MICE in ceiling - PLEASE HELP!

jrzygrl64

We have a 2014 Landmark and have mice in our ceiling - we have no idea how they are getting in/out but we can hear them scratching in there and it's driving us crazy! Traps won't fit in the vent - we put traps in the one kitchen drawer we found poop in.

Any suggestions?

FYI - we already have a cat. Doesn't seem to be deterring them at all.

Thanks in advance

olcoon

My wife's cat will alert us when we have one, but the dang thing won't go after them. Isn't interested in them even when she sees one! You might try some of the block poison. I've used the little nuggets on our hunting property, but they will collect them in a stash before it gets them. The theory with mouse poison it they'll eat it, then get super thirsty, and go outside to a water source. However sometimes they don't make it, then you've got the smell for awhile. You might try mothballs maybe it'll run them out.

As far as them getting in, they have to get in somewhere that your rig has contact with the ground. When we were getting them, I'm thinking that they were climbing the front jacks, as when I started putting traps in the front basement, I'd catch at least one a day, & wouldn't have them in the coach. We were work camping at the time, & I didn't do anything until we got home, then I went around and filled every hole I could find with the spray foam, and we haven't had any since then. One thing we started doing after that is that we heard that putting white rope lights all around the camper, & leaving them on 24/7 would keep them away. Don't know if it was filling the holes with foam, or the rope lights, or both, but we haven't had a mouse since.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you can't get a trap into the ceiling vents you might want to try a sticky board. Might be able to get that in there.
Do you hear them at night or during the day? If daytime it could be birds on the roof rather than mice in the ceiling.
Mice go where the food is so put out plenty of traps with peanut butter as bait.
Also, mice run along walls so put your traps next to the walls.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Beware of poisons if you have a cat or don't want to smell a dead rodent hidden in the ductwork. Snap traps baited with peanut butter work. Place them inside cabinets under the drawers (be sure to check them). Another device I found that does work is an electronic trap from Victor Pest. Runs on 4 C-cell batteries and you bait it with peanut butter. They crawl in, get electrocuted and fall into a collection bin. The indicator light will tell you when it has one. Comes in different sizes. And pets can't get into it.

Gary521

Go to Home Depot and get an ultrasonic rodent repel. They are little things that plug in. They are not expensive. Put one in the living area, one in the bedroom and one in the basement. They come three per pack. I do not know if they get rid of the existing mice, if that is what you have, but good for keeping them out.

Mikemec51

They say Irish Spring will help too. So get a bar and cut it up a little bit and get a little mesh bag and put it in different spots of your trailer/RV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mlpeloquin

Mice hate mint. Fresh mint. They will not cross a mint plant barrier. So add a lot of fresh mint and a small light blowing muffin fan to push the smell through your vents. They may very well exit the same way they came in.

HornedToad

Mice hate mint. Fresh mint. They will not cross a mint plant barrier. So add a lot of fresh mint and a small light blowing muffin fan to push the smell through your vents. They may very well exit the same way they came in.

I've posted this before...
I had a rent / college house that was infested with mice and I tried everything to get rid of them!!!
What worked??? Peppermint Oil... the mice cannot stand the smell.
I just dipped cotton balls in the peppermint oil and spread them around the house in small plastic cups so it didn't stain anything.

JohnDar

The Mousefree I spray on my frame is laced with peppermint oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westwind

Feel your pain - been there last winter, we had them in the trailer before we left for Florida and thought we had trapped them all but not the case, once we got there I heard them in the over head (recessed lights). I opened the wall into the bulkhead where the hot water heater, water pump, and inverter are located and put a couple of sticky boards and caught the sucker. I recommend checking the boards once a day.
In our 3070RL Bighorn there is a wire chase behind the wall behind the kitchen cabinets, on the off door - kitchen side of the FW, its above the cabinets you can see a spot where the mouse followed the wires and got into the ceiling, I figured the mice were following the wires. I stuffed steel wool into the top and bottom of the wires to keep the mice from following the wires. I also installed the electronic devices to chase them away in every outlet in the trailer, overkill - yes- but my wife was going nuts. We also discovered a dead one on top of the kitchen cabinet that was stinking up the trailer while were in it, our first two months of snow birding last year was miserable because of the little buggers, I still have to work on the underbelly closing up ever crack, the big problem will be the hydraulic plungers for the slides.
We had mice poop in all the light fixtures, used the central vac to clean them out, also vacuumed out the AC vents as best as we could. Unfortunately I don't think we have seen the end of them. I also got some plastic zip bags poked holes in the bags and stuffed them with moth balls from the dollar store and put them around the wheels and jacks starting in August.

John T Bettencourt

Go to Home Depot and get an ultrasonic rodent repel. They are little things that plug in. They are not expensive. Put one in the living area, one in the bedroom and one in the basement. They come three per pack. I do not know if they get rid of the existing mice, if that is what you have, but good for keeping them out.
Don't wast your time with the plug in repelers they do not work

Mrsfish

They say Irish Spring will help too. So get a bar and cut it up a little bit and get a little mesh bag and put it in different spots of your trailer/RV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

just yesterday, a client of mine was telling me about the pack rats that had eaten all the wires in her car. It was recommended that she try Irish Spring. So she cut the bars in 3rds and put them around her car. 1 day later there were NO BARS OF SOAP. So she put out whole bars of Irish spring and 1 day later there were NO Bars of soap. She put the bars out one more time and checked in 1 hour- you got it, NO bars of soap after 1 hour.

JohnDar

Feel your pain - been there last winter, we had them in the trailer before we left for Florida and thought we had trapped them all but not the case, once we got there I heard them in the over head (recessed lights). I opened the wall into the bulkhead where the hot water heater, water pump, and inverter are located and put a couple of sticky boards and caught the sucker. I recommend checking the boards once a day.
In our 3070RL Bighorn there is a wire chase behind the wall behind the kitchen cabinets, on the off door - kitchen side of the FW, its above the cabinets you can see a spot where the mouse followed the wires and got into the ceiling, I figured the mice were following the wires. I stuffed steel wool into the top and bottom of the wires to keep the mice from following the wires. I also installed the electronic devices to chase them away in every outlet in the trailer, overkill - yes- but my wife was going nuts. We also discovered a dead one on top of the kitchen cabinet that was stinking up the trailer while were in it, our first two months of snow birding last year was miserable because of the little buggers, I still have to work on the underbelly closing up ever crack, the big problem will be the hydraulic plungers for the slides.
We had mice poop in all the light fixtures, used the central vac to clean them out, also vacuumed out the AC vents as best as we could. Unfortunately I don't think we have seen the end of them. I also got some plastic zip bags poked holes in the bags and stuffed them with moth balls from the dollar store and put them around the wheels and jacks starting in August.

To block the hydraulic rod openings, I used an old inner tube cut into squares about 5" x 5". Cut a small hole in it (a little smaller than the rod diameter) and then a slit from the edge to the hole. Put it over the rod and screw it to the frame. Some Gorilla tape will help close the edges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brianlajoie

We also had some mice in the ceiling. We removed the led lights and put dryer sheets (cut down to fit) in the holes and reinstalled the lights. We also put a few sheets down on the floor too. That was a year ago and haven't seen them back. Will be checking in a couple weeks when we pull the trailer out of storage for the National Rally.

Bobby A

I've posted this before...
I had a rent / college house that was infested with mice and I tried everything to get rid of them!!!
What worked??? Peppermint Oil... the mice cannot stand the smell.
I just dipped cotton balls in the peppermint oil and spread them around the house in small plastic cups so it didn't stain anything.

X2 !!! Peppermint Oil, been using it for years, never had an issue after I started using it !!!

BigGuy82

Wait until there is a full moon, then run around the trailer counter-clockwise in your underwear while yelling and banging a tambourine over your head. You won't get rid of the mice but you will get the full attention of all your fellow campers. However, this works just as well as Cling Free sheets, Irish Spring, mint leaves, peppermint oil and electronic mouse sound emitters.

jrzygrl64

Wow - thanks for all the awesome replies!

Im willing to try anything - except the poison - don't want my cat getting into it accidently - and also I've heard of them dying in the walls or basement and skinking - I think someone said that above.

We did already get one in the drawer where we found poop -

Thanks again!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wait until there is a full moon, then run around the trailer counter-clockwise in your underwear while yelling and banging a tambourine over your head. You won't get rid of the mice but you will get the full attention of all your fellow campers. However, this works just as well as Cling Free sheets, Irish Spring, mint leaves, peppermint oil and electronic mouse sound emitters.

In my case they ate the soap, used the mint leaves for nest material and used the dryer sheets for a pee pad.

Peace
Dave

Westwind

If you are getting them in the dresser drawer I would suggest dropping the (pipe-wire) cover in the storage compartment, when I did that to mine and found mice poop they were using it as a passage from the bulkhead under the trailer to the opening under the dresser where wires came into the trailer and pipes to the washer/dryer hookup. I stuffed steel wool in the left side pipe/wire opening and the right side also and put the cover back on, I checked the next year and found no mice poop, your goal should be to find and plug up any openings you can find, and when you think you have found them all, they find another. But don't give in.
All the things folks have suggested can help, won't be 100% but you never know, don't give up.

farside291

Who here was trying to take a picture inside of the A/C vent and one of those little boogers poked his head out and bout knocked the person off the chair. Someone said something about a Man card loss, now that was funny. On a serious note, we used sticky traps and thumbtacks to keep the mice from taking the trap back into the ceiling and dieing.