Dog won't rest while moving

NYSUPstater

We have a mini Golden Doodle who weighs 35 lbs. Ever since we got him 5 years ago, we will not lay down to save his soul when traveling. Pants almost the whole time. If he does lay down, it's very short, then right back to sitting up. Never sleeps. Asked the vet 2 years ago for suggestions and they said to try Damamine or Benedryl. Did the 2nd and no luck. Still sat up and just paned. What have others done if you've had the same problem?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When we first tried traveling with our new cats, they would cry nearly the whole time. Not in distress, but just being separated from us. I found Quiet Moments Calming Aid, by Naturvet. It was a treat with natural ingredients. It helped calm them down and sleep. Now they realize travel is no big deal, and they don't need it anymore. They sleep the whole way.

Here's a link to the dog version. I can't say it will help, but maybe worth a try.

https://www.amazon.com/NaturVet-Qui...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=K29J2H395TRXY7FFFXYG

kowAlski631

Ask your vet if Prozac would help. Our Shihpoo had separation anxiety - even when he was in his crate and could see me. The Prozac helped and now he's good without it. If he's created at home, consider crating in the truck during travel. Good luck!

Oregon_Camper

What about having the passenger ride in the back seat with the dog for a few trips, to get the dog comfortable with being in the truck.

Javagirl

We use Rescue Remedy by Bach. All natural herbs, etc. Should be available on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

We'll be taking our 8 month old pup on her first long trip next week. DW is concerned about how she'll do after the first hour or two. I think Callie might just want to ride up front. When we load up, I guess I'll see who calls shotgun. ;)

BusManRG

Just a note about the Prozac. A number of years ago the vet suggested we try Prozac on our kitty who was having trouble adjusting to our new home. A short time (maybe 1 hour) after taking the med, poor kitty started stumbling around and then lost all control of his hind legs. Just dragged them behind him. I was horrified and quickly called the vet. I was told not to worry, the dose might be a bit high or he needed to adjust to the med. It would wear off and we would try a lower dose the next day. NO WAY. I tossed the pills and that was the one and only day we tried it. Sooo scarry. I just cried and felt horrible guilt watching that cat try to move himself around. I don't remember how we solved the problem, but for that kitty, it wasn't Prozac.

My point...if you do try medications, try them early in the day, preferably mid-week, when you are around to watch for a reaction and a vet would be available if needed.

Sandy

kowAlski631

Just a note about the Prozac. A number of years ago the vet suggested we try Prozac on our kitty who was having trouble adjusting to our new home. A short time (maybe 1 hour) after taking the med, poor kitty started stumbling around and then lost all control of his hind legs. Just dragged them behind him. I was horrified and quickly called the vet. I was told not to worry, the dose might be a bit high or he needed to adjust to the med. It would wear off and we would try a lower dose the next day. NO WAY. I tossed the pills and that was the one and only day we tried it. Sooo scarry. I just cried and felt horrible guilt watching that cat try to move himself around. I don't remember how we solved the problem, but for that kitty, it wasn't Prozac.

My point...if you do try medications, try them early in the day, preferably mid-week, when you are around to watch for a reaction and a vet would be available if needed.

Sandy

Ours didn't have a problem, but our vet has been seeing ours for years and the Shihpoo was 2 when we started the Prozac. We'd tried all the natural and homeopathic remedies with no measurable success. He's no longer on the meds. Different animals do have different results, so we started with the lowest dosage. Easy to increase.

MrRvGypsy

We have a mini Golden Doodle who weighs 35 lbs. Ever since we got him 5 years ago, we will not lay down to save his soul when traveling. Pants almost the whole time. If he does lay down, it's very short, then right back to sitting up. Never sleeps. Asked the vet 2 years ago for suggestions and they said to try Damamine or Benedryl. Did the 2nd and no luck. Still sat up and just paned. What have others done if you've had the same problem?
We have a standard poodle that does the same thing (never lays down even after 4 or 5 hours). She is incredibly motion oriented. She follows all movement be it a squirrel, bird, cow, armadillo or car and trucks on the highway. The closer the moving object is to her the more she lunges and tries to catch them. Yes she's an amazingly focused fetch and retrieve dog.
Our dog also pants and licks the windows incessantly. She has a doggie seatbelt harness that limits her movement to the passenger side of the vehicle which does help somewhat.
Never gets sicks or anything like that I think she just is tremendously movement oriented and focused.

tessa

our dog does the same thing- never sits or lays down and she gets the whole back seat! I told my DW that I might put my fitbit on her. she weighs about 25 pounds. the first year when we had the motorhome she would pace after that she would lay on the floor and sleep, maybe after a year she will do the same.
our little dog 5 1/2 pounds just sleeps the whole time

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our two doxies are kennel trained so they both ride in one large kennel in the back seat situated between the two front seats so they can see us and out the front window. They are both usually asleep before we pull out of driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
We had one that stood all the way panting the whole way . She was in a crate nothing we tried did any good . We just arrived to the dog show a day early so she could rest . When we stopped for gas she would lay down but as soon as the van started up she was up. Once it was 10 hours I just knew she would lay down nope all the way. She lived to be 14 so I guess it didn't hurt her.