Confederate Memorial Day

B

BouseBill

April 24th; Confederate Memorial Day

My Great-Great-Grandfather on my fathers side of the family fought for the Great State of Alabama,(Coosa County) and survived.

My Great-Great-Grandfather on my father's mother's side of the family was KIA and in an unknown resting place, may he Rest in Peace.

And now I see the New Orleans is removing all the Confederate Statues, what a shame political correctness is.

'Lil Guy'

I've visited lots of Civil War battlefields and have studied a lot of the battles. It's part of our history, good bad or indifferent. States flying the Stars and Bars may not be correct, but monuments and statues should not be touched. Just my 2 cents.
I also believe in states rights.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
April 24th; Confederate Memorial Day

And now I see the New Orleans is removing all the Confederate Statues, what a shame political correctness is.

Being done by a mayor that originally voted for a confederate license plate when he was a state legislator. Go figure. But Nola does not represent the rest of the state of Louisiana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Was born south of the Mason- Dixon but raised in MI. Not sure if folks consider me rebel or yank, but I have always had a strong belief in states rights and am proud of my country regardless of which side of the fence people like to stand on. I agree it's a shame that so many of the monuments to the hero's of the south who gave all for what they believed in are now no longer accepted. Indeed it's a sad page in our national story, as sad as slavery, or civil rights abuse. JMHO.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

VKTalley

When I see things like what is going on in New Orleans, I am reminded of a saying I heard somewhere...

"If we forget our past (history), we are destined to repeat it."

Our history is filled with good things, bad things, and ugly things that we need to remember and learn from. I am a southern girl, born and raised in Kentucky. I'm sure I had family members who fought on both sides of the civil war as Kentucky was a divided state. If you can find it, listen to C.W. McCall and Mannheim Streamroller's song called "TinType". An excellent reminder of what that time was like for all our ancestors, both north and south.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
If you can find it, listen to C.W. McCall and Mannheim Streamroller's song called "TinType". An excellent reminder of what that time was like for all our ancestors, both north and south.

And then located on Netflix or PBS the Ken Burns documentary "The Civil War" and be amazed at the sacrifice given on both sides. They were all Americans, remember that.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Any reason to complain and the bleeding hearts will do it for the media attention. PC history is not history, nor is it correct.

BigGuy82

Any reason to complain and the bleeding hearts will do it for the media attention. PC history is not history, nor is it correct.

Political correctness is destroying our beautiful country. How does erasing history teach anyone anything. How does changing facts to suit your own beliefs make those beliefs valid? How stupid. The sad part is that a huge portion of our population buys into this twaddle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wdk450

Political correctness is destroying our beautiful country. How does erasing history teach anyone anything. How does changing facts to suit your own beliefs make those beliefs valid? How stupid. The sad part is that a huge portion of our population buys into this twaddle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I REALLY didn't want to participate in this thread, although I ENTIRELY support letting existing memorials stay undisturbed, while inflammatory items like the Confederate flag's use is phased out. The elephant in the room that has NOT been even mentioned in this thread, although "states rights" certainly has, is the fact that the American Civil War was truly about the wrong of depriving a vast number of Americans of their freedom, the economic benefits of their labor, and the protections of our constitution, for both the slaves living at that time and for their families for the undetermined future. I share in this shame, having gotten genealogical research that establishes the founder of my US "Knight" clan as one Abel Knight, who came to North Carolina in the 1740's, was a large slaveholder. Many black Americans carry the same last name as I do.

Again, I just wanted to say that we can't in any good conscience discuss Confederate Memorial Day in any depth, and gloss over the major cause of the American Civil War.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BouseBill

Again, I just wanted to say that we can't in any good conscience discuss Confederate Memorial Day in any depth, and gloss over the major cause of the American Civil War.

You are of course correct. Although I firmly believe the PC crowd has other motives, Their unbridled hatred of the South and everyone who disagrees with them is totally unacceptable...... in their own minds anyway.

Gaffer

I REALLY didn't want to participate in this thread, although I ENTIRELY support letting existing memorials stay undisturbed, while inflammatory items like the Confederate flag's use is phased out. The elephant in the room that has NOT been even mentioned in this thread, although "states rights" certainly has, is the fact that the American Civil War was truly about the wrong of depriving a vast number of Americans of their freedom, the economic benefits of their labor, and the protections of our constitution, for both the slaves living at that time and for their families for the undetermined future. I share in this shame, having gotten genealogical research that establishes the founder of my US "Knight" clan as one Abel Knight, who came to North Carolina in the 1740's, was a large slaveholder. Many black Americans carry the same last name as I do.

Thumbs up Bill! I don't know what Cookie deleted from your post as being too political, but he should have deleted the thread.

porthole

Retired
the major cause of the American Civil War.

In perspective, The Civil War came about just a little bit different.

The real cause of the America Civil War was State Sovereignty versus Federal Authority.

Although the underlying premise for the South's action was slavery, the real reason the first shot was fired at Fort Sumter was because of the secession of the Southern States.

South Carolina seceded from the Union, Fort Sumter was "Union property" that South Carolina seized and allowing the State's to secede and seize property was not part of the juvenile United States of America's program. Lincoln was forced to defend the Constitution and the framework of the United States.

Let's not forget the most important draft that came out of the Civil War, the Emancipation Proclamation, did not surface until a year and a half after the first shot. There is something to be said about that delay.

Slavery has been around since the dawn of time, when the first nation to invade and conquer another nation and enslave it's inhabitants.
The United States can be proud of it's attempts to abolish slavery, but by declaring a "flag" inappropriate, just because of the arrangement of the stars and bars is a bit much.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
In perspective, The Civil War came about just a little bit different.

The real cause of the America Civil War was State Sovereignty versus Federal Authority.

Although the underlying premise for the South's action was slavery, the real reason the first shot was fired at Fort Sumter was because of the secession of the Southern States.

South Carolina seceded from the Union, Fort Sumter was "Union property" that South Carolina seized and allowing the State's to secede and seize property was not part of the juvenile United States of America's program. Lincoln was forced to defend the Constitution and the framework of the United States.

Let's not forget the most important draft that came out of the Civil War, the Emancipation Proclamation, did not surface until a year and a half after the first shot. There is something to be said about that delay.

Slavery has been around since the dawn of time, when the first nation to invade and conquer another nation and enslave it's inhabitants.
The United States can be proud of it's attempts to abolish slavery, but by declaring a "flag" inappropriate, just because of the arrangement of the stars and bars is a bit much.

It's that wave of political correctness and blaming the white man for the ills of the world driving this. Little is said about the fact that Africans were capturing and selling other Africans to the highest bidders. Muslims were also heavy in the slave trade (still are by some accounts). Human trafficking is still a big business.

Was it right? Of course not, but it was the way it was. Did all Confederate soldiers have mansions and own slaves? Doubtful. Most of the rank and file were dirt farmers who died trying to defend their homes. To sweep their memory from our history is wrong.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Well stated Duane. I have very little respect for anyone who wants to destroy or change our history, and even less for anyone who wants to squash a conversation about it. I am a huge history buff and was going to write what you did but probably not as well as you.

When I was living in Germany I went and toured the Dachau, Sachsenhausen, and Buchenwald concentration camps. Can you imagine living in a town with one of those camps in it? The German people keep them as a reminder of their history. They keep them as a reminder not to let what happened in them happen anywhere else, ever again. Some folks in this country could learn a thing or two from them.
[h=2][/h]

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Nancy and I were just at an annual meeting of retirees from her old employer in Gettysburg after our HOC rally there. The guest speaker was an historian from Gettysburg. 6 generation family. He presented us with 5 reasons that historians discuss as to the cause(s) of the civil war. Hopefully Nancy still has it somewhere and if so I'll come back here and add it to the post. Duane is correct it was about states rights and federal overreach as a major issue. Interestingly when I read the 5 reasons I said to Nancy "look where we are today, same place". During the speaker's presentation, he focused the group on the same scenario several times. His stance is history will soon repeat itself because today still no one is willing to compromise.

BigGuy82

Was born south of the Mason- Dixon but raised in MI. Not sure if folks consider me rebel or yank, but I have always had a strong belief in states rights and am proud of my country regardless of which side of the fence people like to stand on. I agree it's a shame that so many of the monuments to the hero's of the south who gave all for what they believed in are now no longer accepted. Indeed it's a sad page in our national story, as sad as slavery, or civil rights abuse. JMHO.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Here's my view on this clearly non-RV related debate (yes I know this is a non-RV related thread - I'm "not following" after this message)

Memorial Day and Veterans Day honor ALL veterans, including those on both sides of the Civil War. If ancestors of Confederate Army soldiers choose to cut out a separate day for their fallen heroes, fine. I wish them a peaceful holiday but if you can't, then just stay silent. Is there really a need to put a burr under someone's saddle on a day of respect and contemplation because YOU don't agree with them. For God's sake, be quiet and let them have the holiday. Save your ideological debate for another day. For those of you who passionately believe the South was right, don't use this day as a chance to hop on a soapbox, just honor your fallen heroes.

I don't know how this morphed into an extended debate on the Civil War, slavery, etc. At the end of the day, "Confederate Memorial Day" is a celebration observed by folks who have proud family histories to honor their fallen heroes. I honor all veterans, knowing that many of us who picked up the sword risked everything because their duly elected government compelled them to do so - it's called "duty". Not everyone was a volunteer, so don't condemn those who did their duty as their country defined it. Just wish them a nice day, even if you don't agree with them - or, at very least stay silent.

My father was drafted during WWII - would you dishonor him with your words and actions because you thought that war was wrong? He was recalled during Korea - ditto? I volunteered for Vietnam - go ahead and denigrate me because you didn't believe in that war - I don't care - just don't do it on a day that is meant to respect our military. My son joined the Marines after 9/11 - he volunteered, and sacrificed to give you the right to your opinion. So even though it is your right to spout your thoughts, don't do it on a day meant to honor those who helped secure that right. If you can't say thank you, rather than denigrate someone's beliefs, just remain silent. Save the debate.

The point is that even if you don't agree with someone's point of view, be civil ... it might help prevent yet another civil war. In my opinion, we have enough anarchists trying to destroy us - let's come together and fight that threat, not each other. For those of you who celebrate Confederate Memorial Day, have a peaceful holiday.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I too don't intend to enter into the debate over the Civil War. None of us can change history but I can make a difference for the city of New Orleans. I have been there in the past but don't intend to go back. There are plenty of Mardi Gras celebrations, great Cajun food and fun nightclubs everywhere. I will vote with my wallet and I would urge all of us that are offended by NO's actions of removing monuments of Civil War heroes to do likewise. When they see a drop in tourists and the income from them, perhaps they will realize their errors.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Nancy and I were just at an annual meeting of retirees from her old employer in Gettysburg after our HOC rally there. The guest speaker was an historian from Gettysburg. 6 generation family. He presented us with 5 reasons that historians discuss as to the cause(s) of the civil war. Hopefully Nancy still has it somewhere and if so I'll come back here and add it to the post. Duane is correct it was about states rights and federal overreach as a major issue. Interestingly when I read the 5 reasons I said to Nancy "look where we are today, same place". During the speaker's presentation, he focused the group on the same scenario several times. His stance is history will soon repeat itself because today still no one is willing to compromise.

Here's the list of 5 reasons...
8f74e48617ff9b478e651779f01913b1.jpg