What might have caused this and what is the fix?

Duramax1

The picture is the right rear back of my 2009 Sundance 2900MK and as you can see, the base of the back wall has vertically separated from the side wall for a distance of a foot or so.

Any ideas about:

1. What might have caused this separation
2. What is the likely fix for this problem
3. Who might I send this picture to at Heartland for their advice.

Thanks for your suggestions

Wayne

SAM_8017rotated.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Possibly water intrusion behind the cap, rotting the wood supports and allowing the fasteners to loosen. How regularly did you inspect and recaulk around the cap/roof seam?

danemayer

Hi Wayne,

To discuss with Heartland, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

But I would expect that until someone pulls the back of the trailer, the extent of the problem will be impossible to judge.

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
I have come across a similar issue and it was broken welds within the wall. See if you can pry the seam open and shine a strong light inside to see what is going on

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just for info, this is what the rear of a BC looks like before it's "skinned." This was taken during the plant tour of the 2011 Goshen Rally.

Attachments

• rear bulkhead.jpg
    rear bulkhead.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 109

Duramax1

Hi Wayne,

To discuss with Heartland, call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

But I would expect that until someone pulls the back of the trailer, the extent of the problem will be impossible to judge.

Thank you for that information, I shall followup on it.

- - - Updated - - -

I have come across a similar issue and it was broken welds within the wall. See if you can pry the seam open and shine a strong light inside to see what is going on

Can you provide me with more information? I did not know that there are metal framing supports within the back wall. How were the supports accessed ie was the back wall removed or were the welds accessed from underneath the trailer? Thanks for any additional information you can provide to me.

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
sorry about side ways picture, yes you can see some water damage from 'leaking roof corner?' not sure exactly where but look at the aluminum channel how it has bent, poor weld and what appears to be a tear in it. Cost was about $2000. to have is all repaired. Hope this helps
20151022_152213.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I believe they went through the underneath of the trailer, the view is from the bottom rear the fuzzy stuff is the carpet.