Water Filter Question - Landmark

BarbandFrank

We have a 2016 Landmark Key West and would like to replace the water filter. The literature that came with the RV does not contain information about the type of replacement filter needed. Can anyone tell me what brand/type of filter to purchase? Thanks.

Frank

jbeletti

We have a 2016 Landmark Key West and would like to replace the water filter. The literature that came with the RV does not contain information about the type of replacement filter needed. Can anyone tell me what brand/type of filter to purchase? Thanks.

Frank

Frank - use any brand of "standard" filter cartridge replacements. See examples here.

Mburtsvt

Frank

Enclosed is a picture on what came with our Landmark last year. It’s model number “P5” from Culligan. I have no idea where they go! They were not installed in my RV. Someone said there is a panel in the storage compartment that comes off, but I can’t believe that Heartland made it that hard to install, so I just ignore them. My brothers RV has a filter system in the UDC area of his RV. It’s hard to believe that it was not designed for user accessibility, but you never know.

IMG_1660.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1660.JPG
    IMG_1660.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 55

jbeletti

Enclosed is a picture on what came with our Landmark last year. It’s model number “P5” from Culligan. I have no idea where they go! They were not installed in my RV. Someone said there is a panel in the storage compartment that comes off, but I can’t believe that Heartland made it that hard to install, so I just ignore them. My brothers RV has a filter system in the UDC area of his RV. It’s hard to believe that it was not designed for user accessibility, but you never know.

Mike - there's a filter housing plumbed into your water system. Yes, you do need to remove the panel behind the UDC to access it.

One benefit to having it there is it's much less likely to freeze and burst during cold weather camping. That said, many here have added filter housing inside their UDC. Get's pretty cozy in that small space with a filter in it though.

danemayer

View attachment 50717

Hi Mburtsvt,

It's pretty easy to modify the panel on the rear wall of the pass through basement storage so that it can be easily removed. There are plenty of reasons to go behind that wall from time-to-time, and many of us have made access easier. I used to have a piano hinge along the bottom edge with a bungee cord holding the top in place. When I installed a sliding tray in the storage area, I removed the hinge and mounted C-Channel on the floor. The panel sits in the C-Channel and is still held at the top by a bungee cord. Others have cut access doors into the panel. Others have converted to a sliding door arrangement.

The point is that it's handy to have access to the plumbing and electrical components behind the wall. The water filter is just one more component.

It's be nice if Heartland found a simple way to address this, but since they haven't, we each get to decide how we want to approach it.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I finally found the pictures.
Ours came with the 2 replacement and one inside the filter itself.
Look in the drawer under your stairs. That's where our filters and touch up paint was.

809d5bc7cd24783dcbe2143706b6688a.jpg

888abf78c9a513ddc1bafc04017477a9.jpg

aa1315141ef38e50ed7c6e6cd04fcc5c.jpg

With the huge Landmark basement it's not that hard to get to. While your in there you can do some cleaning up from all of the trash the factory leaves in there. And possibly look at cutting some of the angled wall to gain more space. Also install some stopper blocks to screw that small section of wall into. That will make it easier to remove next time.

Hope this helps
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mburtsvt

Hi Mburtsvt,

It's pretty easy to modify the panel on the rear wall of the pass through basement storage so that it can be easily removed. There are plenty of reasons to go behind that wall from time-to-time, and many of us have made access easier. I used to have a piano hinge along the bottom edge with a bungee cord holding the top in place. When I installed a sliding tray in the storage area, I removed the hinge and mounted C-Channel on the floor. The panel sits in the C-Channel and is still held at the top by a bungee cord. Others have cut access doors into the panel. Others have converted to a sliding door arrangement.

The point is that it's handy to have access to the plumbing and electrical components behind the wall. The water filter is just one more component.

It's be nice if Heartland found a simple way to address this, but since they haven't, we each get to decide how we want to approach it.

No it is not!

You hit upon my point - why is it that hard to replace! It’s a standard replacement item that would need change out every year to perform correctly. I would have to get on my stomach and slide into the storage area to remove a panel with screws to get behind the UDC. I have a Madison - I’m 6 feet -275 pounds and 61 years old - NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!

User accessibility for a replacement item was not a consideration is this design.

Mburtsvt

I’m trying to not let my past background in “User accessibility testing” interfere with what designers overlooked in production of my Landmark. Just a little more intelligence in design and engineering at a minimal cost would product a “quality of design” product.

First - The panel behind the UDC for access is NOT a user accessible panel - ITS A SERVICE PANNEL. It was NOT designed for user accessibility. I know that will be hard for some to understand, but it’s made for servicing the water pump and plumbing by service techs - not the end user. The water filter should not be there. I get that some people need to get access to that panel, but at the end of the day it was not designed for end user to access. If it was - more effort and DOCUMENTATION would be provided on the functions of that area.

I could go on, but I have church in 30
minutes.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My take
You wouldn't want it in your basement taking up space. Or possibly leaking on your stuff.
You wouldn't want it hanging down underneath where it can freeze or get hit by road debris.
You wouldn't want it inside the coach.
In the basement behind the wall it stays clean and cool in the summer warm in the winter.
In my opinion it is a perfect​ place for it. I don't have to lug it out every time I hook up and put it back when we pack up.
I only need to access it maybe once a year.
I'm 6' 275 also, I can sit up inside my basement.
I spend hours in there playing around behind that wall.
My entire wall both sections can come out in less then 5 min.

Of course this is just my 2 cents

You can always just pull the filter out and run it or bypass it altogether. And run your own system out on the ground.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

We have on order a BC 3560 SS and this has been a question I've asked because our current coach has a whole coach water filter which is accessible due to being in open area above water pump and just behind water heater. Looking at UDS, why not just make them a tad bigger to accommodate a water filter? Would seem simple enough to do at factory. This way, any water leakage would go down thru access hole at bottom of UDS. Another HL owner posted a pic of a in-line filter he attached to sidewall of UDS. Looked tight, but was not on the ground, and as I pointed out, any water leaks would be confined to this area only.

BarbandFrank

View attachment 50717
I do believe the water filter is behind the panel in the basement. Just a few screws to get access.

carl.swoyer

I put mine in the cargo bay. Much easier to replace. I haven't spent alot of real cold camping but if I did I could put a fan on the wall and pull some warm air or Styrofoam insulation.
66c2fc07def2ab29668d480416eb0b8a.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mburtsvt

Well, — lets all think. Where would be a better place for the water filter. We need to change it every years so behind a wall would not be the first place . We need to change the filter every year - so someplace that we would see all the time.

I have a crazy idea - PUT IT HERE!

Next up- Why do we have ankle level fuse panels? But I digress.
thisone.jpg

danemayer

Well, — lets all think. Where would be a better place for the water filter. We need to change it every years so behind a wall would not be the first place . We need to change the filter every year - so someplace that we would see all the time.

I have a crazy idea - PUT IT HERE!

Next up- Why do we have ankle level fuse panels? But I digress.
View attachment 50718

I've done quite a bit of camping in sub-zero weather, so that location wouldn't be so great for me. I'm sure I'd wake up one morning with a cracked housing.

And the wider UDC to make room for the water filter would no doubt cause other design trade-offs. My water heater and furnace would both have to move further to the rear to make room, or the cargo area would have to be smaller on that side - and it's already smaller. And there's not a lot of extra room around the water heater and furnace on my rig.

Btw, if you're not planning on changing that filter regularly, and probably more than 1 time per year, you best make sure there's no filter in the the cannister. If a filter was installed by your dealer, it would be a sediment filter that over time will clog and reduce water flow. And it may over time collect bacteria.

jbeletti

We have on order a BC 3560 SS and this has been a question I've asked because our current coach has a whole coach water filter which is accessible due to being in open area above water pump and just behind water heater. Looking at UDS, why not just make them a tad bigger to accommodate a water filter? Would seem simple enough to do at factory. This way, any water leakage would go down thru access hole at bottom of UDS. Another HL owner posted a pic of a in-line filter he attached to sidewall of UDS. Looked tight, but was not on the ground, and as I pointed out, any water leaks would be confined to this area only.
I "think" only Landmark comes with the filter at this time.

Mburtsvt

Unfortunately a standard response to such an issue would be to discontinue the feature. Not saying Heartland would do that, but it’s a standard response when the re-design and re-engineering involved exceeds the perceived customer benefit.

At the end of the day the end user is required to remove a service panel, (I get it that end users are coming up with access solutions, but it was never intended to be an end user access panel), to replace a consumer user replaceable product that has a projected life expectancy, (water filter). I’m having a hard time recalling any other product I use that requires that.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I haven't seen any Big Country's or Big Horns with filters from the factory.

I think you are correct. In our Big Country we use the Camco blue filters from WalMart that attach in-line to the hose. We tried a full-sized filter setup from the rv water filter store, and always seemed to have issues.

If we start having flow issues, the blue filter is not hard to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think you are correct. In our Big Country we use the Camco blue filters from WalMart that attach in-line to the hose. We tried a full-sized filter setup from the rv water filter store, and always seemed to have issues.

If we start having flow issues, the blue filter is not hard to replace.

What kind of issues? I've been using their products in my two filter tote system since 2009. I did try putting a filter from the big box store in once. No flow. Gasket was missing.