Backup Lights & Replacing tailights with LEDS

gslabbert5119

Ok so now that I know that my wife loves to RV (this is the 2nd unit that we have had over the years) I would like to do some upgrades to the exterior lights.
There has to be a few threads that discuss this however I have been unable to find them.

Rig is a 2013 Bighorn 3685RL

I want to replace the tail lights, running lights and turn signals with LED's
I want to add backup lights and they need to be really bright

and lastly for now I really would like to add a backup camera to the rig.

Thanks again for all of the assistance.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Many here have done what you propose to do and is a pretty easy job.
The tail/stop lights are just plug and play.
Running lights will require a bit of soldering or crimping of wires. With LED's proper polarity is a must.
For the backup lights you will need to run a wire to your trucks backup light circuit. There should be a spare wire in the umbilical cord for you to use. Look at the center terminal. I believe it will be the yellow wire.
Let us know how you project turns out.

Peace
Dave

gslabbert5119

Thanks Dave, any idea which lights folks are using for the round lights in the rear.

Also are they mounting backup lights on the exterior or replacing one of the 2 round lights in the rear with a backup Brake -turnsignal combo and are those even available.

If there are photos of the LED backup lights installation to be had these would be most useful to me.

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
An option to marker lights is the install LED bulbs in place of incandescent, I use Yorkim T-10 bulbs and they are great (from Amazon). You can also buy Combination brake/turn/back-up lights fromplaces like e-trailer.com as well. The backup camera that is very popular is the Furrion Observation Camera. Some rigs come pre-wired, some are pre-wired with the bracket. Mine was neither, I installed myself and picked up power from the center rear marker light. Richheck suggested that and now I have a great camera while towing.

gslabbert5119

Thanks Dave, I will look into Yorkim T-10 bulbs for the running lights.

I would love to see some installs of the Backup - Tail - Turn - Brake light setup

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a link to a Youtube video showing the install of the 4" round tail lights. [LINK]
This is on an equipment trailer rather than an RV but the method is the same.

Peace
Dave

gslabbert5119

Thanks Dave, that is really easy and no issue for me.
I guess what I need to see is what folks did for the backup lights as my rig has 2 by 4" red Brake - Tail - Turn lights on each side, so I wanted to see what was done for the backup lights.

Was a 3rd light which is the backup light added to each side and if so how were they mounted, or did they replace the 2nd Brake - Tail - Turn signal on each side with a backup light

I spend a ton of time as night driving is what I enjoy most, and backing up a 40ft rig between two 18 wheelers at a truckstop on your own in the dark is not a lot of fun hence the backup lights :)

Here is a link to a Youtube video showing the install of the 4" round tail lights. [LINK]
This is on an equipment trailer rather than an RV but the method is the same.

Peace
Dave

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Re: Backup Lights & Replacing tailights with LEDS

Gavin you'll definitely want to make it by to see what I have done for my backup light system. It's awesome it's on my "Project LM 365" tread I'll try and find the link. I also have side perimeter LED lights on the frame front and rear. They all come on and I have a few different ways to turn them on.
1) put it in reverse
2) flip #4 up-fitter switch in the truck
3) flip the switch on my pinbox 7-way box. This work even with truck not hooked up.
I used Ridgid Industry LED defused lense lights for backup light and they really work good.

Hopefully you'll have time to swing by when you come back out and we can check out you power issues and you can get some ideas on what to do when you get it back home.
Make sure you by the LED tail light with the same plug in the back as yours. There are a few different ones out there now.
I have a fer truck parts stores right near me if we have time we could swap them out in about 5 minutes.

We are here off and on so hopefully it will work out to meet up

I think I gave you my number in another post.
Jerrod

Found it https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?p=530862

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk