Hydraulic Fluid or Battery issue

crussian

Opened up my front cargo area. I was going to inspect the batteries and make sure the hydraulic fluids were okay. Here is what I found. It appears to be leakage from either the reservoir or battery case. I honestly can't see where its' from. The hoses don't appear or feel oily and I haven't opened the battery box. Just wondered if anyone else has seen this?

Thanks in advance.

C&J

Attachments

• 20170507_120311.jpg
    20170507_120311.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 68

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Rub a paper towel over it. If it's red, it's hydraulic fluid. I get a little seepage from a fitting in my pump area that collects on the lip of the battery box below it. Not enough to be a problem, just something to check periodically.

If it's in your front compartment, it could be water intrusion if you've been driving in rain/wet areas. The bottom of the battery box has a hole open to the outside in addition to the vent hose on top. I notice in your photo that there is also a gap between the floor pan and the front frame. Water can get splashed up there, too. Some expanding foam will close that up.

crussian

Rub a paper towel over it. If it's red, it's hydraulic fluid. I get a little seepage from a fitting in my pump area that collects on the lip of the battery box below it. Not enough to be a problem, just something to check periodically.

If it's in your front compartment, it could be water intrusion if you've been driving in rain/wet areas. The bottom of the battery box has a hole open to the outside in addition to the vent hose on top. I notice in your photo that there is also a gap between the floor pan and the front frame. Water can get splashed up there, too. Some expanding foam will close that up.

Okay, will take a paper towel out there now. My fluid is not red though. The reservoir tank I was referring to is this one. I also notice that there is a clear line impression on the tank and the level of the fluid is below that. I've looked at my Lippert manual but didn't see anything that explained that tank. Could be just me.

C&J

Attachments

• 20170507_120348.jpg
    20170507_120348.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 46

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Okay, will take a paper towel out there now. My fluid is not red though. The reservoir tank I was referring to is this one. I also notice that there is a clear line impression on the tank and the level of the fluid is below that. I've looked at my Lippert manual but didn't see anything that explained that tank. Could be just me.

C&J

The tank will look "low" when the jacks are extended, when all legs are up the tank is full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crussian

The tank will look "low" when the jacks are extended, when all legs are up the tank is full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whew, that makes sense. Thanks for the reply. Eases my mind. The paper towel came back dirty black and grimy. Not sure what that means but I'll keep my eye on it.

Thanks again all.

C&J

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

C&J

In olden times (like when mine was built), they used transmission fluid in the hydraulic system, hence the red color. My reservoir is a bit different, too. Early on, I marked the levels with slides in and out, and the level hasn't changed more than a fraction of an inch. Also labeled the slide valves so I can select a specific one when necessary. I'll even run them all out separately from the compartment rather than sequentially from inside the rig. Put my battery switch in there, too.

Attachments

• Hydraulic Pump.JPG
    Hydraulic Pump.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 45
  • valve labels.jpg
    valve labels.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Battery Switch.jpg
    Battery Switch.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 39

crussian

In olden times (like when mine was built), they used transmission fluid in the hydraulic system, hence the red color. My reservoir is a bit different, too. Early on, I marked the levels with slides in and out, and the level hasn't changed more than a fraction of an inch. Also labeled the slide valves so I can select a specific one when necessary. I'll even run them all out separately from the compartment rather than sequentially from inside the rig. Put my battery switch in there, too.

Awesome idea. I think I will adopt that one. Thanks again.

C&J