License Plate broke off

Audlee

Hey Folks,

We bought our Torque 365 in December of 2016 and have taken her out a few times. Needless to say, we are in love. Just came home from beach camping and realized we do not have our license plate to the trailer. It had ripped off the plastic mount all together. I believe we lost it in the desert a few weeks back. It was a very bounce ride. Anywho... without compromising the ramp door with screws, how do y'all mount your license plate? Since I am a new user to this forum, I can't post a picture. Thanks for your help!

Audrey Lee

danemayer

Hi Audlee,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Hopefully another Torque owner will have some advice for you shortly.

weekender01

We have a Torque 321 and had ours rip off leaving gas station with a big dip in the pavement at the exit. Luckily I was aware of this so I found it before we lost it. We had our dealer use some self tapping bolts and attached the plate directly under the door hinges. It still hangs down a bit, but has not come off since.

Audlee

We are still under warranty. We do have a good amount of fixes needed to be done to the brand new trailer (quite common, I hear). I may just add this to the list. Thanks!
Are you still under warranty? Take it back to the dealer and see what they can do.

MurrayN.

We have a Torque 321 and had ours rip off leaving gas station with a big dip in the pavement at the exit. Luckily I was aware of this so I found it before we lost it. We had our dealer use some self tapping bolts and attached the plate directly under the door hinges. It still hangs down a bit, but has not come off since.

Above quote X2!

We lost our license plate our very first time out with our brand new 321. The little plastic tabs that were part of the rear signal light take virtually nothing to break off. Very poor design by Heartland and whoever sourced these parts. So on my second time out with my new trailer, after driving 8 hours and stopping a couple of times and not noticing anything, all of a sudden when I'm in the next province here that I have no plate on the back of my trailer. We had to be in British Columbia the next day so I just crossed my fingers and kept going to my destination. I still had insurance , just no plate. So when I got to my rv resort, I got some good size self taping screws and permanently mounted a replacement plate that my daughter brought from home onto the main bumper.

cellman

Mine did the same thing. I took the taillight cover off, removed the 2 lower screws holding the taillight on, slide the license plate behind the taillight and put the screws back in. Works fine.

I pulled the lower screws out of the tail light mount. Unfortunately they were odd-sized Torx screws (size 20 too big but size 15 too small) so had to improvise. Holes exact spacing for license plate. Plate now 3" higher with a minor coverup of state name but still legible. Thanks for the advice.

Cabindoc

I bought a license plate bracket and screwed to door. Replaced lights as well.
9c01f5cb800f96968a788e2f7740e5bf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarterKraft

I pulled the lower screws out of the tail light mount. Unfortunately they were odd-sized Torx screws (size 20 too big but size 15 too small) so had to improvise. Holes exact spacing for license plate. Plate now 3" higher with a minor coverup of state name but still legible. Thanks for the advice.

I got this t-shirt.
This is what I did as well. Not legal in my state to cover any part but what the hey.

Plastic mount is garbage, no excuse to use that vs. steel in my mind.

So, brand new 2017 345 torque 5th wheel. Going on 3rd license plate and 2nd light replacement. Dealer keeps replacing the light fixtures. I hoping I can get some restitution from Heartland for the now $100 I've shelled out for new plates from the DMV.

This is where customer service can shine. Let's see what happens.....

Cabindoc

Stop wasting time and expense. Move plate to door and have them replace lights with long skinny ones. And where are you going that you bottomed out 3 times?

Stop wasting time and expense. Move plate to door and have them replace lights with long skinny ones. And where are you going that you bottomed out 3 times?

I've actually never bottomed out. The only thing I can think of is the air rushing under coach at 70 mph stresses out the plastic tabs and breaks them.

I like those lights what are they? They are factory? What is behind the plate on the door?

Cabindoc

Lights are not factory. Took factory squareish lights off as they hung below bottom. I got these from etrailer.com. Just measure your space and order accordingly. The plate is a plastic holder meant for trailer doors. Etrailer or your local trailer repair shop
Good luck

cnuss

Audrey Lee
I Purchase a hot rod style "flip down" license plate bracket to hold plate. Mounted the plate on the flip bracket assembly and raised bracket up 3-4 inches higher with a modified 1" metal spacer. Re routed existing electrical wiring for a small LED light. Now the plate flips down easy when the rear door drops down, then returns to upright position. I have total clearance now with a clean appeal.
Hopes this helps...I can post a picture.