Waxing gelcoat. How much product?

firemailwv

I have to do a thorough de oxidizing and wax on my Big Country. First step is oxidation remover, then cleaner wax and finally pure wax. All Meguiars product per the heartland service department. They sent me a flier from the gelcoat manufacturer that specified these steps and these products. When using the oxidation remover and the cleaner wax I am getting a bunch of black coming off and then is getting put back on the coach as I continue to apply. If I don't put a good bit of product on the pad it dries out after just a few wipes.

At this rate I will need 100 Applicators to do just one side.

Am I doing it right? Does anyone have any experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

firemailwv

It seems as if no one looks in this area of the forum. haha. Worth a shot though

Lynn1130

Before you go into a large job with lots of work involved you might want to have someone look at your situation to determine if the oxidation is under the clear coat. If yours, like many of the 2011's has a problem with the gel coat then no amount of work on the clear coat is going to fix that. most all of the 2011's had that problem and like mine, the only fix is a total strip and paint to replace the bad gel coat.

firemailwv

I've had my front cap painted as a result of fading (heartland picked up the bill for that) and my rear cap needs painted, but I'm working on the side walls. I've done a 2x2 section with good results, but the applicators were used up with the black junk coming off after just that small section.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If your pad is drying to quickly then you may need to use more product.
If it's plugging because of the dirt and oxidation then you will need to change or wash your pad frequently.

Peace
Dave