Purchasing Torque T32 need advice!!??

Micahluna

I'd love to get some advice on towing vehicles...

The t32 had a dry weight of 9500lbs.

We were loooking at the F-150 3.5L with a towing capacity of 12,000. This truck will also be a daily
driver. I like the cost, styling and MPG.

Should we jump to the f-250 disel and scratch the idea of the 150 or will we be ok?

thanks!!

danemayer

Hi micahluna,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You won't be towing a empty trailer. Most people end up with the actual weight being closer to the GVWR, which is 14,000 on the T32.

You should also take a look at payload spec on the truck. For travel trailers, I think you can plan on 10-15% of the GVWR being on the hitch, or about 1,400-2,100 lbs. Add to that the weight of the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, firewood, tools, pets, passengers and anything else you put in the truck.

An F-250 diesel will be a much better match. But you should check the specs on the actual truck you plan to buy because the actual capabilities vary depending on how the truck is configured.

Oregon_Camper

If you plan on carrying fluffy pillows only in the garage...then the 150 would work. ;) LOL

Joking aside, I am guessing you're buying a toy hauler to carry something BIG, like a Quad, motorcycle, dirt bikes, golf cart...etc.

That will add weight FAST.

Note...the 9,500 weight does not include battery, awning. You'll also need to add in ~800 lbs if you were to fill the 98 gallon fresh water tank.

While the 150 seems like a solution for both towing and commuting, it really isn't. To be safe, jumping to a 250 or 350 would be your best option. If you can find a 350 diesel...GET IT. I was shocked by the difference in towing between diesel and gas trucks.....not even close.

schew

I would have to agree with Oregon,
a F250 Powerstoke will tow it like it's not even there whereas you will pretty much be at or over your GVWR as well as your GCWR.
My trailer is very similar to yours, a t31 and I tow it with my F250 Powerstroke.
Depending on what options you have on your truck, when loaded up with cargo, passenger and fuel, the tongue weight alone may very well put you over your gvwr.

Micahluna

I would have to agree with Oregon,
a F250 Powerstoke will tow it like it's not even there whereas you will pretty much be at or over your GVWR as well as your GCWR.
My trailer is very similar to yours, a t31 and I tow it with my F250 Powerstroke.
Depending on what options you have on your truck, when loaded up with cargo, passenger and fuel, the tongue weight alone may very well put you over your gvwr.

Thank you everyone for the feedback! Very helpful! @schew how do you like you T31?

Puzzled_1

I tow my T32 with a 2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ diesel. For me the weight wasn't the issue, it was being able to go over the hills at the same pace I was at the bottom. I don't want to be the guy causing a 3 mile back up because I drop 20 miles an hour trying to climb hills. With that said in stock form I did have my truck shut down on me running the hills of Virginia into Tennessee. I was building to hi of exhaust temps. I have since deleted and chipped the truck. I picked up an honest 2 miles to the gallon towing. Better yet where at one time I'd tuck in line pulling the hills and now I no longer have to.

Prior to setting the hitch up.

schew

Thank you everyone for the feedback! Very helpful! @schew how do you like you T31?

Only taken it out once but so far I love it! We upgraded from 26' toyhauler to the T31, an extra 12' long. Was concerned with the addition length but turned out to be a non issue.
So far everything's been great, just make sure you do a very thorough PDI. During our trip we found out that the pex water lines weren't tightened to specs and we ended up with lot of water on the floor, ouch!

Also, the wintering valve was still engaged and I did not have hot water during my first trip. We thought perhaps the water heater was broken so we were relieved it was just a valve in the wrong position.
Good news is that I realized I have a propane as well as e electric water heater ... cool!