Is the shower supposed to be sealed?

atckid

We just got our 2017 Mallard M27. I noticed that the shower "insert" is not caulked or sealed around the edges in any way. The wallpaper appears to be water proof or at least water resistant. My concern is moisture getting behind the "insert" and ending up with a mold problem. Am I over thinking this? Is the insert supposed to be caulked/sealed around the edges? If not by the manufacturer, would you recommend making this a dyi project?
Thanks

Harry, Barbara and "Ebby"
Hickory, NC

:confused:

Power247

Ours is not sealed either. I was told it was designed that way. I sealed the last 6 inches with silicone for peace of mind anyway.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

MP_CS

My sundance isn't sealed and ive never had any issues going on four years now.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Sealing the glass shower surround was a problem with the Neo-Angle shower stalls. They drilled holes in the fiberglass to mount the glass and then did a half-axe job of caulking under it. So folks had water running under and out. Those with that type of shower generally caulked around the entire inside perimeter of it with clear silicone. Did mine back in 2009 and it's been fine.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We just got our 2017 Mallard M27. I noticed that the shower "insert" is not caulked or sealed around the edges in any way. The wallpaper appears to be water proof or at least water resistant. My concern is moisture getting behind the "insert" and ending up with a mold problem. Am I over thinking this? Is the insert supposed to be caulked/sealed around the edges? If not by the manufacturer, would you recommend making this a dyi project?
Thanks

Harry, Barbara and "Ebby"
Hickory, NC

:confused:

Are you speaking about the shower "surround" that is up against the wall? Our 2010 ElkRidge was not, owned nearly 6 years, it was not sealed. We didn't have any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

I recently noticed that our across the top of our enclosure wasnt sealed either. Wonder if they didnt seal on purpose, as the walls around the enclosure might "move" a lot when the rig is going down the road? I sealed mine with RTV anyway. Some spray while taking a shower does end up on that upper ledge.

Kinguni

It's not sealed for a couple of reasons. #1 is that the insert expands and contracts with changing temperatures. #2 is that if any moisture does get back there it needs to be able to escape or you will get mold problems. The tub has a lip behind the shower insert to keep water from getting behind the tub. Do not caulk this area either. We were actually told all of this by our dealer when we took delivery.