For All Of You Who Have "Large" Rigs

BigGuy82

From the RV-Roadtrips - "RVing Guide":

"In California you even need a special endorsement on your drivers license to tow any trailer over 10,000 lbs or [FONT=Roboto, sans-serif]to drive a motorhome that is over 40 feet in length." I'm from NY, so where do I get this "endorsement"? Do I need to get it before entering the state? How do I do that? Does it require a road test? If I drive into the state in order to take a road test and/or get the endorsement, am I breaking the law just driving to do that? Am I going to get cited if stopped, even though I don't live there? How much is the fine?[/FONT]

[FONT=Roboto, sans-serif]Why am I not surprised? Residents of CA, please don't take this personally, but the state you live in really is a total joke - not just because of this but because of multiple other ridiculous laws. This is just the whipped cream on the sundae. True, every state has it's quirks, but this state really is a beaut. However, I digress.

Life simplified! My solution for this silly law is simple - don't go to (or spend money in) CA. Just go around. It is, after all, at the end of the country, so there's no need to pass through and even though there is some very beautiful geography, there's lots of that elsewhere. I'm sure that CA won't miss me any more than I miss it.
[/FONT]

OEFVET

"In California you even need a special endorsement on your drivers license to tow any trailer over 10,000 lbs or to drive a motorhome that is over 40 feet in length." I'm from NY, so where do I get this "endorsement"? Do I need to get it before entering the state? How do I do that? Does it require a road test? If I drive into the state in order to take a road test and/or get the endorsement, am I breaking the law just driving to do that? Am I going to get cited if stopped, even though I don't live there? How much is the fine?

Are you asking? or just venting?

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Why am I not surprised? Residents of CA, please don't take this personally, but the state you live in really is a total joke - not just because of this but because of multiple other ridiculous laws. This is just the whipped cream on the sundae. True, every state has it's quirks, but this state really is a beaut. However, I digress.

Life simplified! My solution for this silly law is simple - don't go to (or spend money in) CA. Just go around. It is, after all, at the end of the country, so there's no need to pass through and even though there is some very beautiful geography, there's lots of that elsewhere. I'm sure that CA won't miss me any more than I miss it.

Don't take it personally but we feel the same way about NY. Having lived in CA if you can get past the high taxes on everything, the stops out in the middle of nowhere where you are asked what country you are from, and the other stops where they steal your fruit from you if you have any, its not bad to visit.

BigGuy82

Don't take it personally but we feel the same way about NY. Having lived in CA if you can get past the high taxes on everything, the stops out in the middle of nowhere where you are asked what country you are from, and the other stops where they steal your fruit from you if you have any, its not bad to visit.

Me take it personal? Not a chance. I'm loyal to my country, not my state. I'm not a fan of either state, but NY doesn't have nearly the number of screwy "propositions" and laws. Think about the wisdom of having a law that no other state has and that is nearly impossible to comply with by an out-of-stater. Since I don't need to drive through, I'll just drive around?

If I didn't have a huge family in NY, I'd move to TX, AL, NC, SC, TN, SD in a nano-second. However, separating mama from the kids/grandkids is a non-starter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OEFVET

If you really are concerned you can get an endorsement on your NY license. Since you have a fifth wheel it would be a class A non-commercial license. However the face of the license would still look like a commercial driver's license. It still requires a written test and road test with your truck and RV attached. By having this license you would be legal to drive in all States with your truck and rig.

Mburtsvt

I think your ok with your NY license, all states recipracate.

Correct answer!

Visit all you want. If your home state does not require you to have a special endorsement ... no other state can enforce their "special endorsement" on you. You still have to follow the sate law on posted weight restrictions, but the non- resident state can't force you to get an additional endorsement.

So the real answer is not to live or have a large RV in state that require special endorsement on your DL.

Lynn1130

Yeah, and we are overrun with people from both of those states who get here then want to change it all to be like where they came from. ;)

We don't need that. We have law makers that are crazy enough without more help.

BigGuy82

If you really are concerned you can get an endorsement on your NY license. Since you have a fifth wheel it would be a class A non-commercial license. However the face of the license would still look like a commercial driver's license. It still requires a written test and road test with your truck and RV attached. By having this license you would be legal to drive in all States with your truck and rig.

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

Actually, I'm legal in all states now, except CA, hence my post.

mlpeloquin

I got the endorsement because I live here. Just needed to take the Class A written test. No driving or inspection is required for the endorsement. If you live in any other state and have a drivers license from that state, you are fine to drive here. If I lived in Massachusetts the only requirement would be Massachusetts equivalent of California's Class C for automobiles. As long as it is an RV no other requirements for weight or length, Class A, fifth wheel, or Class C.

Now the reason not to come here might be the new 20 cents per gallon increase for Diesel fuel when it takes effect.

kowAlski631

If you've satisfied the requirements of your state of residence, you're good to drive in all states. It's California residents that are sc###ed.

Lynn1130

I guess I have to ask if anyone thinks that CHP does not have enough to do and will be running up and down the freeways pulling over RVs to check to see if they have the correct endorsement for their license? If you get pulled over for some infraction then they might, and I emphasize might consider that when pulling you over but otherwise, keep on trucking and don't worry about it. Sorry but this just seems like a lot to do about nothing.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I guess I have to ask if anyone thinks that CHP does not have enough to do and will be running up and down the freeways pulling over RVs to check to see if they have the correct endorsement for their license? If you get pulled over for some infraction then they might, and I emphasize might consider that when pulling you over but otherwise, keep on trucking and don't worry about it. Sorry but this just seems like a lot to do about nothing.

With all of the stories out there available to read about people getting into a bind because of local and state laws I think it is wise to know where you are traveling. Ever watch the show Live PD? It is amazing how fast situations change for people when they get pulled over for a tail light out, and the next thing they know they are hand cuffed and the "authorities" are tossing their vehicle because they "smelled" something. It is worse in some parts of the country than others. They say on that show a couple times a night "ignorance is not a defense".

Lynn1130

I lived "Live PD" for 35 years and the people who end up handcuffed in the back of the car are those that make bad decisions their entire lives, not some 65 year old RV driver going down the road with his wife and two dogs.

Most of those "stories" are just that but if you get pulled over for a tail light and the officer "smells something" then you probably should not be toking up in the RV because that was one of those "bad decisions" that get you handcuffed and sitting on the curb.

Ignorance is not a defense but you can't fix stupid.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I lived "Live PD" for 35 years and the people who end up handcuffed in the back of the car are those that make bad decisions their entire lives, not some 65 year old RV driver going down the road with his wife and two dogs.

Most of those "stories" are just that but if you get pulled over for a tail light and the officer "smells something" then you probably should not be toking up in the RV because that was one of those "bad decisions" that get you handcuffed and sitting on the curb.

Ignorance is not a defense but you can't fix stupid.

Years ago an entire police department in CO had a class action lawsuit brought against them, and they lost, because of tactics involving they "smelled" something. Cost them a bunch of money. That is what I am talking about. Leo's pulling folks over, saying they smell something to gain access to your vehicle, and they giving you a ticket for a local law you had no idea about, because they can. No one can deny this does not happen. It may not be common among rvers but why not? I worked in EMS for about a third of my life and have seen enough to respect leo's for what they do, but know enough not to instantly trust them all either. A cop in most cases is not your friend when they pull you over. That knowledge makes what the op commented on particularly important in certain areas of this country.

dykesj11

Here's something to consider if you are licensed in CA as we have been until now. This was posted somewhere on HO site previously. It is not CHP or other law enforcement you need to worry much about. But if you fit requirement for a non-CDL Class A as many of the larger Heartlands do but don't have one and you are involved in an accident, your insurance company may consider that you were driving without the proper license. That can lead to major problems. I took the written test which was a cinch. Missed driving test appt and then decided to reside in Tx. But I understand driving test is not difficult. Just my opinion - it probably is an unwarranted risk not to take care of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kjm1970

You need an R endorsement in NY when your combined GVW is over 26000lbs so chances are if you have a dually and a 15k GVW 5th wheel you need it. NY/DOT will usually only enforce that when there is an accident or if some quota's need to be met. There is a road test (don't show up unless you have someone with an R or that have a CDL with you) A new F350 has a 14000lb GVW, if you have a toy hauler their GVW'S usually start at 18000lbs.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk