Important Recommendations for New Purchase

klp605

<<Moderator: Please move if there is a better spot as this isn't model specific>>

Very important recommendations for everyone purchasing a new unit that saved us from a leaking, water damaged unit.

1. Never sign final documents until AFTER all PDI corrections have been made
2. Request a print out of the Work Order’s from the service department. This is everything that has been done--Complaintt, Cause, and Correction.
3. Print the PDI checklist (from Oregon_Camper https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzxEvZw2XQ1MNDk2Smp4WHZIOWs/view) and be sure to cross all t’s and dot all I’s when doing your inspection
4. Additional items to have with you are a simple camper tool box (screw driver, tape measure, water meter) and painters tape to mark spots on walls/trim/furniture to label and make reference to on your notes (easier to say spot A, B, C etc then trying to describe locations)
5. Never stop asking questions and you can never be too thorough

Between everyone here on this site, Heartland reps, research, etc over the last 4+ months we have been saved from a huge disaster. I followed the above. The final item I learned was being able to get access to the Work Orders. I did this when I went to inspect all the corrections from our PDI and learned from the Work Orders there was a “water damage”. I would have never known, noticed, seen, etc until it was too late had it not been for the mention on the work order. Water damage in front compartment, unkown cause, and replace wood stile. In a 1 cm by ½ cm opening I found water. Upon further inspection, the subfloor under the linoleum is swelled. We will now be getting a 2018 for the same price. However, had I signed the paperwork, the switch would not have been done so easily. Had I never requested the Work Order history, I would have never have known there was ever a water issue (clearly still is). And who knows when we would have found the water issue after we had taken possession of the unit and who the blame would have been placed on.

We are counting our blessings. My husband is thankful for me being so anal, researched obsessed and for asking a million questions. I sure wish I would have known and asked for the Work Orders before I did my PDI. However, if our lessons can help one other person it was worth the time. Again, thank you to everyone here who has answered our questions……I’m sure there will be plenty more over time.

8amps

Congrats on avoiding a potential future headache. Never knew about work orders. Thanks for sharing!

Ace11

Here's a good one to add - Have the Dealer hook up Cable TV to the Rig to make sure All of the TV's work - Raise your hand if you got Burned by this one ( John Candy ! ! )

Mrsfish

I can't help but think about the person who this rig will be sold to and we all know it WILL be sold.

klp605

I can't help but think about the person who this rig will be sold to and we all know it WILL be sold.
I have also thought about that. An unsuspecting buyer. CW said they were returning the unit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mrsfish

I, for one, would love to have the VIN on that unit and see if that actually happens. If we, as consumers, don't keep companies honest, we will continue to be their victims.

klp605

I, for one, would love to have the VIN on that unit and see if that actually happens. If we, as consumers, don't keep companies honest, we will continue to be their victims.
How can we find out if they do end up selling the unit?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JNS

Here's a good one to add - Have the Dealer hook up Cable TV to the Rig to make sure All of the TV's work - Raise your hand if you got Burned by this one ( John Candy ! ! )

🙋*♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klp605

Does anyone know how to find out if they are selling the unit to some unsuspecting person? It is listed on CW website as available. If the unit was being returned to factory or the like, would they list it for sale?

We have been considering buying a new fifth wheel (HL Bighorn). Nothing wrong with ours just thinking we may want to go a bit shorter and like the BH. Our objective is a bit shorter and not give up quality.

Now that word QUALITY seems to be escaping the final product in the RV industry across the board. As most are aware the RV industry is booming and though this is a good thing it leads to a cancer I have seen before. I speak with GM's of dealers and they say "business is great problem is can't get units in quick enough". This gets to the manufacturer and now he then needs to increase production to meet demand.

Though I am not in the manufacturing plants I have been in a industry that was saturated with opportunities to stay ahead of the pack. I can only imagine those boardroom meetings and Monday morning huddles with all their facts, charts, revenue projections and where we are currently and where we need to be. It is never enough so they begin to see how do we increase productivity which will increase profits and this becomes the priority VS QUALITY and customer satisfaction. This of course is nothing new it just leads to cutting corners and quality to produce a product that is average at best. What happened to BEING AND BUILDING THE BEST product and you will have customers forever?

Now we have all these units rolling off the production line with the guys on the line (many fine techs and craftsman) knowing that QUALITY is suffering, but they are told produce and get them out the door or you are out the door. This message is at all levels of the corporate hierarchy, but we all know which direction poopoo flows. Move them out the door and let the dealer handle the problems. Then the dealer is backlogged with handling items that IF there were strict QUALITY standards and inspections prior to leaving the plant the dealer could focus on unavoidable issues and making customers happy.

Any way that is how I see the RV industry today PROFITS over QUALITY, what a shame because the end user is always the victim.

Well I will stop for now THEY are bringing my meds.

Livin The Dream!