MCD Shades Bighorn

rmathews

2016 Bighorn 3585RL.
Our MCD shade in front of the dining room table retracted fast and slammed all the way up. It was then locked up and couldn't be retrieved. I pushed the button on the right side and it releases it to be un rolled , and it will not go back up unless I hold the same release tab and manually roll it up.
Is there any way to fix this, or do so need to buy a new one ?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

rxbristol

If you contact MCD they will send you a repair pamphlet. I have had one broken spring which I repaired myself (bought repair spring from MCD) and one spring that just came unwound which was easy to repair with the manual. It sounds like your spring popped loose and just needs to be reset. Contact MCD and they will send you the information.

happykraut

[FONT=&quot]MCD Innovations
3303 North MCDonald St.
McKinney, TX 75071[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Phone: 800.804.1757
or 972.548.1850
Fax: 972.542.4881[/FONT]

rmathews

Thank you for the contact information. I have sent the technical support team at MCD a request for a repair manual.

Mrz

You're welcome. Good luck.

I have a 2017 BH and can't figure out how to get the shades off so I can adjust them. Seems like they're attached to the curtain balance but I don't know how to remove it. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmathews

If you look up at the shades with a flashlight you will see metal clips that hold them in. Just take a flat blade screw driver and carefully push the tabs releasing the shade ..one side at a time.

rmathews

Is it difficult to clip back in? Looks relatively simple with a helper to help hold it up.

gasman

Camp Socializer
To reinstall them, you simply hook the backside into the clip and then snap the front side into the bracket. I've had mine off an dback on several times. It seems that if you swear at them a little, it scares them back into place!

As for the spring issue, when you remove the blind you will see a slotted screw head on the left end of the blind. Insert a screwdriver and depress the screw while turning in a clockwise (I believe) direction approximately 13 - 15 complete turns. Release the screwdriver allowing the screw to snap back into place. Pull down the blind to see how you've done. If is is too tight, simply back the adjustment off a turn or two. If not tight enough, add a turn or two.
I thought for sure my spring was broken until I removed and inspected the spring and could not find a problem so I decided to try rewinding the spring and it has worked fine for 2 or 3 weeks now.

lynndiwagoner

I didn't mean that clipping them back in was impossible, it's just pretty tricky getting your hand up under that valance. Two people would make it much easier. They are worth the hassle....

rmathews

I took a screw driver and wound up the spring, but the blind is stuck in the rolled up position.
I contacted MCD but received no response yet.

rxbristol

If the spring is still set, you've put too much tension on it. It's a fine balance between the tension and the stop set.

rmathews

Tension or no tension on the spring,.the blind is stuck..will not unroll. It slammed up and locked up.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
Tension or no tension on the spring,.the blind is stuck..will not unroll. It slammed up and locked up.

Rick.........Fix the tension first then put your shade back up and make sure it's locked in place.

Now this is what I was told by the MCD factory.......
Now take hold of each side and pull hard in a downward direction and it will release the stop. I have had to do this many times.

Hope this helps.

mlpeloquin

Just in case you want to remove the valance, use a magnet. They are held on with the same screw fasteners that almost everything else is. A good strong magnet will find the screw heads quickly. They come off easy and go back up easy. Don't need to for the blinds, but if you are changing out from the standard shade to the MCD, or want to change the material on the valance, it isn't a hard thing to do.

rmathews

I called MCD and they emailed me directions to get the shade unstuck.
This is after taking the shade to my local dealership - and to be told it would be cheaper to buy a new one...

Attached are documents that hopefully could help others in the future.

Attachments

• AutoStop-Replacement.pdf
    44.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Autostop Stuck Position.jpg
    Autostop Stuck Position.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Autostop Normal Position.jpg
    Autostop Normal Position.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 26