T32, placement of solar controller

We own a Torgue T32 and are very happy with it.
I decided to install solar, I am new to solar, thru several conversations with the dealer, Noteboom RV, and Gary at Heartland, and somebody named Ed (possibly in engineering) we have come to a stall as to what to do. It has been a few weeks now and nobody has stepped up to admit that they made a mistake.

I went to install the controller in the wall and cut where the sticker placement noted. I nearly cut thru my vent pipe and took out bits of a stud. Both of which were mounted directly behind the wall along with all the wires. The distance of the wires was fine but the pipe and the stud is not. The PWM30 controller is roughly 3/4 in deep and the wires connect where the stud is. Needless to say I am not happy about the planning from Heartland that took place here about the sticker placement or the feeling I am going to have "to deal with it" on my own.

Heartland has told me that they do not install solar systems and would have to see a dealer. IF thats the case, who put the sticker there!?!

I do understand that at this point they can not do anything without re-engineering the entire wall or fix what is already done. I did got to my purchasing dealer and advised them to tell the customers purchasing the T30, T31, or T32 to NOT cut a hole in the wall at THAT location. Unless you have plans "to
deal with it"

I would like some type of adapter, wall mount, bracket, mounting system to attach said controller. It is a Go Power system, but they leave all of the install to dealer and/or purchaser. Which by the way Go Power has some great individuals and so far the product(s) have been well built.

I am informing all of those who might not be handy with tools and/or ideas. I would be up for any ideas anybody has to offer to attach/mount to RV interior walls.

Still very much pleased with our purchase and plan on having lots of good times!

Thanks

Clint Potter
Crooks, SD
605-261-7304 cell after 6
800-615-3704 work

schew

We own a Torgue T32 and are very happy with it.
I decided to install solar, I am new to solar, thru several conversations with the dealer, Noteboom RV, and Gary at Heartland, and somebody named Ed (possibly in engineering) we have come to a stall as to what to do. It has been a few weeks now and nobody has stepped up to admit that they made a mistake.

I went to install the controller in the wall and cut where the sticker placement noted. I nearly cut thru my vent pipe and took out bits of a stud. Both of which were mounted directly behind the wall along with all the wires. The distance of the wires was fine but the pipe and the stud is not. The PWM30 controller is roughly 3/4 in deep and the wires connect where the stud is. Needless to say I am not happy about the planning from Heartland that took place here about the sticker placement or the feeling I am going to have "to deal with it" on my own.

Heartland has told me that they do not install solar systems and would have to see a dealer. IF thats the case, who put the sticker there!?!

I do understand that at this point they can not do anything without re-engineering the entire wall or fix what is already done. I did got to my purchasing dealer and advised them to tell the customers purchasing the T30, T31, or T32 to NOT cut a hole in the wall at THAT location. Unless you have plans "to
deal with it"

I would like some type of adapter, wall mount, bracket, mounting system to attach said controller. It is a Go Power system, but they leave all of the install to dealer and/or purchaser. Which by the way Go Power has some great individuals and so far the product(s) have been well built.

I am informing all of those who might not be handy with tools and/or ideas. I would be up for any ideas anybody has to offer to attach/mount to RV interior walls.

Still very much pleased with our purchase and plan on having lots of good times!

Thanks

Clint Potter
Crooks, SD
605-261-7304 cell after 6
800-615-3704 work

Hi there..
We have a Heartland T31 and are in the process of starting our solar install. Purchased two 100 watt panels and a GoPower pvm 30 controller, which sounds like the same one you have. My "cut here" sticker is a few inches above my control panel and using the GoPower supplied template, that's where I cut the hole. I didn't hit any studs and found the solar panel wires right where they should be, but found out two things in the process.
One, the template isn't correct and I needed to enlarge the width by about 5/16" to allow the controller to fit.
Secondly, unfortunately Heartland only pre-installed the solar panel cables, you have to run your own set of cables from the controller to the battery. My battery cutoff switch is on the control panel and I'm wondering if I can simply run a short set of cables to that switch rather than having to run new cables to the battery. If new cables must be run, I'll need to open up the enclosed belly to route them. Oh wells.

As far as your install is concerned, you could make a bezel , cut out the correct opening, stain it to match the interior cabinets screw the controller to the new bezel then screw the bezel into the wall. If done neatly, it will look nice.

Here's a photo I took when I cut into the wall. When I have time I'll a create a post of my install shortly..

20170501_093445.jpg

Schew,

Thanks for the ideas on the mount, I do plan on making something.
As for the battery wire, run the pos to pos side of switch would work, but will need to ground it. You could ground it at the 12v gound bus bar which might be close to the fuse/breaker panel. in 12v systems you want the Pos and Grd sides as close to the same length as possible. having said that for the best efficiency you really should move the battery closer to the controller due to voltage drop.
What type and how many batteries are you using?
All units are different, but mine did have 4 wires tied together and had fallen in the wall. They had fallen in the wall and had to get creative to pull them up and not pull apart.
As for the sticker placement, may only be the T32

schew

Schew,

As for the battery wire, run the pos to pos side of switch would work, but will need to ground it. You could ground it at the 12v gound bus bar which might be close to the fuse/breaker panel. in 12v systems you want the Pos and Grd sides as close to the same length as possible. having said that for the best efficiency you really should move the battery closer to the controller due to voltage drop.
All units are different, but mine did have 4 wires tied together and had fallen in the wall. They had fallen in the wall and had to get creative to pull them up and not pull apart.

So you think it's ok to simple connect to my battery cut off switch? Heartland Rep suggested not to but never said why. I'll call Heartland today with my VIN and see if they can confirm I do not have the battery wires.

As far as batteries go, currently have the Interstate Marine/RV battery that came with the RV. In the near future I will either get another of the same, or upgrade to 2 Trojan T-1275, which were recommended by a very helpful member, OregonCamper. They are quite expensive though.

schew

Schew,

I just spoke to Heartland and they reversed their statement. I should have a 4 wires pre-run. Could you do me a favor and take a picture of your cutout hole as we as your cables???

UPDATE!
After a more extensive probing, I found the wires! Saves me a big headache from having to run them!!!

Last edited: