lack of flush mounted MPPT controllers

schew

Hi all,
As I'm in the purchasing phase of my little solar project I couldnt help notice the lack of choices when it comes to flush mounted mppt controllers. As of now, I'm leaning towards this model...
http://www.blueskyenergyinc.com/products/details/solar-boost-3000i

Can anyone recommend another controller that is a flush mounted? It's going to be inside my coach and want a finished look. Also, any owners of the Blue Sky want to chime in with their opinions or advice??

Thanks in advance.

schew

I guess that the controller and display are all in one unit. I think the solar controller needs to be as close to the batteries as possible. I used a remote display for inside the trailer.

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/tristar-remote-meter-2/

And this 60 amp controller.

http://www.morningstarcorp.com/products/tristar-mppt/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The issue is that my rig is prewired for solar and that the cables coming from the roof terminate inside one of the walls inside my coach. There's a sticker/decal on the wall and supposedly behind it is where I will find the cables from my roof as well the cables leading to the battery. I'm supposed to cut a hole in the wall and install the controller there.
So... I don't have an easy alternative placing my controller elsewhere.

Oregon_Camper

Why are you looking for a flush mount MPPT controller?

I have a Renogy MPPT controller in my front compartment (about 10" cable run to batteries), wired to the remote control panel inside the RV (next to all the switches)

Capture.jpg

schew

Why are you looking for a flush mount MPPT controller?

I have a Renogy MPPT controller in my front compartment (about 10" cable run to batteries), wired to the remote control panel inside the RV (next to all the switches)

View attachment 51096

Oregon,
reason being is that in order to use the prerun wires, its necessary to cut an access hole in a predetermined wall where I'll find the all the cable ends.
Essentially, Heartland has laid out everything, use the prerun cables, cut into your wall behind the "cut here to mount your controller" sticker/decal, mount your controller there and connect the cables to your controller..

Using the prerun wires would be my first choice, dont have to run roof cables, drill into my vent pipes and then tear into my enclosed underbody .... you get my drift.

Oregon_Camper

not at the moment but if you watch this video, you can see the sticker is just above my control panel, as you walk in the front door of the coach. skip to the 2:00 mark and 3:45 mark

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=DwqIMY0zRaY

They must have the cables going to the battery location. I would just connect them at that junction panel inside your trailer, using 2 sets of solar cable connections (MC4). Then just use a normal MPPT controller at the battery location.

Have you looked inside the panel? Wondering if the cable runs all the way to the battery location and IF you wanted to add a controller you would splice the cables at the junction box and install the controller.

schew

They must have the cables going to the battery location. I would just connect them at that junction panel inside your trailer, using 2 sets of solar cable connections (MC4). Then just use a normal MPPT controller at the battery location.

Yes, I already thought about your suggestion but would still need to cut a fairly large hole to get to the cables. No matter how much I try and dress up the patch, it's still going to look like an unsightly patch job.

I guess I could try and access the cables by removing the control panel itself but that might be opening up a can of worms as I doubt there's much excess cable to give me the room needed to work. Also, I would still have to get in between the area beneath my floor but above the enclosed underbelly to try and find the wires. My batteries lay in a battery but outside the trailer, unlike yours which are enclosed so i don't have a convenient place to mount the controller. I could mount it in my storage bin, but then I'd have to cut into that as well.

SLO

Looks like, given your access constraints, the controller you referenced above is a good choice. Bluesky is a good company. I'm curious if Heartland had a controller in mind when they prewired the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bones

remove your control panel and see what you are dealing with and go from there

- - - Updated - - -

Hi all,
As I'm in the purchasing phase of my little solar project I couldnt help notice the lack of choices when it comes to flush mounted mppt controllers. As of now, I'm leaning towards this model...
http://www.blueskyenergyinc.com/products/details/solar-boost-3000i

Can anyone recommend another controller that is a flush mounted? It's going to be inside my coach and want a finished look. Also, any owners of the Blue Sky want to chime in with their opinions or advice??

Thanks in advance.

I managed to watch the video and it shows Go Power. Why don't you use this? It looks almost exactly what would fit the space. Solar Panel Charge Controller

schew

Looks like, given your access constraints, the controller you referenced above is a good choice. Bluesky is a good company. I'm curious if Heartland had a controller in mind when they prewired the trailer. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, its GoPower! Their PVM controllers look nice, but I'm looking for a MPPT controller...- - - Updated - - -
remove your control panel and see what you are dealing with and go from there- - - Updated - - -I managed to watch the video and it shows Go Power. Why don't you use this? It looks almost exactly what would fit the space. Solar Panel Charge Controller
It would fit perfectly, other than the fact its a PVM, not MPPT controller

Bones

Yes, its GoPower! Their PVM controllers look nice, but I'm looking for a MPPT controller...- - - Updated - - -It would fit perfectly, other than the fact its a PVM, not MPPT controller
I know the MPPT are a bit fancier but are they really necessary. If your doing a very big system then yeah they will work well but If your doing something to use on occasion or as a supplement I see no reason to not use how the unit you have was set up

Oregon_Camper

I know the MPPT are a bit fancier but are they really necessary. If your doing a very big system then yeah they will work well but If your doing something to use on occasion or as a supplement I see no reason to not use how the unit you have was set up

Thinking you're correct. I think the best solution is to go PVM controller from GoPower and use the savings from not buying a MPPT controller, toward better batteries.

schew

It's my understanding that the benefits of having an mppt or pvm are substantial, especially if you have a smaller system.
For example, with a 100w/18v/5.5a solar panel it will pump out 18v , your controller will lower the voltage down to say 11 volts to charge your battery, at 5.56 amps. The extra 6 volts that the solar panel produces is wasted, it isn't used.
So...
Using a pvm:
11v x 5.56a = 61 watts

On the other hand using a mppt controller with the same equipment, it uses all the voltage on the solar panel.
Using a mppt:
18v ÷11v = 1.6
Current is increased by 1.6
1.6 x 5.56= 8.9 amps
12v x 8.34amps = 97.8 watts

So, as you can see, using a mppt controller, I'm charging my batteries at 8.9amps vs 5.56amps
At almost 20 watts more.
I would think a mppt controller would be most beneficial, especially with a system that has fewer panels...

Oregon_Camper

It's my understanding that the benefits of having an mppt or pvm are substantial, especially if you have a smaller system.
For example, with a 100w/18v/5.5a solar panel it will pump out 18v , your controller will lower the voltage down to say 11 volts to charge your battery, at 5.56 amps. The extra 6 volts that the solar panel produces is wasted, it isn't used.
So...
Using a pvm:
11v x 5.56a = 61 watts

On the other hand using a mppt controller with the same equipment, it uses all the voltage on the solar panel.
Using a mppt:
18v ÷11v = 1.6
Current is increased by 1.6
1.6 x 5.56= 8.9 amps
12v x 8.34amps = 97.8 watts

So, as you can see, using a mppt controller, I'm charging my batteries at 8.9amps vs 5.56amps
At almost 20 watts more.
I would think a mppt controller would be most beneficial, especially with a system that has fewer panels...

Call GoPower....they have some of the BEST customer service I've ever encountered. Give their techs all your solar specs and see what the experts say.

schew

Call GoPower....they have some of the BEST customer service I've ever encountered. Give their techs all your solar specs and see what the experts say.
UGH!Oregon,
I took your advice and spoke to a tech at GoPower. I gave him a brief explanation of the panels I have, and what I would like to get out of them.His advice did not lead me in one direction or another and somewhat confusing.
He initially said that their PVM controller would be fine for my setup. When I asked him about MPPT, he agreed that its a better charger. He summed it up by saying that if I had a large system, then I should go with a MPPT, especially if money wasn't an issue. Money is somewhat of an issue, but I'm willing to pay more for "whats right". The question still remains whether I can expect a PVM to keep up with my needs...

Oregon_Camper

UGH!Oregon,
I took your advice and spoke to a tech at GoPower. I gave him a brief explanation of the panels I have, and what I would like to get out of them.His advice did not lead me in one direction or another and somewhat confusing.
He initially said that their PVM controller would be fine for my setup. When I asked him about MPPT, he agreed that its a better charger. He summed it up by saying that if I had a large system, then I should go with a MPPT, especially if money wasn't an issue. Money is somewhat of an issue, but I'm willing to pay more for "whats right". The question still remains whether I can expect a PVM to keep up with my needs...

Not sure where you are looking to purchase from, but what if you asked them about their return policy??

Be upfront...tell them your situation and how you'd like to try the GoPower solution (PVT) and see how it work.

Perhaps they have a 30 or 60 day return policy. That would give you time to validate if this controller can keep up with your needs.

After reading the specs on the PVT controller from GoPower and noticing their new "30 minute Boost Up Cycle" I think this will work.

From what you said in earlier/different post, you won't exceed 4-7 days while dry camping and knowing you're going to get 2 Trojan T-1275's....I think you will be perfectly happy with the PVT system. Plus, the Trojan batteries will provide you with more power than you're probably used to, so you won't be dropping down to 25% overnight, by using TV and heater...they will be at 75% in the morning. :cool:

BTW...It might seem like I'm pushing GoPower....I LOVE their stuff but I do NOT have any affiliation with them.

schew

Not sure where you are looking to purchase from, but what if you asked them about their return policy??

Be upfront...tell them your situation and how you'd like to try the GoPower solution (PVT) and see how it work.

Perhaps they have a 30 or 60 day return policy. That would give you time to validate if this controller can keep up with your needs.

After reading the specs on the PVT controller from GoPower and noticing their new "30 minute Boost Up Cycle" I think this will work.

From what you said in earlier/different post, you won't exceed 4-7 days while dry camping and knowing you're going to get 2 Trojan T-1275's....I think you will be perfectly happy with the PVT system. Plus, the Trojan batteries will provide you with more power than you're probably used to, so you won't be dropping down to 25% overnight, by using TV and heater...they will be at 75% in the morning. :cool:

BTW...It might seem like I'm pushing GoPower....I LOVE their stuff but I do NOT have any affiliation with them.

They suggested buying the units off of amazon and returning the one I didnt like....
I may just get the GoPower unit... we will see.
Only issue of a side by side comparison is that a hole will need to be cut to access the wires, and the hole needs to be cut to the profile of the unit I decide on. Maybe I can cut a hole smaller than both controllers but large enough to retrieve the wires...