ATF: Mallard - Tank Size

klp605

How do I know the actual size of my tanks. There is discrepancy between publications.
Fresh: 52 g or 36 g
Grey: 42 g or 37 g
Black: 42 g or 37 g

klp605

Correct. Their website now shows that for a tank size (they are now more in line with competitors with similar models). All previous showed the smaller sizes. Throughout this process I have found discrepancies between printed vs. website vs. Heartland rep vs. what is on the units. From power to axle size to 2nd a/c etc. Power and axles are easy to determine by looking at them.

I guess one could use their water meter to fill the tank and see how many gallons it will take before backing up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

G54FL

Correct. Their website now shows that for a tank size (they are now more in line with competitors with similar models). All previous showed the smaller sizes. Throughout this process I have found discrepancies between printed vs. website vs. Heartland rep vs. what is on the units. From power to axle size to 2nd a/c etc. Power and axles are easy to determine by looking at them.

I guess one could use their water meter to fill the tank and see how many gallons it will take before backing up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm with you on discrepancies on specs, and information provided. It's mind boggling that getting to real answers is such a chore, between specs, dealer info, calling Heartland reps, etc. Changes to spec during production year? Ok, I get it - especially when it's in the buyer's favor (i.e. 50amp/15K AC standard). But getting those exact answers from someone who knows what they are talking about is another story. Change control should be pretty easy - it's very simply communication and consistency.

klp605

Well, we are now getting a 2018 straight from the factory due to water damage in the 2017 unit we were planning on purchasing. Here's to better luck there are the larger tanks in it! This has been a wild ride. The new one was slated for delivery 4/13 so it should arrive any day and I will start the PDI process over. I will put together a post later with key steps I took that not only revealed the water damage but made it easy for them to give me a different unit without much trouble.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
To find the actual capacity of your tanks, Find the yellow tag that states the cargo carrying capacitys.
It should include some information stating calculated with the fresh water tanks full.
For example on my NT:
Tanks Full Cold: 299 Lbs
Hot 50 LBs

Mass of Waste water tanks when tanks are full 614 Lbs

Divide each by 8.3 to get capacity in gallons.

So mine would be:
Cold 299/8.3 = 36.2
Hot 50/8.3 = 6.02

Waste tanks 614/8.3 = 73.97
However, I have a grey tank and a black tank so I can divide by two to get the individual tank size: 73.97/2 = 36.98 so around 37 gallons each.

danemayer

Hi tedxas,

The first question is how much water is coming out of the hose that you use to fill the fresh tank. If 1 gallon/minute, it would take around 50 minutes to fill a 50 gallon fresh tank. And that's assuming the water doesn't back up in the gravity fill and spill out.

See how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon container using the same hose. Multiply by 10 and that'll tell you how long it'll take to fill the tank.

Sometimes the inexpensive water pressure regulators restrict flow as well as pressure. If you're not getting a lot of flow through the hose, try again without the pressure regulator. If you get improvement, you should look for a better pressure regulator.

tedxas

Dan, thank you! I hadn't remembered the fact that I had a pressure regulator in-place. (So much to learn, so little ability to recall it all!)

Best regards and safe travels,

Ted