Induction cooktop failing??

TxCowboy

DW and I were chatting last night with another late model Landmark owner about how much we love our LMs. :) We did mention that we were having an issue with the 18 month old induction cooktop.

Specifically, we noticed over the past few weeks that the right side burner was now taking noticeably longer to heat items than the left side burner. As an example, boiling water on the right side can take twice as long or more than heating the same amount of water in the same pan but using the left hand burner.

Our friend said that his acted the same way just before it started throwing failure codes then failed totally a few days after that.

Seems like we may need to play a call to HL about this on Monday but not sure it will be a warranty issue until the cooktop totally fails.

Has anyone encountered this issue and what did you do?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Not yet but thanks for sharing. Let us know what they say.
Our has always taken about 10 minutes to boil water... It's horrible !!!
I wish we had gas.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jbeletti

Jeff - I haven't heard of any failures but yours sounds like it's going. I too have found it takes forever to boil water. I use a separate induction single burner to boil water.

Call Heartland on Monday to see if they'll replace it. Likely should "if" you're coach is still within the 2 year warranty period from DOP (date of purchase).

TxCowboy

Jeff - I haven't heard of any failures but yours sounds like it's going. I too have found it takes forever to boil water. I use a separate induction single burner to boil water.

Call Heartland on Monday to see if they'll replace it. Likely should "if" you're coach is still within the 2 year warranty period from DOP (date of purchase).

Yeah, should have mentioned in the OP that our Landmark is still under the two year warranty period.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yeah, should have mentioned in the OP that our Landmark is still under the two year warranty period.

Is this the "True Induction" brand?

Would you say that burner that is failing was used more or less than the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garypowell

Put in my own True Induction 4 yeas ago by taking out gas stove. It has worked flawlessly. Still boils water in less than a minute.

Two thoughts:

1. The boiling water thing is more gimmick than useful fact. If you have a pot full for corn or pasta it is still going to take a while....like 3 - 4 minutes but still faster than gas.

2. If you are using the other burner it can limit the power to the other. If you are heating by numbers both sides can only add up to 10. As you raise one burner up so the total would be 11 the other side drops a number.

You our can defeat this....at least on my unit by using numbers on one side and temperature on the other. In this configuration both can run full blast. They might have "fixed" this after mine.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

We boil water for cooking chicken for the dog every other day. It takes a least 10 minutes to start bubbling let alone actually cook the chicken. And we bought the best induction cookware we could buy.
I wonder if this is just us or is it normal ?

rxbristol

We boil water for cooking chicken for the dog every other day. It takes a least 10 minutes to start bubbling let alone actually cook the chicken. And we bought the best induction cookware we could buy.
I wonder if this is just us or is it normal ?

I've never timed my induction, except I know it's faster than the gas stove we used to have before I replaced it with the induction. No one mentioned how much water they are trying to boil (pint, one or two quarts). I bet the quality of the pan (type of metal) will make a difference or if the pan has a warped bottom meaning less contact or even the size of the pan. Some pans have sandwich bottoms that may work on an induction cooktop, but may not be the best conductor (aluminum vs copper).

Garypowell

Just boiled 2 quarts of water twice....just to see. SS IKEA pot. True induction set to 10.

~ 20 seconds to see heat ripples

30 SEC - 1 min bubbles forming and starting to rise.

5 - 6 minutes steam rising

10 - 14 minutes rolling boil

first number is right side.....second number is left side.

Even right side seems slower than I thought it would be but a lot of inconsistency between sides.

So so maybe what you are seeing is normal.

Linda knows the induction starts faster (burned a few things) but thinks gas would boil that much water faster.

Interesting!

mlpeloquin

I have the gas stove and oven in my Big Horn, but won a plug in single burner induction plate at the national rally in Los Vegas. Could not be happier. It is rare that we use the gas burners any more. It definitely takes much less time to boil water. We noticed that the cheep pans we had boiled water much faster than the fancy pans that we replaced them with. I took a magnet to make sure that the pans were induction pans. The cheep pans were 100% magnetic and the new pans have a three inch bottom ring that is magnetic. Iron pans and stainless steel with nickel in them will be magnetic. The more surface area that is magnetic the better. The induction plates heat by inducing eddy currents into the metal. The really cheep pans were much better than the nice set. It takes seven minuets to boil 60% filled pan with water and the old ones four.

Poofam

We have CIRCULON pans and are the best cookware we have used. Never timed it but fry pans cook evenly and fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TxCowboy

Is this the "True Induction" brand?

Would you say that burner that is failing was used more or less than the other?

It's the Tru Induction cooktop that comes standard in the Landmarks. And I normally use the right hand burner the most and that is the one that seems to now take longer to heat up.

mlpeloquin

Do you have a Progressive Industries surge/voltage protector? Without it you could have experienced an under voltage. Then again you have a 365 and it may have it built in. Thankfully we have one that saved us. 100V to 105V at Lake Havasu Crazy Horse Campground in January. Most of the time drawing 4 amps AC would trip the Progressive do to under voltage. An under voltage would damage the induction unit. Otherwise it very well maybe an early failure of the cook top.

By the way Crazy Horse Campground is now under a new owner and they are rewiring the park.

TxCowboy

Do you have a Progressive Industries surge/voltage protector? Without it you could have experienced an under voltage. Then again you have a 365 and it may have it built in. Thankfully we have one that saved us. 100V to 105V at Lake Havasu Crazy Horse Campground in January. Most of the time drawing 4 amps AC would trip the Progressive do to under voltage. An under voltage would damage the induction unit. Otherwise it very well maybe an early failure of the cook top.

By the way Crazy Horse Campground is now under a new owner and they are rewiring the park.

We have whatever the stock LM surge protector is that was installed on the Key West plus an additional inline Surge Guard protector at the pole. L1 and L2 are both showing 119 volts on the monitor screen with two ACs running so there's probably not an under-voltage issue.

TxCowboy

OK, not sure if there's a problem or not. I just did a test on my burners using a three quart saucepan and four cups of water. The left side took about six minutes to start the water boiling. After letting the pan cool, I tested the right side, same pan and the same amount of water, and it took about ten minutes.

I then did the same test on my buddy's Landmark just now with his new (newer) induction cooktop but using my cookware, and his cooktop took almost the exact same time to boil water. Seems one side is just stronger than the other.

I've decided that this seem to be pretty normal but, if and when this cooktop starts throwing error codes, I'm just making something out of nothing.

AlwaysOnLiberty

Wow! Chiming in a little later because I thought I was crazy but our True Induction is giving me fits. I'm cook a ton so this is important to me. Over the course of the last few months, I've been finding my cooktop is doing the same darn thing. Last night, I made a Chicken Bouillabaisse on the left burner in a large deep skillet and was 'trying' to boil water for my pasta on the right. It took F--O--R--E--V--E--R to boil the water causing my plating to be off. So frustrating. So, hmmmm, something to add to our warranty list to be looked at in Elkhart when our Landmark goes in for warranty repair service. I'll at least get it documented, right?

jimtoo

If you use one burner you get good full heat,, if you use both you only get total of one burner. This is from owners manual.

True Induction’s Power Invariance Technology:The maximum power of an individual burner level is at setting 10. But when operating both burners, their combined totalis level 10, meaning that when operating the two burners at the same time, they’ll self adjust levels accordingly.When you increase the power of one side, the power output of the other side will reduce automatically (i.e., one side is at6, the other burner automatically reduces power to level 4, creating a total max 10 setting).If one side of the double burner is using HEAT function and the other side uses the TEMP settings, the maximum HEATsetting is “5”.

Jim M

AlwaysOnLiberty

I've read that but it still shouldn't take that long to boil water. That's a serious flaw in design. Think about when you cook spaghetti sauce and boil the pasta. Even if you had the sauce on medium, its going to take more than 'medium' to even get the pasta water to boiling point.

If you use one burner you get good full heat,, if you use both you only get total of one burner. This is from owners manual.

True Induction’s Power Invariance Technology:The maximum power of an individual burner level is at setting 10. But when operating both burners, their combined totalis level 10, meaning that when operating the two burners at the same time, they’ll self adjust levels accordingly.When you increase the power of one side, the power output of the other side will reduce automatically (i.e., one side is at6, the other burner automatically reduces power to level 4, creating a total max 10 setting).If one side of the double burner is using HEAT function and the other side uses the TEMP settings, the maximum HEATsetting is “5”.

Jim M

Garypowell

I'll repost my experience when I installed a 2 burner True Induction in my BH 3010 back in 2013 and removed the propane stove and cooktop.

I certainly noticed the 10 rule but if you put one side on numbers and the other side on degrees they will both go full blast.

I learned this trick straight from True Induction.

Now.....they might have fixed this "bug" but give it a try.