Landing Gear Issue

ptillett

:) Man, one of my landing gear legs was not acting right. It did not move when the other moved. Then, We shook on it and it fell! Now, it not attached at all. Wow.

I don't see how you can get to anything to see if a bolt came loose. I read a lot on pins and bolts coming loose on this forum. Any suggestions? It is under warranty. I have a call into the dealer. It would be nice to fix the issue right here vs. taking it all the way to the dealer (with the price of fuel).

Thanks in advance!

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Check the square tube that attaches to the motor on one end and the gear on the other. There is a bolt on each end , check to see if the nut didn't come off and the bolt came out. .....Kenny

sharmulst

We had the bolt that couples the shaft to the right, front landing gear come off today when setting up at Copalis Beach RV park. The lock nut had come loose. It was an easy fix, but something else to remember to check.

ptillett

We ended up taking it back to the dealer. It was a sheared pin that they couldn't have gotten too either. So, I didn't feel so bad (or ignorant!). :)

They replaced the leg within the hour. Great service.

Taught me a lesson though. At least that happened in the driveway. What if we had been out on a trip? We could not have gotten the 5ver off the truck. The dealer showed us where we could have jacked the coach. I thinking spare 2 ton jack might be in order. At least you could finish your camping trip and then worry about getting it to a repair facility.

And, my dealer said all the landing gear are made by the same company. So, it is definitely not a heartland issue. It is just like anything else, trying to make a buck and get by.

fishn2dmax

After reading this thread, I decided to check my landing gear and shafts for loose nuts. Well I found a nut missing on the right side transfer shaft. The shaft bolt was about to come out when I found it. I found the nut in the bottom of the pan and put it back on with loc-tite. I checked the left side nut and it was loose as well. I highly advise everyone check theirs. Based on the way the bolts are fastened, it will be just a matter of time when everyone will experience a problem, if the bolts and nuts are not checked.

Last edited: