Some boondocking advice needed

Matthias

Fulltimer
Hi everyone,

this weekend I am off to my first boondocking experience in the Tonto National Forest. I have no experience with how to pick a space and what to look for. I read that in most of the National Forest dispersed camping is allowed unless marked otherwise.

Is there anything about picking the right spot that I should be aware of, besides the obvious like slope and drain ditches, etc.? Anything I need to look for?

Do I just take some sideroad and pick a nice area and place my trailer besides the road?

I figure I should take a side road that loops back to the main road so I don't run the risk of having to turn around on some tiny road.

Any other related advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Matthias

Uncle Rog

Matthias, the basics that we use are find the most level area you can find with as much clear space as possible. When you start setting up tables, chairs, generators etc. things start to get spread out fairly quickly. Besides being a good hiding spot for critters it is a pain in the neck to have to step over a bush or rock every time you go in or out of the trailer. Especially this time of the year I would find the highest elevation I could, and when parking think about having the awning side facing eastward to cut down on the AM sun and PM heat. Also if you know the area or can check it out figure out which way the wind comes from the most, if you have a fire it is a nice thing to have the smoke blowing away from the door! You already have the right idea about having to back up, If you have any doubts at all, walk the road first to be sure you are not headed into a cliff out, or no turn situation. I did that once on the north rim with a Suburban pulling a 24' TT, wasn't pretty, took most of the day to get turned around.....................

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Another thing to watch closely is overhead branches both on the roads in and your site. Have a great trip!

Matthias

Fulltimer
Great advice, thanks. Since I don't have a generator yet and can't ran the AC on the trip, me and the gf are planning to go to the Mogollon Rim which is at about 7000 feet. I think remembering overhead clearance at all times is something I really need to constantly remind myself of.

timk

Matthias,
1, get out of AZ its hot there.
2, set up lawn chair.
3, pop a top.
4, enjoy.

lsomers

Matthais,
My husband and I went scounting first with truck only, in the Coconino Natl Forest, where there are also dispersed sites. We explored side roads and identified ones we felt comfortable pulling our trailer on. Looked at dispersed campsites too. Many of them, as you've probably discovered, have a big turning circle, so you can turn around right there. If you don't live locally, you might try camping one night in a formal campground in the area and take your truck out for the exploration. Chose a site or area, then pull in the next day.

Matthias

Fulltimer
Thanks again for all the responses.

Everything went well on the trip, the only issue we ran into was that the battery had died after the first night. I had to run the truck as generator for a bit but the battery didn't hold any charge so we had to go get a new one. Looks like a generator is #1 on my shopping list now.

b1.jpg

Luckily no opposing traffic here...

b2.jpg

I can't wait to go again !!!

Matthias

Uncle Rog

Look'n good Mathias, I was remiss by not thinking about the power deal, one battery under the best conditions will not last very long. If you are using the fantastic fan or any lights, one day, can run a single cell down in no time. We have four 6v batteries, and a 12v reserve. Do a search for others with multi cell combo's. You have the right idea about the generator, they really are handy and can save you from making that trip to town.....a couple of hours every other day will keep the lights burning bright!

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Hello Mathias, We do mostly boondocking camping . I found if the climate control switch is on this will kill your battery fast !! Top right hand corner of refgerator.The Manual states turn off unless hooked up too electric !!