Brown Out

lukeysh

Got a weird one here. Have LM Arlington with on board generator and PCS system. Noticed every night around 4:00 am, the washing machine clicks on and the door contact clicks a couple of times. Talked to Splendide and they said the safety interlocks on the circuit board is detecting an electrical supply issue and thinks it needs to turn on to address.

Now low and behold, I've seen "Brown out" message on PCS monitor for past few mornings. Hadn't paid attention until now. It showed voltage dropped to 2 volts (probably really 0). I hit the scroll button on the PCS and the value updates and resets to normal. I've called the electric company to come out and check the meter. I also checked the transfer switch connections and everything is fine.

It only does this around 4:00 am every morning. Any thoughts on what might be causing dropping voltage on L2 same time every morning. I'm more concerned about things on board that could be doing this.

danemayer

Hi lukeysh,

The washer/dryer circuit is managed by the PCS system, but I think it's mid-priority. Normally if exceeding available power, 2 air conditioners and the water heater would have power shed before it gets to the washer/dryer. But if a relay on the PCS system was malfunctioning, it could have momentary power drops on that circuit.

You might try flipping the circuit breaker off/on quickly to see if you get a reaction from the washer similar to your 4 AM event.

But even so, it seems hard to connect a problem like that to a recurring 4 AM event. It sounds more like a power company issue. I don't think there's anything in the coach that would likely cause a recurring issue at the same time of day.

Other possible trouble spots would include the power pedestal, the Electrical Management System (Surge Protector), the main transfer switch, and the connections at the circuit breaker panel. But again, none of those would explain a recurring event at the same time of day.

lukeysh

Hi lukeysh,

The washer/dryer circuit is managed by the PCS system, but I think it's mid-priority. Normally if exceeding available power, 2 air conditioners and the water heater would have power shed before it gets to the washer/dryer. But if a relay on the PCS system was malfunctioning, it could have momentary power drops on that circuit.

You might try flipping the circuit breaker off/on quickly to see if you get a reaction from the washer similar to your 4 AM event.

But even so, it seems hard to connect a problem like that to a recurring 4 AM event. It sounds more like a power company issue. I don't think there's anything in the coach that would likely cause a recurring issue at the same time of day.

Other possible trouble spots would include the power pedestal, the Electrical Management System (Surge Protector), the main transfer switch, and the connections at the circuit breaker panel. But again, none of those would explain a recurring event at the same time of day.

Thanks. Hate to ask a stupid question, but could you tell me how to get the cover off the breaker panel. I don't see any tabs to snap out and don't want to break it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

I have a different style panel that has a screw in each corner of the cover plate. Not certain about yours.

Mattman

Where are you staying at? You could check your shore power at 4am to see if it's you or the utility.
If there is a large factory or facility near by that by chance could be doing a start up at 4am and taxing the utility. I have heard stories from utility testing guys that have seen it. But it's pretty rare. The fact that it's same time is interesting.
If it only does it Monday - Friday there is a chance.
Can you try a different pedistal ?

CDN

B and B
Could be the local utility adjusts taps at this time of the day anticipating loads etc. One way for sure is to see if the voltage is up between retiring at night and at 4 am or when you wake up.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
You can plug an electric clock in at the pedestal, without backup battery, and get a power failure indication (flashing time that starts when power is restored). That is the method we used growing up, to know how long the fridge was without power (that way we knew if there was stuff that needed to be thrown out to keep the science experiments at bay).