Landmark Madison Washer/Dryer

billyohe

I purchased a 2017 Madison in October 2017. Fantastic Unit by the way. We are having some serious issues with the rear bedroom. We picked up our unit and took it directly on our annual month long trip. At our first stop 450 miles away, the stackable washer/dryer had completely dislodged from the floor mounts and broke the tub of the washer. The clothes rod in the closet was on the floor of the closet and the lower frame of the tv wood moulding had broken off. Being a retired engineer I attributed the force to the rear of any 5th wheel like that of a Moment Arm. Our previous 3 5th wheels front bedroom did not have the varied components like the bedroom. The dealer repaired the washer/dryer mounts and assured us this would solve the problem. We took it home and in the 4 hour ride home it happened again. What are the solutions that Heartland has come up with to this problem? Our Mobile Suites was strapped to the floor. Have there bee any other owners with the same issues?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have read of another owner with the same problem.
I would opt for a better way of securing the machines.

Peace
Dave

We have the exact same problem. Our first day of travel the clothes rod fell and went through the fake floor of the closet. We fixed this problem and the next day of travel all the clothes fell off the hangers. We have put them back three times. They are on the floor again. The 8th day into our travels the washer and dryer (stackable) were off their mounts and turned almost sideways. We also have a Madison and this is our first time RVing. I will be calling Heartland tomorrow.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can't offer any helpful info, except that we have some rear "Bounce" in our Big Country. Because of this, we are upgrading our trailer's suspension in mid June.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JENDAVE

I purchased a 2017 Madison in October 2017. Fantastic Unit by the way. We are having some serious issues with the rear bedroom. We picked up our unit and took it directly on our annual month long trip. At our first stop 450 miles away, the stackable washer/dryer had completely dislodged from the floor mounts and broke the tub of the washer. The clothes rod in the closet was on the floor of the closet and the lower frame of the tv wood moulding had broken off. Being a retired engineer I attributed the force to the rear of any 5th wheel like that of a Moment Arm. Our previous 3 5th wheels front bedroom did not have the varied components like the bedroom. The dealer repaired the washer/dryer mounts and assured us this would solve the problem. We took it home and in the 4 hour ride home it happened again. What are the solutions that Heartland has come up with to this problem? Our Mobile Suites was strapped to the floor. Have there bee any other owners with the same issues?

We purchased our 2017 Madison last October as well. We purchased it in South Carolina while on vacation in Myrtle Beach. On the trip home to Maine, We had the same exact problem. The nice manager at Camping World in Myrtle Beach told me the picture of my brand new washer looked like I overloaded it. To say the least I was livid, we had the unit about 10 days at this point. After many calls and visits to our local Camping World a district manager was involved and the units were replaced.
My husband installed the new units with a shelf in between and tie downs as back up. As for the closet my very talented husband built a custom closet with cubbies and racks that keep everything snug and secure. He replaced the broken floor with something a little more substantial and stained everything to match, as well as installing LED strip lights in both closets( washer and dryer and clothes) that are run into the light switch. We have towed a shorter distance( about 2 hours) and all was well, not so much as a hanger off the rack. We are headed back to Myrtle Beach next month and will put it to the ultimate test. I assume this was an issue for everyone as Heartland is not offering the Madison floor plan any longer. I love this floor plan it's feels like a home, so I'm hoping we have resolved the issues. It is discouraging to start off with so many issues, but it's our second home, and we love it, so we will try to work through it.

P.S. Dealing with Heartland has been a pleasure, they are very attentive and helpful!

Clark2262

We have a Madison too. Bought it in SC in June while at Myrtle Beach. Same problems with clothes staying on the rod. Can't keep the doors closed either. Finally, we put binder clips on the locks so they can't jump out of the hole.

We do not have a washer/dryer (thankfully) but now I'm concerned about the safe in the cabinet over the bed and that the weight might rip the cabinet off the wall. I think I'll remove it and put it in the storage space under the bed, on the floor.

Searching now for some type of hangers that will not jump/bounce off the rod!

JENDAVE

We have a Madison too. Bought it in SC in June while at Myrtle Beach. Same problems with clothes staying on the rod. Can't keep the doors closed either. Finally, we put binder clips on the locks so they can't jump out of the hole.

We do not have a washer/dryer (thankfully) but now I'm concerned about the safe in the cabinet over the bed and that the weight might rip the cabinet off the wall. I think I'll remove it and put it in the storage space under the bed, on the floor.

Searching now for some type of hangers that will not jump/bounce off the rod!

Clark
We have zero issues with safe, in fact I have yet to open it. Everything in the above bed cabinets is a non issue. It’s the back closets that are the problem. Like I said in an earlier post my husband customized my closet, putting in shelving and hanging rods, but within a confined area. Still have a few hangers that bounce off, but my brilliant husband thinks he can tweak it prevent any hanger loss. The washer and dryer was also treated to custom shelving, so there is no movement within the closet, but that is something that bares watching. I’m not sure any front loading washing machine is built to handle that kind of beating. I’m cautiously optimistic though.

NHCelt

At the very least, I would upgrade your shocks to Bilsteins. I had a little bounce in my Bighorn and put the Monroe gasmatic shocks in. Mine is very solid now, but the Bilsteins would be a better choice with the weight you have in the back. Also a shock absorbing pin box will help to eliminate movement.

Mburtsvt

I see that Heartland mercifully discontinued the Madison. I had mine for 15 month, (4 in the shop) for several of the rear bedroom issues mentioned. Between the washer ending up near the bed to the TV mirror cracking - cloth hangers rod falling out and other things it was just too much. After every trip I cringed going to the bedroom to find another thing wrong. The last thing was the floor in the closet gave way. Heartland was great addressing and fixing the issues, (except for the washer), but at the end of the day it was just too much.

NTXNEWBIES

I see that Heartland mercifully discontinued the Madison. I had mine for 15 month, (4 in the shop) for several of the rear bedroom issues mentioned. Between the washer ending up near the bed to the TV mirror cracking - cloth hangers rod falling out and other things it was just too much. After every trip I cringed going to the bedroom to find another thing wrong. The last thing was the floor in the closet gave way. Heartland was great addressing and fixing the issues, (except for the washer), but at the end of the day it was just too much.
Is there anything Heartland is willing to do like switch out your unit with another floor plan?

Mburtsvt

Is there anything Heartland is willing to do like switch out your unit with another floor plan?

There is no reason for me to believe that Heartland would even consider anything like that. It was best to take the hit and move on. I may look at another RV in the future - but for now I'll lick my wounds and sit on the side lines.

Oldelevatorman

Sorry you had all those problems. We bought a 2017 Newport in March of this year. On the trip home from Phoenix to Sacramento I had several things come apart. Among them was the front closet rod that was full of clothes. The top shelf behind the living room tv. The dining table base from the floor. The bracket holding up the closet rod had 3/4" screws. I put 2" screws in and no more problems. The shelf behind the tv was the same fix. Dealer fixed the table and a couple other small things. Don't have a washer/dryer because that's my closet and we needed the space. Sounds like the folks who attempted to fix the W/D need some more training!

Just got back to our home base with the Madison and took it to our dealer to have the repair work done. On washer and dryer, closet, trim etc
In the back of the 5th wheel. The dealer called wanting to know what we did to the unit. We had a broken axle and springs in the back. We have no idea how that happened other than the washer/dryer having not been secured and it bouncing out of the closet onto the bed hard enough to damage the bedroom slide. Anyone else with similar axle/springs problems?

danemayer

Just got back to our home base with the Madison and took it to our dealer to have the repair work done. On washer and dryer, closet, trim etc
In the back of the 5th wheel. The dealer called wanting to know what we did to the unit. We had a broken axle and springs in the back. We have no idea how that happened other than the washer/dryer having not been secured and it bouncing out of the closet onto the bed hard enough to damage the bedroom slide. Anyone else with similar axle/springs problems?

Do you know what the dealer meant by "broken axle"?

Do you know what the dealer meant by "broken axle"?

No, other than he said he was surprised we could drive it to them. We didn’t feel anything different in driving it. It is still under manufacturer warranty but he wanted to know what we did to it and if we had put tools in the closet. Any suggestions?

danemayer

One way to damage an axle is to hit a serious bump at high speed. That could bend the axle. But I don't know that it would break.

Another possibility is if there were a defect in the springs, causing the spring pack to break or shift. I think a spring failure could lead to consequential axle damage.

If you were significantly overloaded, it's possible that might lead to spring and axle damage. But you'd have to have quite a bit of gear, and maybe full holding tanks.

JENDAVE

Already have the Mor Ryde pinbox, which we loved with our Newmar. This unit has had multiple issues in multiple areas, besides all bounce related issues in the bedroom area. For their top of line, you would not think you’d have to modify suspension or pinboxes, but these are the new “norm” in the RV business. We were spoiled by our Newmar.

JENDAVE

We have had our unit just over a year, so far five months in the shop and counting. We are now hoping to get an appointment at the factory in the spring for roof replacement and tank work. I’m trying to be positive, but it’s getting harder, the payment still comes regardless, and if we are having these issues now, what else will time bring?

One way to damage an axle is to hit a serious bump at high speed. That could bend the axle. But I don't know that it would break.

Another possibility is if there were a defect in the springs, causing the spring pack to break or shift. I think a spring failure could lead to consequential axle damage.

If you were significantly overloaded, it's possible that might lead to spring and axle damage. But you'd have to have quite a bit of gear, and maybe full holding tanks.

We weren’t overloaded and other than hitting some bumps in the road (at no more than 50 mph and normally 45 mph) we didn’t have any accidents or even curb hitting. I am going to call the dealer on Monday to see if I misheard him on the broken axle. Thanks for the feedback