Dewinterizing Solution

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Getting ready to dewinterize and flush the RV antifreeze out of the lines. I heard some say to run a water/Bleach solution through the lines to get rid of any taste of the anti-freeze. Any truth to this?

ziggysun

We're fairly new to RVing, but both times my husband dewinterized he did the bleach/water solution into the fresh tank since the manual said to do it to flush the antifreeze from the system. I think the manual calls for 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons of fresh water holding capacity. I'm pretty sure we used a little over a cup of bleach into the fresh water tank after it was 3/4 full and then filled it all the way and let it sit for 4 - 6 hours, then ran all the faucets, flushed toilet, etc via the pump and then emptied all the tanks.

That being said, we use bottled water for drinking when camping so I have no idea if it made any difference when it comes to taste?

JWalker

All we've ever done on our boats or the BH run copious amounts of water through all the lines.

That's all we have ever done in the past. Just run large amount of water through the lines. We do not use the water for drinking or cooking. Just cleaning, showers etc. But last year we noticed a anti-freeze smell for a few weeks. Just thought about pulling a diluted bleach/water solution through the lines to maybe eliminate that this year.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
That's all we have ever done in the past. Just run large amount of water through the lines. We do not use the water for drinking or cooking. Just cleaning, showers etc. But last year we noticed a anti-freeze smell for a few weeks. Just thought about pulling a diluted bleach/water solution through the lines to maybe eliminate that this year.

We realized the Antifreeze smell after dewinterizing was the washing machine line. We didn't run fresh water through that, the antifreeze was backflowing and mix with water in the lines that were T connected, in our case the bath sink. I could smell antifeeeze every time I ran the sink for a while after dewinterizing. Once we flushed the washer lines, it went away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

We realized the Antifreeze smell after dewinterizing was the washing machine line. We didn't run fresh water through that, the antifreeze was backflowing and mix with water in the lines that were T connected, in our case the bath sink. I could smell antifeeeze every time I ran the sink for a while after dewinterizing. Once we flushed the washer lines, it went away.

Ah..... never thought about the antifreeze trapped in the washer lines. Maybe that's it.

chaplady

We had same issue first time cleared lines turned on water later in bath room it was pink. Had to go flush water lines. Oops forgot them first time.

- - - Updated - - -

Washer hook ups

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Forgot to mention that having an older rig with low point drains, opening the faucets and then the drains clears the bulk of the AF. Air pressure followed with pumping in some water gets most of the rest until I can hook to city water.

olcoon

When de-winterizing, in the spring, I'll always put bleach in the FW lines, FW tank & HW heater & let it set usually overnight. Then drain everything & fill & flush about 2 times to get rid of the bleach smell. Do I need to go to all that trouble, possibly not, but at least I feel better about it. We seldom camp where we use the FW tank, but there have been times that I've filled/or at least put some water in there at a campground because of their issues or possible issues. It's saved my bacon a few times. BTW I always get the bearings packed once a year also. Do I need to, no, but at least that's one less thing I have to worry about. Guess the Boy Scouts instilled too much into me!

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Kenny just done our and he put bleach in ours over night too . drain it and wash it out . he also ran some bleach water into the kitchen sink to clean that tank . Ours has not been used for a year so we are excited to go this year. Happy Camping All !

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Another place that some forget when dewinterizing is the outside shower.

If you don't get the AF out of those lines you'll have cloudy water for awhile.

I generally just flush the AF out of the lines with water, and then fill the fresh water tank with water and bleach to sterilize the tank, then using the water pump (hot water heater still bypassed) I run the bleach water through to all of the faucets, toilet and the outside shower and leave it sit for a few hours our over night, then flush everything a couple of times.

NYSUPstater

Current coach: pour a little bleach into hose that attaches to house and rest directly into fresh tank/fill slot. 1 cup bleach/60 gallons of water. Fill tank up. Run water pump and water thru all lines until I smell bleach (hot and cold sides). Never use to do anything w/ hot water tank, but on a couple 1st outings or so, would get a horrific sulfer egg smell in hot water. So now, I fill hot water heater w/ "bleached" water and let sit 24 hours. No washer/drier or outside shower. Drain next day and repeat process only w/ just PLAIN water. Run plain water thru everything again till NO bleach smell. Oh, opened low point valves as well to make sure they were done too. After letting the plain water sit another 24 hours, drain everything and set for the summer. We, like others, drink bottled water, but I have drank water from kitchen sink and it was okay (coach has a whole coach water filter built in). Give the dog water from kitchen sink (city water) and he's still alive. Think overall, people have this persona about drinking water from a RV water outlet.

With washer/drier set ups (which our new BC will have along w/ outside shower), is there a way to add shut off valves to them in order to bypass them?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
With washer/drier set ups (which our new BC will have along w/ outside shower), is there a way to add shut off valves to them in order to bypass them?

I've been wanting to put shut off valves on the outside shower lines (we really never use it) so that I don't have to mess around with it during the winterization process, but not sure where to put them for easy access.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Current coach: pour a little bleach into hose that attaches to house and rest directly into fresh tank/fill slot. 1 cup bleach/60 gallons of water. Fill tank up. Run water pump and water thru all lines until I smell bleach (hot and cold sides). Never use to do anything w/ hot water tank, but on a couple 1st outings or so, would get a horrific sulfer egg smell in hot water. So now, I fill hot water heater w/ "bleached" water and let sit 24 hours. No washer/drier or outside shower. Drain next day and repeat process only w/ just PLAIN water. Run plain water thru everything again till NO bleach smell. Oh, opened low point valves as well to make sure they were done too. After letting the plain water sit another 24 hours, drain everything and set for the summer. We, like others, drink bottled water, but I have drank water from kitchen sink and it was okay (coach has a whole coach water filter built in). Give the dog water from kitchen sink (city water) and he's still alive. Think overall, people have this persona about drinking water from a RV water outlet.

The cats get the city water, we cook with it, make coffee with it, and the ice cubes in my booze are made from it. Even refill water bottles with it. The campground provides good water from a private well and I have a sediment filter and carbon filter set up. Been doing it since 2009 without a problem.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Yes, but you have to get the cut-offs as close to the T-off from the bathroom lines as possible. --- at least that was my thought. --- If you Add cutoffs well past the T, then water sits in there past the T and before the cutoff. Not sure how you would winterize it without winterizing the entire line?

Maybe someone with more plumbing know how can chime in.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but you have to get the cut-offs as close to the T-off from the bathroom lines as possible. --- at least that was my thought. --- If you Add cutoffs well past the T, then water sits in there past the T and before the cutoff. Not sure how you would winterize it without winterizing the entire line?

Maybe someone with more plumbing know how can chime in.

To take it one more step, I would remove the T that feeds the washer and replace it with a 90° fitting that would take the washer out of the system.
No more winterizing problem.

Peace
Dave