Power cord reel

Mrz

My new 2017 BH has an electric power cord reel that really makes life easier. This reel has a switch for extend or retract. I noticed that when I extend or remove the power cord, the reel free wheels and I don't need the switch to extend the cord.
Is this normal or is something wrong?

Lou_and_Bette

Exactly the way mine works. I have found easiest to pull straight out the length you need and then go to the side to hook up. When retracting, I unhook, after turning breaker off, and straighten the cord out, walk half of the cord with the plug end back up to the rig and then start rewinding. This takes some of the strain off the motor, doesn't drag the plug along the ground, and allows me to wipe and guide the cord with one hand while the other hand works the switch.

danemayer

On the newest cord reels, the switch has a "retract" position that pulls the cord in. It also has a "release" position that unlocks the reel to allow freewheeling. The older ones didn't have the "release".

Piperflyer

My 2016 BH you just pull out as much as you need and push the retract button to stow it. Love it.

mlpeloquin

If you do not have a hard wired surge/voltage protector, then you must check the power connections inside the power reel at least once a year. Mine worked loose. One hot and the neutral. I was lucky and did not burn out my equipment, but did cause circuit breakers at the power post to blow. It occurred when I was using both AC's last fall in Needles, CA. I installed one right after this and it saved us from low voltage, less then 105VAC at one RV park earlier this year.

To check the connections, unplug, pull all the cord out from the reel, and open the access hatch.

Mburtsvt

My new 2017 BH has an electric power cord reel that really makes life easier. This reel has a switch for extend or retract. I noticed that when I extend or remove the power cord, the reel free wheels and I don't need the switch to extend the cord.

When you find the instructions it says that its made to release, (or unlock) to use it to plug in and to hold down to retract. Mine is the same way - when I use it to plug in I only hit the release side and pull the cord vs holding it down.

Mrz

When you find the instructions it says that its made to release, (or unlock) to use it to plug in and to hold down to retract. Mine is the same way - when I use it to plug in I only hit the release side and pull the cord vs holding it down.

So you need to depress the release button while unrolling the power cord?

Mburtsvt

So you need to depress the release button while unrolling the power cord?

Just once - don't hold it down. Otherwise you would need two people to operate. One to pull the cord to the plug and one to hold the button down. If you try to hold the release down when you are the only one pulling you can end up wrapping the cord around the reel the wrong way, (lets just say lesson learned). The instructions just say to push the release once to free wheel the reel and pull the cord. To retract you would need to keep the button pushed dow, but you can glide the cord with your other hand.

Mrz

Just once - don't hold it down. Otherwise you would need two people to operate. One to pull the cord to the plug and one to hold the button down. If you try to hold the release down when you are the only one pulling you can end up wrapping the cord around the reel the wrong way, (lets just say lesson learned). The instructions just say to push the release once to free wheel the reel and pull the cord. To retract you would need to keep the button pushed dow, but you can glide the cord with your other hand.
Thanks! That makes sense....

clickers

We also have 2017 BH and only need to depress the extend or retract button once then release

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Yeah well as I mentioned in another power reel post be very careful about freewheeling the cord off the "new" reel with the release button. The reel is chain driven and if you're too aggressive as I was being used to the previous version you could cause the chain to jump off the cogs. That means disassembly from below to reinstall the chain!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk