2013 Bighorn to 2015 F250 Wiring help

gslabbert5119

Can someone provide me with a wiring diagram for the trailer to truck wiring for a 7 pin adapter.

I am having trailer battery charging issues when my truck is connected to the trailer.
The rig charges the batteries just fine on shore power

I have checked the voltage at the truck end with the truck running and I am getting 14.3v to the 7 pin plug on the truck while it is running.

I opened the electrical panel on the trailer and found that the YELLOW wire was taped up on the trailer side, is this correct?

Vehicle: 2015 Ford F250
5er: 2013 Heartland Bighorn 3685RL

This is what the wiring looks like currently

Plug ---> Rig
Brown -> Red & Red -Black
Blue -> Blue
White -> White
Black ->Red & Orange Black
Red -> Red
Green -> Green
Yellow unused

Can someone verify

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yellow is unused. If you need an extra signal to your trailer you could use that.
Yellow would be the center pin.
Backup lights would be a good use of that wire.
images

Peace
Dave

gslabbert5119

Yellow is unused. If you need an extra signal to your trailer you could use that.
Yellow would be the center pin.
Backup lights would be a good use of that wire.
images

Peace
Dave
Thanks Dave, but I am confused,
in this diagram it shows Yellow to Yellow on pin 5
What color goes to the center pin (7)

Thanks for the help

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

The color of the wires seem to be different on most of the RV's I've worked on

When I do my 7-way junction box and cord I have made them all uniform.

If you have truck power going to your junction box the next place to check is the curuit breaker in the battery compartment. There should be one by itself that goes straight to the batteries.
49de1054b21d68fad3e7af7a41757b68.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

gslabbert5119

Jesstalkn,
You speak about a 50 amp circuit breaker in the battery compartment.
Is that the big red on off switch with a white dial, for that is the only switch - circuit breaker that I can find in the battery compartment

TIA

gslabbert5119

Thanks Jerrod

Further testing shows that if I turn OFF the red on off switch the battery then starts to charge and I am getting 13:10v, but if I turn it on I can see the battery power drop.
Hmm,

I will check that circuit breaker, is there a reset button on it?

Thanks

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

No that breaker is auto reset.
The first breaker in that row has the manual reset with a little black button on the side.
If that breaker is tripped it will seperate the coach from the batteries.
So coach 12v would only work of invertor power if it's tripped.
When you turned your master shut off switch of I think your voltage drop because of a draw from things on in the RV maybe. :/

MP_CS

Thanks Jerrod

Further testing shows that if I turn OFF the red on off switch the battery then starts to charge and I am getting 13:10v, but if I turn it on I can see the battery power drop.
Hmm,

I will check that circuit breaker, is there a reset button on it?

Thanks

So its working correctly when the switch is off? And when you turn the master switch on it stops working? Maybe the switch is just wired *** backwards

gslabbert5119

Never thought of that, but when i turn the master switch off it shuts everything off except the charging. Really pretty weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDN

B and B
I always travel with my Trailer 12 v power on. Sounds like there is a wiring error on the switch. In the past I have used the aux contact or one for backup as a additional 12 volt lead fro charge use. Doubling up increases wire surface area creating less resistance and more charge current.

danemayer

If you see 13V with the switch one way and 0V with it the other way, I'd suggest you trace the cable from the negative post of the battery to where it's grounded and make sure you have a clean, tight ground connection.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Never thought of that, but when i turn the master switch off it shuts everything off except the charging. Really pretty weird

If you have a test meter and a little bit of time you can call me and we can do some testing. My little brain gets confused when I try to read and keep up with all of these post on the forum.

My number
Jerrod
209 923 3207

gslabbert5119

I should have some time on Tuesday and would appreciate the assistance.
I will be in Sacramento
Thanks

gslabbert5119

Thanks Jess, however Wednesday is impossible for me I drove across country to do a safari presentation and that happens on Wednesday. I will then be leaving on Thursday to head back towards Florida. Maybe we can connect on Thursday, but do not put your plans on hold for me, you need your time as well :)

Gavin

Well if we were home you'd be going right by us.
However we are up in Jackson 7 more days
Maybe I can come to you on Wednesday