapz306.jpg

But.... I think I'll try this GAC filter for polishing this year:
Google ChromeScreenSnapz307.jpg

porthole

Retired
Ok you got me - how does a carbon filter and polishing filter add 'taste' back to the water?

As I've mentioned before, I no longer use the RO membrane, but still use the 3 canister filter and 1 polishing filter from the kit. To tell the truth, I really can't tell any taste difference between what comes out of the tap and what I take from the water tap on those 4 filters.

And prior to coming into the trailer the water goes through a dual stage whole house filter, sediment trap and carbon filter.

I'm pretty sure these are the filters I am currently using (not including the whole house filters)
(4th stage I am not using, that is the RO membrane)

TOTAL 4 FILTERS - 1 OF EACH AS FOLLOWING:-
Ø 1 Pc Sediment Filter 5 micron Dirt/Rust 2.5" x 9 7/8"
Ø 1 Pc GAC Coconut shell carbon Filter 2.5" x 9 3/4"
Ø 1 Pc CTO Coconut Shell Carbon Block Filter 2.5" x 9 3/4"
Ø 1 Pc Post inline GAC carbon Filter 2" x 10"

- All Filters are individually wrapped
- Carbon Cartridges are GAC Coconut Shell Carbon Filter. Coconut carbon is a premium carbon that gives
water a great sweeter taste.
Removes chlorine, taste and odour using Coconut Shell Carbon,
Fits all standard 10" X 2.5" Water Filter housings

1[SUP]st[/SUP] Stage
5 Micron Polypropylene Sediment Filter
To remove larger particles & suspended matter such as dirt, silt, rust, sand, algae, sediment, scale particles, dirt and cloudiness from water.
Replace every 6~12 months
2[SUP]nd[/SUP] Stage
GAC Coconut Shell Carbon Filter
Gives your water sweet taste & remove chlorine, pesticides, herbicides, bad taste & odours.
Replace every 6~12 months or lasts 3,000 gallons

3rd Stage
CTO Coconut Shell Carbon Block Filter
To remove small particles and carbon fines may pass from second stage & to ensure 100% of chlorine removal.
Replace every 6~12 months or lasts 3,000 gallons.
4[SUP]th[/SUP] Stage
Membrane - (This stage filter " membrane" is not Included in this package)
5[SUP]th[/SUP] Stage
Inline GAC Coconut Shell Carbon Filter
Polishing GAC Post filter for a sweeter taste for the water and removes any taste or odour the water may have picked up while sitting in the tank.
Replace every 6 months or lasts 1,500 gallons

jbeletti

Ok you got me - how does a carbon filter and polishing filter add 'taste' back to the water?
No - you got me! I have no idea how it does or even "IF" it does. A layman like me relies on what they can find out online.

Maybe instead of beer tasting, we should have a water tasting one afternoon in Goshen :) Maybe not :)

GAC (granular activated carbon) seems to be common for this purpose. Here's one (of many) resources I used (link):

question.jpg

What does each filter do in a residential RO System?
answer.jpg

Our AAA series residential reverse osmosis systems are 5-stage systems.

Stage 1 is a 5 Micron Sediment filter, to remove suspended solids such as dirt, dust and rust from the water. This helps to extend the life of the membrane and filters downstream by removing any particles which can clog and damage them.

Stage 2 & 3 are carbon block filters to remove chlorine, taste and odor from the water. It is important to have these upstream from the RO membrane in a system, as they remove the chlorine which will damage the membrane if it comes into contact.

Stage 4 is the RO (reverse osmosis) Membrane which removes 98% of the total dissolved solids in the water. This is where the purification takes place.

Stage 5 is a GAC (granular activated carbon) "polishing filter" which the water passes through right before going to the faucet. This helps to improve the flavor of the water, and to remove any taste or odor that the water may have developed while in the storage tank.