Do you recomend a slider hitch?

Duramax1

I presently have a travel trailer and am now considering the purchase of a Sundance 5th wheel.

Heartland promotes its "88 degree turning radius".

I have a standard bed duramax and wonder whether I should be considering a slider hitch. Will I ever be turning sharper than 88 degrees? Are there any advantages other than turning ability associated with a slider hitch?

red4re

I have a 2002 F250 crew cab short bed. I do not have a slider. I have pulled a Montana for 2 years and now have the Sundance. The Sundance is easier to turn with the newly designed front cap. I can back up now without being too concerned about kissing the cab of the truck. You just have to know your limits and be careful - always watch what is going on back there.

If money is no object, get the slider. Keep in mind that a full 90 degree turn is not good on the tires anyway.

red

maldds

I too just went from a travel trailer to the fifth wheel. I have a Sundance 2900MK and a Dodge 2500 short bed. I was told I didn't need a slider and went with the dealer recommendation. I'm glad I saved the money on the non-slider. I haven't gone as many miles as many others on this forum, but I have been in some tight spots already, and not needed the sliding capability. I figure if I need to turn any tighter than 88 degrees I'll be tearing up my tires and stressing the running gear on the fifth wheel more than I want. Pre-plan where you are and where you are going, watch your cab to fifth wheel clearance if you get in a tight spot, and you should be good to go with a non-slider.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have a slider on mine and have never used it and its coming off when ever I decide to make time to do it. Its not needed ( IMO) and just adds more slop to your hookup going down the road.....Kenny

Duramax1

My apologies, I should have done a search first as I see that this topic has been discussed many times.