The insane roads we travel.

carl.swoyer

While traveling from my house in Spring Hill Florida to NH I saw so many accidents​. Normally it's a 4 hour drive to the Georgia boarder. Not this trip 6 and 1/2 hours. I got off i75 to rt 301 , more accidents. At one point I thought about getting on RT 27 to get back on I 75 .... More accidents!. The long and short I saw two motorhomes burnt to a crisp. The only thing left was chassis and engine and transmission. These accidents were in different states. I saw a car under neath a tractor trailer, the bumper of the trailer was over the back seat of the car. A huge crane was on site trying to lift the trailer off the car.
I can't believe how fast and reckless people drive. Passing in break down lanes. Nascar style lane Changing. I saw another accident where a tractor trailer car carrier pulled to the side of the road but not completely off the highway causing a motorist to clip the trailer. The car was in two pieces bodies all over the road.
Enough
I now Travel slower than the traffic flow. We need to give more response time to react.
So now I travel the roads that are away from the congested areas.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We drove from Cisco TX to Terrell Tx, along I-20 through the DFW metroplex. (There's really no other way.)

We saw a rear end collision that had just occurred, due to construction narrowing the lanes... looked like traffic was slow or stopped and a Dually plowed into another pickup at full speed. Cabs were intact, but what carnage!

Also saw a car slam on brakes, squeeling tires, loose control, slam into the center concrete barrier and almost bounce back into traffic (I-20, in the suburbs, probably going 70+mph)

NASCAR lane changers as well, lets go from far left lane across 3 lanes to exit, in front of a 23k lb rig!

Also saw a pedestrian run across 4 lanes to the center median! (semi in front of me locked up his brakes and smoked em!)

Crazy crazy, grew up in Dallas and don't miss that metroplex traffic AT ALL! (Been away living the small town/rural life almost 2 years).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Over the years of hauling an RV (never had a MH...yet) I have seen my share of accidents also. I remember when I was 9 or 10 and travelling with my dad and his brother to fetch his brothers kids at a camp in southern MO. Southern MO is pretty hilly and a car passed us on a two lane highway heading up a hill. Even at 10 I knew stupid, and that was stupid! Needless to say, and sadly for those involved, a few more miles up the road and there was the car and another that they hit head on. Its not a question of "what were they thinking" but more like "why weren't they thinking"!

I used to be in a hurry while driving just like most people now days, but I've slowed way down over the years, and especially now that I'm retired. There just isn't anyplace that I need to get to THAT fast anymore. I like to see the country and like Carl I prefer the side roads. I do extensive planning which is so easy and convenient today with the internet and all the really good mapping applications. Knowing ahead of time, with some degree of certainty, what the road holds enables one to really enjoy staying away from the maddening crowds.

All that being said, you still must always drive defensively because there will always be those who just don't think.

LBR

Ditto the responses here...

The DW and I are from a small community and are always intimidated with these styles of aggressive driving. I try to run with the 18 wheelers and let the Nascar drivers do their own thing. It helps me stresswise to become "Mr. Passive" when towing and it is all in my mindset....No road rage allowed.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
There are studies all over the world that slower drivers cause more accidents than the "NASCAR" style drivers you outed in this post. Many studies show that slower drivers create the "NASCAR" drivers. From one that I read it says,

The report notes: ’In reaction to these slow drivers, almost half (45%) of motorists risk overtaking, thus increasing the chances of an accident.

Many agencies can and will issue citations for driving to slow and impeding traffic as it is creating an unsafe environment for all of the drivers around them.

Granted there are those that in a hurry no matter what and I am guessing just like some folks in big huge rv's, they shouldn't be driving period.

mlpeloquin

When towing and driving the speed limit, NASCAR drivers still need to pass, with no body behind me, to cut me off and get off within 50ft. It is not the big rigs or the RV's that is causing the problem. It is the people STUCK ON STUPID!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
True, driving 40 in a 60 will cause accidents. But going 65 in a 70 and watching Mr. NASCAR blow past in the far left lane, then to the exit across 3 lanes of traffic cutting off big rigs in the process... that's what I'm talking about.

Also watched a guy in a Lincoln SUV in the highway entrance lane, pass three slowing cars on the highway till his lane ran out, cut inches in front of a driver, immediately change over two lanes and continue... never saw him hit the brakes, but caused 3-4 other cars to do so unexpectedly.

Where do they learn to drive like that??

Lynn1130

We have an "aggressive driving" law and Highway Patrol enforcement that drive vehicles that you would never suspect as being HP vehicles. They are looking for the "NASCAR" drivers.

wdk450

I am constantly amazed by the NASCAR types who HAVE to exceed the speed limit, pass on 2 lane roads in no passing zones, and the we end up at the next stoplight side-by-side. What did they save (30 seconds?) to be putting themselves and the general public at such risk???

Aandaar

Gee, this sounds like a normal afternoon commute in San Diego. I have always thought the speed limit here in California is 80mph

brianlajoie

We drive about 60ish on the highways only if I can see forever and there is little traffic. Otherwise I drive slower than the pack. Even if the cut me off, they are doing 70+ and I'm doing 55 and they are gone in an instant. For those that insist on being stupid while driving, I have installed a set of Hadley air horns. Nobody can say they didn't hear me.

Today we passed a fresh accident that involved an over turned cement truck and 2 other vehicles. Not 20 yards away, a pickup rear ended a state trooper's car. No one hurt (news confirmed no one seriously hurt), but what a mess. The cement truck lost his drum too.

carl.swoyer

Just because the speed limit my be 70 mph doesn't mandate that everyone has to go 70 mph. I can travel in the travel lane and go 65 mph . If that doesn't work for other drivers than they can pass in the passing lane. All driver have the right to travel at different speeds. Just because I'm giving myself a safety window to react to the crazy people who tailgate and do Nascar style lane Changing does not by any stretch of imagination mean I caused the accident. Further more it's the aggressive driver that causes the accidents.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dlw930

In Texas, that means they go 75 and up!

I'm convinced Texans are obsessed with driving at least 10 mph over the speed limit, whatever it is! Bring on the Houston-Dallas bullet train!

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I'm convinced Texans are obsessed with driving at least 10 mph over the speed limit, whatever it is! Bring on the Houston-Dallas bullet train!

That obsession isn't limited to Texas unfortunately. They do that up here in "The Mitten" too.

dlw930

That obsession isn't limited to Texas unfortunately. They do that up here in "The Mitten" too.

Oh, I know that. We were on 75 headed south from St Ignace the Sunday after July 4th last summer. There was a Bighorn with an exploded Goodyear Marathon parked on the shoulder. I stopped to assist and thought I was going to get blown off the shoulder!

Oregon_Camper

Just because the speed limit my be 70 mph doesn't mandate the everyone has go 70 mph. I can travel in the travel lane go 65 mph . If that doesn't work for other drivers than they can pass in the passing lane. All driver have the right to travel at different speeds.

FWIW....my neighbor is a Oregon State Patrol....if you're doing 10mph under the posted limit, he will/has/can pull the driver over. At speeds 10mph below the posted speed, you are considered a hazard, as everyone will be jumping over to pass....which makes them increase their speeds and the snowball starts.

dykesj11

FWIW....my neighbor is a Oregon State Patrol....if you're doing 10mph under the posted limit, he will/has/can pull the driver over. At speeds 10mph below the posted speed, you are considered a hazard, as everyone will be jumping over to pass....which makes them increase their speeds and the snowball starts.

I'd guess in most states, when towing a big fifth wheel, you'd be unlikely to get ticketed for going 10mph under the limit. In CA and several others, you are restricted to 55 tho the limit is often 70 on the interstate. In TX, the speed limit is 70 on many highways with traffic entering and exiting at right angles. Kinda crazy. I'm with LBR - take a cue from the truck drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro