Low propane flow to stove

atckid

I just purchased a new 2017 Mallard M27. On our 1st camping trip I was trying to boil water for noodles for spaghetti. The water never did get to a full rolling boil. I was using a T-Fal aluminum (apx. 3-4 qt.) pot about 2/3 full. I also tried to use a new "portable" grill hooking up to the outside lp access. The grill never got over 220 degrees. Fortunately, I had a small lp canister that I used on the grill and was able to use it. My dealer says there are no leaks or other issues with my propane. We are brand new to camping and just trying to figure things out. Is this "normal" operations in a smaller camper? . Should I contact Heartland if my dealer continues to say nothing is wrong? Thanks in advance for your patience with a newbie.

Harry, Barbara and furbaby "Ebby" Johnson
2017 Mallard M27

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That is not normal as you already know.
When your dealer checked it out do you know if they used a manometer to check gas flow from the regulator?
That would be an important step in diagnosing your problem.
One other thing, did you try switching LP tanks?

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Sounds like you don't have adequate flow and the first time you use the furnace, you'll have a problem there as well. The furnace is the most demanding propane appliance.

Cookie's right. The correct way to test propane flow is with a manometer. It should show 11 Column Inches. If it measures something like 8 or 9, you'll have poor performance or outright failure. If the dealer doesn't have a manometer, they need to buy one instead of guessing.

atckid

Thanks for all the great input.
Just talked to the dealer and they say that the propane "system" checked out fine and that they did a manometer test and the flow was fine. I did not ask for a flow number because they are going to hook up the portable grill and see what it does. They seemed to "imply" that that may just be the way the external lp access is and I'd just have to live with it like that. Is that so? Am I expecting to much from the external lp access? BTW the grill is just a small $89 Smoke Hollow from Home Depot. Assuming the propane system isn't working as it should, how much should I push the dealer to fix it before talking with someone at Heartland? Any recommendations on who I should contact with Heartland? Just FYI, it is a Camping World dealer.

Thanks
Harry and Barbara and "Ebby"

Bones

ok. I want to start simple first to see if we can clear a regulator that might think gas is escaping. I've had this situation before and this is what I do especially when first starting gas appliances. First make sure you have propane and your bottles are full. next disconnect your bottles from the gas supply line. Make sure to turn your bottles off first. After unhooking them and letting the gas line hang, go inside and turn on the stove to empty the gas line trying to light it just to make sure it is empty. Turn the stove off. turn the heater off. turn every gas appliance you have off. Go back to your tanks and hook them up. Turn your selector valve to which ever tank you want to pull from. Slowly open the tank valve. once open and charged fully open it. Go inside and turn on the main burner of the stove trying to light it. Once you have a good flame from the main burner try the other ones. turn them off and now you should have good flow. Try this first and see if it works.

- - - Updated - - -

When I say first starting them I mean after the appliances have sat for awhile with no use and no bottles hooked up to them

Lynn1130

If you are running the grill off of the regulated line from the trailer with a regulator on the grill it is double regulated. I am not sure how well that will work (the dedicated line on the trailer is coming off of the regulated tanks). As I understand it you were also trying to boil water on the stove and had low pressure so my observation may be mute. But for what it is worth. In all honesty if they cannot find anything, they cannot fix it and if you take it somewhere else to have it checked out, be sure that Heartland accepts them as a certified repair place. If they find something wrong, at least you can go back to Heartland to plead your case.

danemayer

I think there have been past discussions about the grill propane connection being after the regulator. Most grills that you use at home, or on the road, have a regulator and expect to be connected directly to a high pressure tank.

If your grill has a regulator, you may have to get a tee that connects to your propane tank, and a hose to run to the grill.

daynawide

You can't run any grill with a regulater on low pressure propane line.You have to have the right grill or know how to convert one.unless you put a tee off the main tank but that kind defeats the purpose of your outside line.I use a camp chef big gas three and can boil three pots at the same time. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoefler

Chances are you tripped the OPD, Overflow Protection Device, when you opened the valves on your propane tanks. You need to open them very slowly so you don't trip the OPD.

Lynn1130

Chances are you tripped the OPD, Overflow Protection Device, when you opened the valves on your propane tanks. You need to open them very slowly so you don't trip the OPD

Wouldn't that shut the gas off totally? He has gas but at very low pressure.

carl.swoyer

Something to try. When you hook up the external stove let it sit for 10 Minutes before you fire it up. This will let the lp line pressurize.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk