Problems With Warranty/service Procedures

dglenna

In need of warranty repairs/issues but getting the "run around" from manufacture- what good is the one year manufacture's warranty if they don't honor it?? They tried to tell me some of the stuff is my fault. I bought this brand new.

Who do I need to talk to at Heartland? We LOVE our Resort destination trailer, but getting treated poorly is not something I want to deal with. Wont be buying one of these again. HELP.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Hi dglenna,

Hi dglenna,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the trailer and with getting warranty service.

Warranties in the RV industry break down into 3 categories:

• Things the manufacturer warrants
  • Things warranted by a subsystem or appliance manufacturer
  • Things not warranted

As an example, refrigerators, water heaters, furnaces, air conditioners are all warranted by the appliance manufacturer. Heartland doesn't get involved in those repairs.

As another example, if Heartland made an assembly mistake in the wiring, Heartland's warranty would cover that.

An example of things not warranted would be minor adjustments that the dealer should have completed within the first 90 days.

Things like water damage get a little murky. They're often caused by lack of maintenance to the caulking. Caulking needs to be checked several times each year and maintained as necessary. Trailers can sit on a dealer lot for an extended period, probably receiving no maintenance. Then you take delivery and perhaps another 6 months go by without checking the caulking. It's possible that subsequent water leaks could cause damage that would not be attributable to a manufacturing defect. They would not be covered by warranty.

I remember a situation a few years ago where an owner had extensive damage due to a plumbing leak. He had his water pump on and could hear it cycling periodically when he wasn't using any water. The owners manual warns that this indicates a possible leak and that it needs to be investigated. This owner ignored it. Heartland was willing to fix the leak, but the warranty statement excluded the consequential damage that the owner could have prevented.

Let me suggest that you carefully read through the warranty statement to understand what Heartland has promised relative to the problems you're having. Then I would call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. You may have already spoken with people at Customer Service, but even if you have, you should call again to discuss your comparison of the warranty statement to the problems you're having.

dglenna

I understand your what you are describing- thank you!

the issues with trailer are not to do with any appliances. I actually inspect roof/seals/caulking every weekend, april through Oct. (trailer is parked in a resort)

issues like torn slide out seals, interior wall trim coming off walls, other manufacturing defects. Rear entrance screen door has huge paint chips (black painted screen door) and Heartland trys to tell me I need to contact third party vendor who makes door; yeah right! Another one is the plastic piece on each side of window that opens vertically- needs notches in plastic to remain up/open. two windows in hallway- one window is usable (has notches and allows window to remain open) other window has no notches and window has no place to latch to remain open. all of that should have been checked before the unit left Elkhart and was towed up to Minnesota.

gotfooled

In need of warranty repairs/issues but getting the "run around" from manufacture- what good is the one year manufacture's warranty if they don't honor it?? They tried to tell me some of the stuff is my fault. I bought this brand new.

Who do I need to talk to at Heartland? We LOVE our Resort destination trailer, but getting treated poorly is not something I want to deal with. Wont be buying one of these again. HELP.

Sorry to hear it. I was told by Heartland that ENTIRE unit is covered bumper to bumper for 1 year, by Heartland. After that individual items are covered by mfg. of that unit. I'm sure the first time I need svc., i'll find out.

danemayer

Sorry to hear it. I was told by Heartland that ENTIRE unit is covered bumper to bumper for 1 year, by Heartland. After that individual items are covered by mfg. of that unit. I'm sure the first time I need svc., i'll find out.

Read your warranty statement in your owners manual. That will tell you exactly how the warranty works. And you'll also see that it explicitly states that no one can add to the warranty by telling you something different from what is written.

gotfooled

Read your warranty statement in your owners manual. That will tell you exactly how the warranty works. And you'll also see that it explicitly states that no one can add to the warranty by telling you something different from what is written.

The fact that I was talking to HEARTLAND themselves directly, carries no water........that makes me feel comfortable! They lied to me, also?
Since we are on the subject of warranties, is there an easier way to get the s/n of the roof a/c units than climbing up there? They are not accessible from onside the RV. Thanks.

pjones1969

is there an easier way to get the s/n of the roof a/c units than climbing up there? They are not accessible from onside the RV. Thanks.

Not sure what you have but on my Dometic if you pull the filter register inside the trailer you should be able to see a data plate up there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not sure what you have but on my Dometic if you pull the filter register inside the trailer you should be able to see a data plate up there

The 2015/2016 whisper quiet units don't have any access to the actual AC from inside the rig, so no.

I took pics of ours through the vents on the side of the roof unit.

gotfooled

Not sure what you have but on my Dometic if you pull the filter register inside the trailer you should be able to see a data plate up there.

Cant be done. No part of the a/c units are inside the 5th wheel, just circular feed vents and circular return vents. Heartland said "don't worry about it, they cover them for 1st year". Why do I feel nausea coming on?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
It's good to have this info, so when you are searching the 'net for solutions, you can search for your specific model.