Newbies need advice

We are new to RV’s, this will be our first one. We have two immediate questions, but I know there will be lots more.

We’ve been looking for a small TT to tow with our ’04 Silverado 1500 (5.3L, 3.73 rear, long bed ext. cab, 4x4). We have our choices down to a North Trail 21FBS or a Jay Flight G2 23FB. We need an RV that we can use to travel out west for vacation, for weekend trips, and to use through Christmas in South Central PA. Most trips will be just us, occasionally with grandchildren.

Our biggest concern is our truck. Will the Chevy handle the 21FBS on the mountain grades going to places like the Smoky Mountains or Yellowstone and other western parks?

Second, will the North Trail be livable in temps that may go down to the 20’s at night?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
BillandKathy With a max weight of 6900# on the North Trail, your Chevy should have no trouble pulling or stopping the 21FBS. I'm not familiar with the Jayco but we've owned a Jay Flight 5th wheel. It was an 04 28.5 RKS and we pulled that with a 2500HD. Prior to that we had a Dutchman 27FKS and that was a beast but we pulled it with a 2001 Yukon. It stopped better than it pulled but I can attest to the weight of the trailer. It was heavier than the specs. We scaled it at 7650#. A tad under 1000# of that was on the tongue. We were maxed out on the Yukon. With the weight of the North Trail, you'll do fine.

Hi BillandKathy,

We pull our 21 FBS with a Tahoe that has the same engine and gears as your truck. I can't even tell it's back there, even when climbing big hills. We have a monster grade getting back to our house, it pulls up that hill with no problem. As far as the Jayco, we don't have any experience with them, we did look at it, but really liked what the North Trail had to offer. Good luck with your decision.

SP

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
1/2 ton will tow that North Trail nicely....

Of course it is a chebby soooo........ OK I'll be nice and won't go there LOLNone Lets just say Generous Motors products never played nicely with me or my brother so I'm a bit biased.;)

Thanks for the responses. We’ve decided that the North Trail is a good choice. Now all we have to do is find a dealer who has one for us to look at. The nearest we can find is about 100 miles.

CampingJunkie

Bill and Kathy, if you buy from a dealer 100 miles away, you can get any warranty work done by any dealer that has a Heartland product. 100 miles is not bad. I know others that are much farther away from their dealers.

So if a Heartland dealer of any product is closer than 100 miles, you can get any warranty work done by that dealer. Buy from the North Trail dealer and warranty work done closer by a Heartland dealer. Not sure of your area and the dealers around you but just wanted to make you aware of your options.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just thought I would let you know the closest Heartland dealer to me is 75 miles. I purchased my Landmark at a dealer 175 miles away. You got to go where the deal is best. I have had warranty work done at several different Heartland dealers. I believe it is possible to get warranty work done at a non-Heartland dealer with Heartlands approval. FYI...