ATF: Mallard - Pre wire for AC

Bigbovine

I have a 2017 Heartland Mallard M302 that I purchased in January. It is a 50 Amp unit. Website says they are 30Amp (things may not have been updated?).
Is my unit pre wired for a second AC unit?

klp605

Check where the roof vent is. That is the location of the M32 prewire. On the M32 there is a sticker on the vent with a pre-wire clause.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bigbovine

So after making some inquiries to this at Heartland itself and from what I have read on the forums, I went and pulled the vent in the bedroom to check and found nothing. This led me to thinking some more and went to the vent in the kitchen. Guess what I found? Yep, a pigtail for an A/C unit. I am both happy and a little disgruntled. I have pre wire, but why would I want two A/C units in the same room when I need the second one in the bedroom. If I did install at that location, how would I get the cool air to the opposite end of the trailer. Would something like a fan in the bedroom vent fix that? How easy would it be to fish 12 volt wiring to the bedroom to do this? Could I piggy off the vent in the bathroom?

Bigbovine

On a side note I was thinking about the fantastic vent fan. Which by the way I would rather have in the kitchen to vent when cooking. In fact at this point I am ready to fish New wire, 12v to the kitchen and 120 to the bedroom. On looking in some of the A/C vents, I noticed in the bathroom , they punched a hole in the styrofoam to feed s light in the bathroom and didn't seal the hole they made. That means I'm loosing cold air into the ceiling itself. Now that is poor workmanship if you ask me. Now I'm going to have to inspect all my ductwork to ensure I have no other holes!

Last edited:

Bigbovine

A/C and Vent fan suggestions

So this is a more general question to my unit. I have 1 vent and 1 A/C in the main section, vent with fan in the bathroom, and a vent in bedroom. The "kitchen" vent holds the pre wire for A/C which would put a second A/C in the main room. I would prefer a second A/C in the bedroom and a vent fan in the main room ( in the kitchen). I realize that I would have to fish wiring which I am capable of doing. Either way, I either need 12v or 120v to bedroom. Would two A/C in the main living area and a good vent fan that circulates internal air cool the bedroom or am I better off just rewriting for both?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: A/C and Vent fan suggestions

On a 2017 Mallard if you have 50 amp service there is a good chance your bedroom is already wired for a second AC.
Look at the breaker panel for a breaker marked as 2nd AC or bedroom AC.

Peace
Dave

Bigbovine

Re: A/C and Vent fan suggestions

It's pre wired at kitchen not bedroom. Helps for fishing 110 to bedroom though if I wish.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bigbovine, I've combined your threads dealing with your wiring questions.

Peace
Dave