Fresh Water Tank fills when connected to city water - ideas?

What would cause the fresh water tank to slowly fill when we are connected to city water Once we have drained the fresh water tank (as much as will drain) the panel still reads one-third full. We check it two-three days later and the tank is slowly filling again. Thanks for any and all help Much appreciated.

PUG

Pug
Venting on fresh water tank

I was having trouble with filling my fresh water also on my 3950. What is happening is your vent line has water in it and won't let it vent to fill up. There have been others that have done a bunch of rerouting to cure this. I personally just got a piece of hose 16inches, put one end over the vent screen that is close to your filler and then blow in it. This blows the water block out and it fills all the way up easy.

jpmorgan37

Snowbirds,

I don't know how the valves are set up on your Big Country, but on my Landmark, if I have the valves set to run the water pump for the fresh water tank but have city water connected, it will back fill my fresh tank in a couple of days. Hope this helps.

John

Bobbert

When I connect to city water with my new 21FBS does it automatically fill the hot water tank?? Thank you, Bob

jpmorgan37

If you have water heater bypass valves for winterizing, make sure that they are not in the bypass mode. Then when you connect your city water supply hose, be sure and open the hot water faucets to let the air out of the hot water heater before you turn the heater on. It will fill automatically. If you turn on the electric element to heat the water before the tank is filled, it will burn out the heating element in about 5 seconds.

John

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
hi-did you ever find an answer to why this is happening? My 3670rl does this also.
deanie, this is a pretty old thread but I can help you with your question. Every now and then a water pump will have a malfunction of the backflow preventing valve. This valve is built into the pump. Sometimes it is debris from the tank that gets lodges in the ports or it may be a bad valve/pump. When you are hooked up to city water, the fresh tank will slowly fill through the water pump in reverse. If your water pump works satisfactorily, you can stop it from filling the tank by closing the small brass valve in the line between the water tank and the pump. It is located about a foot away from the inlet side of the pump. It's the end with the little screen filter on it. When you do want to use the pump though, you will need to remember to go back in and open up the valve.