Huge air bubble on roof

SparkyD

I just had our 1 year warranty work performed 9 days ago at the Heartland RV Service Center in Elkhart, IN. (2017 Road Warrior 425) one item on my list was the formation of air bubbles and wrinkles in my roof membrane, just behind the nose cap. They inspected it, and said it was completely normal, no need for repair. This didn't sit well with me, because they were getting worse with time.

Well, 9 days later in the middle of Nebraska, after towing I see a huge air bubble on the exact same location. I go on the roof to find a bubble 5 feet in diameter, and over 12" high off the roof! It was inflated like a beach ball. It deflated when I touched it, before I could get a picture. 20170505_164811.jpg

I have placed a ratchet strap around the front end to keep the bubble from lifting up while towing. I plan on showing up Monday morning at the Heartland Service Center in Nampa, ID unannounced. (They were closed, Friday Afternoon)

What should I expect them to do for a proper repair? Can they just repair a section of the roof, or does the whole roof membrane have to be replaced? I assume the nose cap has to be removed? Any info or thoughts would be appreciated very much.

donr827

You might have a water leak close by. From what I understand, 8yrs ago, the adhesive is water base and the adhesive will let go if water gets under the membrane. This happened to me awhile back. The repair shop said they could peel the roof back and put down new adhesive but better to replace the whole roof.
Don

wehavefun

My Bighorn just got repaired from the exact issue. Built December 2016 discovered issue April 2017, huge bubble just like yours. My dealer Wilkins RV in Bath, NY and Heartland were great! It was covered under warranty even though it was a couple of months beyond. I had also caulked my roof a couple of times and had the dates I had done the re caulking. My dealer pulled the membrane back to front air conditioner and reglued it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

SparkyD. What was the final outcome with your roof bubbles. We have a brand new Bighorn with large roof bubbles from front to back all along the door side of our fifth wheel. The service writer at the dealership told us that was normal and we strongly disagree. He said it would be a major repair to correct the problem. We have some other issues as well.

Bones

I had a huge air bubble appear on my roof earlier this year. there is speculation that the glue was not applied correctly and over time it came loose. There is also speculation that air could have gotten up there and with weak glue it just worked its way until you have a large bubble.