MCD shade solution needed

Hi all! The side curtains on our BH windows are shorter than the window length and when we roll the shades up and down the plastic end caps on the shades get stuck on the metal curtain holders and pop off. Heartland has reinstalled several caps for us but I was wondering if anyone has a mod that helps. I'm thinking of just taking the dang curtains off but that will leave holes in the wall from where the metal holders are screwed in?
BTW...love how the shades block light and provide privacy 😀

danemayer

It would be very helpful if you could post a picture that shows the entire window and shade, and a closer shot that shows the area where the problem occurs.

Sorry, I hope you can see them okay. The living/dining/hallway area is the only place with curtains and shades. The curtains are installed at varying lengths on each window, some of which have screw knobs to open, which complicates pulling the shades down all the way. The picture of the metal curtain holder shows that it is u shaped and screwed into the wall.

Attachments

• 1494171835724-1773056952.jpg
    1494171835724-1773056952.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20170507_113503.jpg
    IMG_20170507_113503.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20170507_113259.jpg
    IMG_20170507_113259.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20170507_113331.jpg
    IMG_20170507_113331.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_20170507_115250.jpg
    IMG_20170507_115250.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20170507_113526.jpg
    IMG_20170507_113526.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited by a moderator:

RoadJunkie

We have the same problem and I just be sure to push the shade rod towards the wall until it clears. I noticed the side valance was too short at the Vegas rally; Apparently the victim of a, oh, looks like, 15% budget cut for window dressing. :confused:

Moandnick

I took a pair of pliers and squeezed the bottom of the metal tang closed so it did not stick out as far as it did toward the window.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

travlingman

Can you bend the holder out so the shade will pass? If you can't bend, how about shimming behind the holder so it sticks out more from the wall and lets the shade pass.

Moandnick

They bend easy if you shim them then you would have a problem with the section that mounts to the wall would hit the shade the same way the front does. But just by squeezing the end closed it helps a lot on the blind hitting the bracket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

VKTalley

Hi all! The side curtains on our BH windows are shorter than the window length and when we roll the shades up and down the plastic end caps on the shades get stuck on the metal curtain holders and pop off. Heartland has reinstalled several caps for us but I was wondering if anyone has a mod that helps. I'm thinking of just taking the dang curtains off but that will leave holes in the wall from where the metal holders are screwed in?
BTW...love how the shades block light and provide privacy 😀

Due to my dislike of the side curtains, we have removed most all of them and will be removing the rest soon. They are a pain when raising the shades up and down. The holes are not too noticeable. 😊

SNOKING

I dab or two of welders glue or boot glue is on my list of things to do on each end cap.

esscobra

Same sides as mine- I have not had and ends come off though- and just have to use care raising and lowering- I am going to replace fabric sides with darker and longer one- or replace with covered wood panels on sides to match the tops

Thanks for the info and ideas. My thought was to get rid of the curtains all together but maybe replacing them with longer ones will work. Depends on how much patience my DH will have with me making sure they look good 😉

paulh

Thanks for the info and ideas. My thought was to get rid of the curtains all together but maybe replacing them with longer ones will work. Depends on how much patience my DH will have with me making sure they look good 😉

Here's what we did and it works great for total privacy. Just an idea - hope it helps.

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 36
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 31
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 35
  • #4.jpg
    #4.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 30
  • #5.jpg
    #5.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 31
  • #6.jpg
    #6.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 29
  • #7.jpg
    #7.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 28

esscobra

We were sitting discussing this past weekend on doing same with wood or just using longer fabric panels with a darker and less transparent material