Floor repair

MountainTop

Last fall we noticed a soft area under the vinyl near the entry door and decided to have it looked at when we did the spring spruce up. Shouldn't have waited. We've just learned that it's just the tip of the iceberg. There is water damage to a large section of the floor. There's also a wet wall in the pass through storage bin on the curved back wall of the trailer. Apparently a repair for this type of flooring will require removing a significant portion of the interior in order to remove and replace all the damaged flooring. Could be as much as $4-5,000 in labor alone. The repair shop guy didn't encourage us to get the repairs done because of the expense and complexity. For now we're in a holding pattern, researching our insurance (not likely this kind of damage is covered) and trying to decide if it's worth the money in order to salvage some value for resale, or if we should just call it a sad learning experience and eat the loss. We know if we don't repair it that mold will eventually add to the problem. We will, however, proceed with a trip scheduled to begin next month before pulling the plug or shelling out for repairs.

If any of you have some words of wisdom to pass along I'd appreciate it. I'm sure we're not the first to experience water woes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garypowell

I certainly can't claim we had a problem as large as yours but our previous unit had a damaged (by water) area about 4 foot square. Some of it extended under the shower.

Took up the vinyl and what a mess. Started just pulling out the wet and damaged stuff. Finally got to some good wood and found there was some "floor joist" like structure. Also put 2 by 2's under good flooring and screwed it to good flooring that acted like floor joists over area where there were none.

Got some good plywood and cut it to fit and screwed it down to original floor joists and my improvised ones. then got some new vinyl and laid it. Good as new.

did it all over a weekend while we were on a trip. had to purchase a vibratory cutter......but had everything else with me.....well other than the wood.

If you are going to pay someone else to fix it....you might consider taking it apart by yourself and seeing how it looks underneath.....you might be surprised you can fix it yourself.