Batteries not charging

mixie57

We installed 6 golf cart batteries a couple of years ago. They always maintained their charge with no issues. This leg of our trip, they have drained and will not charge. We ran the generator hoping that would help but they are empty. We have a 2013 Cyclone 4100. We have checked all the breakers & fuses indoors. Is there someplace else we should look? Coincidentally, our bathroom outlet (GFCI) has no power. Which means everything wired down stream from it doesn't work; TV, fireplace, living room slide outlet, and outlets on both sides of the bed. I have replaced the GFCI & when that didn't resolve the problem, I checked the wires and found there is no power. Wondering WTH?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you feel comfortable working on electrical and since you have no 120 to the coach, then I would recommend that you look at your transfer switch.
It is not uncommon for them to fail.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

It sounds like you're missing one leg of the incoming 50 amp power, both on shore power and on generator. As Cookie suggested, the transfer switch is a likely culprit.

It's also possible the problem could be at the main circuit breaker panel inside the coach.

The transfer switch is typically behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage. There's a label inside the top cover that shows how it's wired.

For safety, before opening the transfer switch, it's usually a good idea to disconnect shore power and put the cord away (so no one helpfully plugs it in while you're working).

Lynn1130

This may be obvious and forgive me if it seems like a stupid question, but is there water in the batteries?

esscobra

Also check converter is plugged in- a guy in landmark was fighting problems- he had some RV gurus helping and they replaced battery fuses everything- later we found that his converter was not fully plugged in -and once the plug was pushed in all the way- everything worked!

esscobra

It sounds like you're missing one leg of the incoming 50 amp power, both on shore power and on generator. As Cookie suggested, the transfer switch is a likely culprit.

It's also possible the problem could be at the main circuit breaker panel inside the coach.

The transfer switch is typically behind the rear wall of the pass through basement storage. There's a label inside the top cover that shows how it's wired.

For safety, before opening the transfer switch, it's usually a good idea to disconnect shore power and put the cord away (so no one helpfully plugs it in while you're working).

On mine the lugs on the main wires in transfer switch were not tight and 2 of the main hot lines had cuts and visible bare copper wire showing

Attachments

• IMG_7929.jpg
    IMG_7929.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 38

mixie57

I'm surprised no one said to make sure the battery cut off wasn't enabled, lol. We did discover the pedestal we were plugged in was part of the issue and if we plugged in the 30amp cord, it charged the batteries. However, the bathroom GCFI is still dead. Thanks for all the suggestions; we are going to try them. It wouldn't surprise me if the transfer switch came unplugged; we have been on some rough roads. The last move caused one of the pendant lights to fall out of its collar, break the electric wire & shatter on the countertop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Probably an assumption (you know how those go) that since you had used it on past trips and they charged that you knew about the cutoff. And even with that off the batteries would still charge if plugged in to shore power.

Oregon_Camper

Probably an assumption (you know how those go) that since you had used it on past trips and they charged that you knew about the cutoff. And even with that off the batteries would still charge if plugged in to shore power.

I don't think that is how my system is wired. With the cutoff switch in the "off" position, the only thing that maintains power are the emergency brakes and the battery will not be charged.

Now, the RV's 12v items will work while the cutoff is "off" and you are plugged into Shore power, as they share the 12v bus bar, that is powered from the converter.

danemayer

Could be and I am not sure so perhaps Dan can answer that one.
Power flowing from the Power Converter goes through the mini-circuit breaker on the buss bar and down the cable to the cutoff switch, and from there to the battery. If the switch is off, power won't get to the battery.