Ford Blind Spot for trailers (2017)

CoChris

Hello. I have been lurking (and learning) a lot on these forums. Great group of people and a great source of information. Thank you from the shadows :).

I have ordered a Ford F-350 specifically for towing a 5er. Should be here in a couple of weeks. I just read in the owners manual (trying to pass the time - waiting is hard!) that the Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) for trailer ONLY works with tag (conventional) trailers. I went to the dealer and tried it out on a rig they had in stock. It worked (let me configure BLIS for) a tag trailer, but sure enough, as soon as I selected either a 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel or gooseneck for trailer type, it disables the BLIS system entirely. The dealer, who has gone through all of the official training and was a trailer “expert” was not aware of this limitation until I showed him.

Now my questions,
· Has anyone used the Ford BLIS (I think it is new for 2017 model year) system with a 5[SUP]th[/SUP] wheel?
· How well does it work for you?
· How did you get it to work (by telling it you have a tag or ???)?
· Does anyone know if selecting “tag” trailer in the configuration settings changes any other parameters on the truck ( like sway control or braking)? I have the question into Ford, but no answer yet.

I have not seen this issue discussed. If I missed it, accept my apologies and please (gently) redirect me.

Again, thank you to everyone for all of the good information

Colorado Chris (AKA the Newbie)

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have the awesome new 2017 F-350 DRW
That system will only work on the bumper pull Trailer. You have to set it up with a tape measure and apply stickers to the top of the tongue of the trailer. The tailgate camera will see those stickers and tell you what to do I geuss.
IT WILL NOT WORK on 5th wheel or goose neck Trailers​.
Pull Trailer only.

If you get the TPMS and rear Trailer camera system it's a little bit of work to set up but we'll worth it when your done.

Love this truck
If you have any questions just let me know. ...
I waited 4 long long month for mine.
I was going crazy. Looking at YouTube videos and websites.

Enjoy
Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CoChris

Hi Jarrod. I think you have the "trailer reverse guidance", which required the target sticker on the tongue and the "blind spot" systems confused. However, you are correct that both systems only work with a tag trailer, not a 5th wheel or gooseneck. :(

Enjoy your new TV. The new trucks are really impressive in both capability and features.

sjandbj

I was very disappointed when I found out that Ford had limited the blind spot detection to Tag trailers only. I cannot figure out why. Maybe in a future release of the software of hack of the system this will work. But i love my new truck anyhow.

CoChris

I too am disappointed in Ford not disclosing that the "Blind Spot for trailers" only works for tag trailers in their marketing information. I suspect the reason they disable it for 5th wheel and gooseneck trailers is the front of these trailers sit closer to the sensor (in the rear tail light) then a tag and cause a larger area that the sensor can not see. So the 5ers and gooseneck have blind spot in the blind spot system.:rolleyes:

Otherwise I think these are great trucks. A huge upgrade from my '95 Chevy 1 ton (to say the least!). 2 weeks ETA and counting.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Hi Jarrod. I think you have the "trailer reverse guidance", which required the target sticker on the tongue and the "blind spot" systems confused. However, you are correct that both systems only work with a tag trailer, not a 5th wheel or gooseneck. :(

Enjoy your new TV. The new trucks are really impressive in both capability and features.
You are correct
Thanks
I love my new truck

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk