Heating and Cooling don't work

co4me

We are camping in Texas and the weather has turned cold. Wouldn't you know it - we came home tonight and the Dometic remote contol does not operate at all so no furnace or heat strip. I tried the system override on receiver but nothing. Checked circuit breakers and changed batteries in the remote but still nothing. The A/C won't work either so I am guessing it is the electronic reciever (mounted on ceiling next to A/C vent). I'm going to call a local dealer tomorrow but thought someone out there might have an idea or solution?

Thanks,
Bill
co4me

Last edited:

BigBlue

BigBlue
We woke up this morning with the same problem. I had the problem one time before and was able to get it to work by unplugging the little telephone connector between the receiver and the AC but this time nothing.

nemo45

Have have to tell you that those Dometic thermostats with the remote control are nothing but trouble. Montana is replacing the ones they have in their units with a different manual thermostat. If you go to the Montana owners forum you will see one of the longest threads ever on that subject. I was certainly glad my Open Road did not have the one with the remote on it when I received it. While mine is a digital thermostat it does not have the remote feature. While I don't know if Heartland uses the exact same unit as Montana, if it were me I'd try to get Heartland to replace the whole thermostat unit with the manual one.

Dusty

Mine did that a couple of weeks ago, the 12 volt wire up in the unit, was loose so the remot wouldnt work because the reciever didnt work.

Dusty

co4me

Furnace doesn't work

I already had an appointment for warranty work next week here in Texas where we are staying. I called the service department and they worked with me today so that I didn't have to move the unit with the icy streets. They showed me how to bypass the remote and loaned me a manual thermostat that I wired into the ceiling unit. At least I have heat for now, which we are thankful for with the cold weather, and they will fix the unit next week.

Before the remote quit working I was having problems with the furnace reaching the set point and then cycling on and off continuously on a short cycle. I figured it was the remote but it is still doing it with the manual thermostat - another thing to fix.

Bill
co4me

BigBlue

BigBlue
Finally got ours working by pulling the fuse in the 12V distribution panel. I talked to a dealer and he said you need to reset the electronics in the AC as well as the controller. It worked so we had heat again.

co4me

Hi BigBlue,

I did pull the fuse for the furnace. On any other fuse there is a red light that lights up next to it when it is blown or you pull the fuse. There was nothing with the furnace fuse. Didn't work when I put it back in.

Is that all you had to do - just pull and reinsert the fuse?

Thanks,
Bill
co4me

BigBlue

BigBlue
Yes. After pulling the fuse and putting it back in, I was able to turn on the controller with the remote and it started controlling the furnace. I did have to run the temperature up to about 81 degrees on the remote to get the furnace to turn on the first time but after that it settled down on the right temperature.