Weight distribution hitch on NT 22 FBS

bp24kel

Heartland documentation says hitch weight is 380 pounds which is about 5% of GVWR of 6900 instead of the 10 to 15% I've read about. This sounds too light, is it correct? Will a weight distribution system help or hurt me and what are the specs that I should be looking for?

danemayer

Hi bp24kel,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Looking at the floor plan, it appears most of the internal weight is close to being centered over the wheels, so it's possible the unloaded trailer could have that low a hitch weight. But by the time you load up your stuff, the number will go up.

Hopefully there's a North Trail 22FBS owner who has gotten an actual weight and can share what you can expect.

Power247

Welcome!!! Your rig might ship from the factory near 380 lbs but it won't be that light when you load it up with all your​ stuff. You'll be surprised at how much stuff weighs :) You definitely need a weight distribution hitch. We have a Equal-i-zer hitch (max rated at 10,000 lbs) that we carried over from our previous TT. It's the only one​I have ever had but I like it a lot.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

jnv

We had our NT 22FBS weighed at the Nat'l Rally in VA. It was fully loaded and our tongue weight was 650 lbs. We also use a weight distribution hitch.

bp24kel

We had our NT 22FBS weighed at the Nat'l Rally in VA. It was fully loaded and our tongue weight was 650 lbs. We also use a weight distribution hitch.
thanks for the information. I decided to bite the bullet and ordered a scale to measure tongue weight. That way I can be sure to get the correct WDH. Thanks to all who responded.

pegmikef

Heartland documentation says hitch weight is 380 pounds which is about 5% of GVWR of 6900 instead of the 10 to 15% I've read about. This sounds too light, is it correct? Will a weight distribution system help or hurt me and what are the specs that I should be looking for?

Fifteen percent was always about right for my NT26LRSS after the addition of two propane tanks, a couple of batteries, and "stuff" in front of the trailer and basement.

kf5qby

I bought a weight distribution hitch when I bought the NT 21fbs used for use behind my Grand Cherokee.

When I traded the Grand in on a 2500 Ram I tried the trailer without the WD hitch load bars. I could feel the trailer pressing down on the rear over bumps. I put on the load bars and everything smoothed out. Much better ride with WD even through I was only about half the hitch capacity of the truck. Add in the sway control and the trailer tracks perfectly behind the truck.

bp24kel

I'm curious, what was the gross weight of your trailer? I measured my hitch weight and it was 473 pounds. The unit was not quit fully loaded, needing clothes and food but otherwise ready. I'm thinking of getting a WDH rated for 750 pounds tongue weight. I have about 150 pounds in the truck bed back of the wheels.

jnv

The truck gross weight was 8,225 lbs., the trailer gross weight was 6,650 lbs. for a combined total of 14,225 lbs. Our WDH is rated for 10,000 lbs. tow, with tongue weight of 1,000 lbs. Our GCWR is 16,000 lbs. and the GVWR is 6,900 lbs. Hope this helps you out.

bp24kel

The truck gross weight was 8,225 lbs., the trailer gross weight was 6,650 lbs. for a combined total of 14,225 lbs. Our WDH is rated for 10,000 lbs. tow, with tongue weight of 1,000 lbs. Our GCWR is 16,000 lbs. and the GVWR is 6,900 lbs. Hope this helps you out.
. Yes it does help. I appreciate your looking this up for me.