TPMS Questions

Oregon_Camper

Ok...I know I should have a TPMS on my Bighorn and I don't right now. Looking to resolve that. :)

I've seen good review on TST brand and have a few questions.

1 - Are you guys putting the sensors on your Trucks as well as the RV? I know the truck as a factory sensor, but it just reports "low pressure"...not telling me which one.

2 - Anyone use the Flow Thru Sensors? Worth the extra $$$ (I know this varies based on the size of your wallet...but you get the point :) )

3 - Anyone use a "repeater"? How successful are you at keeping all tires "online" without the repeater?

Feel free to post recommendations for other brands if you like....I'm open to all suggestions.

mlpeloquin

I have the TST non flow through system. If I did it again, I would use the flow through. It has been a reliable tire monitor. Since I have a dully, I do not have tire monitoring on my truck. GM only puts them on non dully trucks.

IronJ

Have the tst on mine...non flow through...

12 sensors total (rig and tv)

I had to run the repeater in my genny compartment as with the length i could not get good communication with the rig sensors..

As setup now i have exactly 0 issues...once it connects its reliable and accurate till i power it down...have about 8k miles on sensors now...

I cant comment on flow through but they seem nice...im fine with non flow ones i have now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Nbomar

I have tst flow through and if I had to do it again I would get non flow through. Even speaking with the tst Rep last week he told me the same thing. The sensor slows the air down so much going through it's more of a pain to leave them on. Now I just screw my flow through sensors off to inflate or deflate... seem kinda pointless.

I bought the repeater for my unit as recommended since I have 12 sensors between truck and 43' 5'er. I have never installed it and all sensors connect and work just as they should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianlajoie

I have tire minder, but I'm switching to the Dill system for my new truck tires. I like the tire minder system, but have problem with my OEM tpms and high pressure tires on the truck.

Oregon_Camper

I have tst flow through and if I had to do it again I would get non flow through. Even speaking with the tst Rep last week he told me the same thing. The sensor slows the air down so much going through it's more of a pain to leave them on. Now I just screw my flow through sensors off to inflate or deflate... seem kinda pointless.

I bought the repeater for my unit as recommended since I have 12 sensors between truck and 43' 5'er. I have never installed it and all sensors connect and work just as they should.

Which TST kit do you have? I see they have one for RV's (507rv) and another for trucks (507SCE).

That is a LOT of sensors...did you find a great place to buy them with any good discount?

Nbomar

I have the tst507 I just bought a kit off amazon a few years ago and then bought more sensors direct from tst. I didn't find any great deals.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
TST non-flow through here. On Dually as well as coach. Have repeater in front basement compartment.

Still have had a couple rare drops of one sensor, but I think it's interference from all the other equipment -- backup cam, GPS, 2 phones, xm radio...

As the passenger, I watch the tire pressures as we travel. Every so often I'll pick up the receiver unit and hold it closer to the window and watch it cycle through all the tires a few times.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Oh and TST truly stands behind their product. We've had a sensor go bad, and with just a call to the company, a new sensor is on its way and ship the old one back prepaid. We've been using them since 2011.

Oregon_Camper

Oh and TST truly stands behind their product. We've had a sensor go bad, and with just a call to the company, a new sensor is on its way and ship the old one back prepaid. We've been using them since 2011.

...thanks for that information. I love hearing stories about great customer service...makes me feel a bit better spending the money, knowing they stand behind the product.

Az_Ernie

We've had the TST TPMS installed on our trailer and truck for over 10K miles and have experienced zero problems. We do not have the wire or the repeater installed with our system. We were cautioned about installing sensors on our truck, as the OEM valve stems were rubber as opposed to steel. We have kept a close eye on the truck stems and (fingers crossed) have not noticed any negative effects so far.

Nbomar

We've had the TST TPMS installed on our trailer and truck for over 10K miles and have experienced zero problems. We do not have the wire or the repeater installed with our system. We were cautioned about installing sensors on our truck, as the OEM valve stems were rubber as opposed to steel. We have kept a close eye on the truck stems and (fingers crossed) have not noticed any negative effects so far.

Watch this. On my rear dials the valve stem sticks straight up. The centrifugal force and the weight of the sensor caused my rubber stems to tear leaving one of my duals flat while hauling the camper. I use metal stems in the rear now.

Az_Ernie

Watch this. On my rear dials the valve stem sticks straight up. The centrifugal force and the weight of the sensor caused my rubber stems to tear leaving one of my duals flat while hauling the camper. I use metal stems in the rear now.

We hear you Nbomar. That's why we're keeping a close eye. Others on the forum have used the sensors on rubber stems without problems and we talked with TST support folks and they assured us that we would be fine using their sensors on OEM rubber stems. However, we are still a bit nervous. Thanks for your input.

Nbomar

We hear you Nbomar. That's why we're keeping a close eye. Others on the forum have used the sensors on rubber stems without problems and we talked with TST support folks and they assured us that we would be fine using their sensors on OEM rubber stems. However, we are still a bit nervous. Thanks for your input.

Mine lasted for about a year or so... not sure what changed the day it gave out.

Az_Ernie

Ok...I know I should have a TPMS on my Bighorn and I don't right now. Looking to resolve that. :)

1 - Are you guys putting the sensors on your Trucks as well as the RV? I know the truck as a factory sensor, but it just reports "low pressure"...not telling me which one.

2 - Anyone use the Flow Thru Sensors? Worth the extra $$$ (I know this varies based on the size of your wallet...but you get the point :) )

3 - Anyone use a "repeater"? How successful are you at keeping all tires "online" without the repeater?

Feel free to post recommendations for other brands if you like....I'm open to all suggestions.
...forgot to add that we are using the non-flow thru sensors. We adjust our tire pressures on the truck everytime we hitch and unhitch. We also check our trailer tires before every tow. That's a lot of pressure checking and I don't feel removing the sensors is much more trouble than removing OEM valve caps. Also I think the non-flow thru sensors are smaller and lighter than the flow thru type, and that is a concern using the OEM rubber stems.

Last edited:

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
I have used a TST 507 for 5 years now and have used the non flow through sensors for the first couple years on both the truck (DRW) and the trailer. I have now switched over to the internal sensors on my truck when I replaced the tires at the end of last year and can tell you that the internal sensors make a huge difference on making the temperature part of the sensors MUCH more accurate. We are replacing our tires on the trailer at the end of the camping season this year and will change out the external sensors on that to the internal ones as well. We have had nothing but positive experience with TST and they have sent us a new sensor and a repeater all at no cost to us during our 5 years of owning and using it. Also since getting the repeater, we have not lost signal once. Prior to having the repeater, we used it for about 3 1/2 years and would occasionally lose signal on one of the back sensors on the trailer, but it did not happen much. The biggest reason we went to the repeater is because there were sometimes minutes of delay before our system would update the readings in the sensors and we did not want to have that lag in updated information.

The TST has saved us 3 times in 5 years that most likely would have resulted in a blow out. 2 times we had a screw that we found in the tire and the system alerted us with plenty of time to pull over and figure out what was going on instead of waiting for the tire to continue to get low and eventually heat up to the point of failure. Then about 3 years after owning it, one of our sensors started leaking and again the TMPS saved the day and alerted us before the tire became catastrophically low and failed. On top of that, TST sent us a new sensor and a seal rebuild kit for our other 9 sensors, all for free. Their customer service is second to none!

I hope this helps.

Rod

DirtyMax88

We have the 507 flow thru on our LM only. It's has worked very very well, with the exception of losing signal from time to time. I believe I am going to get the repeater. Our LM is 42'9" which is well beyond the recommended length or limit from TST info. We have friends that have a 44' cyclone that never have an issue though, and doesn't have the repeater. I'm going to contact TST to see what they recommend. Seems simple enough to power down, then power up, boom, done and it's reading all of them again. Thumbs up from us as well on the customer service. One previous post said it takes a while to air up tires...i haven't had that issue, but i am also only putting a lb or two in to keep pressures the same.

You cant go wrong with either!

Oregon_Camper

Ok...bought a TST system today from TechnoRV for $489...which was a pretty good deal....

When out to inspect the valve stems on my F-350. Ugh.......how the heck did you folks install these things on a dually? That valve stem is WAY back in there and I can't see a way to install them other than taking off the outside tire.

Capture.jpg

jnbhobe

Pull the extensions off and they will fit I think I used flow thru's on the inside, I will look tomorrow.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I use flow through on the inner wheels. I did have to take the outer wheel off to install it and when I put the outer wheel back on I located the valve stem 180° from the inner.

Peace
Dave