Gfci tripping

MP_CS

So started having this weird problem where the gfci trips randomly. I can plug in something one time and it trips then try again and it wont. It does it on multiple gfci protected outlets so I believe its related to the main gfci outlet. I can plug in my outlet tester and it will never trip but then i plug in a device and it does it again. Thoughts?

danemayer

Take a voltage reading on several outlets, including the GFCI outlet.

The voltage between hot and neutral pins, as shown in the attached drawing, should be almost the same as the reading between hot and ground pins. There should not be more than 0.1 or so between the neutral and ground pins.

If those readings show voltage leaking to ground (more than 0.1V difference), that's what's causing the intermittent trip and you'll need to find out where the current is leaking.

If ok, you may need to check the wiring on the back of the GFCI outlet. If that looks good, I would replace the outlet.

Attachments

• grounded outlet.jpg
    grounded outlet.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 23

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Like everything else there are faulty products. I would just install a new GFI.

Peace
Dave

MP_CS

I will take the reading and see but for the nominal cost of the gfci outlet I'll probably just replace it anyways. Thanks for the prompt replys

alexb2000

While I agree those cheap GFCI's go out all the time, there is also another possibility they are doing as they are designed to do.

Is there any water, rain, dampness, anywhere near the circuit?

Extension cords plugged in that could be damaged?

Appliances often trip GFCI's, especially some refrigerators/freezers?

I guess the simplest way to ask is what load is on the circuit? Meaning the entire circuit even though the GFCI is one outlet they are daisy chained.

MP_CS

Everything is completely dry and there is nothing plugged into any of the outlets until it needed ie toaster, coffee pot, etc.. The gfci protected outlets will randomly trip the main gfci when any number of random things are plugged in, try it ten minutes later and it may work, try a different outlet and it may trip using same appliance, or device. It doesn't seem to mayter if its a toaster or a laptop computer charger.

alexb2000

Everything is completely dry and there is nothing plugged into any of the outlets until it needed ie toaster, coffee pot, etc.. The gfci protected outlets will randomly trip the main gfci when any number of random things are plugged in, try it ten minutes later and it may work, try a different outlet and it may trip using same appliance, or device. It doesn't seem to mayter if its a toaster or a laptop computer charger.

Sounds like you need a new GFCI, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something else.

SHerrick

Did this happen since you have been at one location or has it happened in different campsites? I ask, because sometimes the incoming voltage will fluctuate and that will create an overcurrent condition when voltage dips low (P=I X E so P/E = I with P constant, division by a smaller E gives you a higher I).

Sounds like you need a new GFCI, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something else.

MP_CS

Did this happen since you have been at one location or has it happened in different campsites? I ask, because sometimes the incoming voltage will fluctuate and that will create an overcurrent condition when voltage dips low (P=I X E so P/E = I with P constant, division by a smaller E gives you a higher I).

It happens at various locations. I'm going to pick up a new gfci and see if it stops.

I have a Bighorn 3970RD 2017, on my first trip the GFCI outlet located on the bathroom trips and can be reset, this GFCI outlet control one outlet on the kitchen and two outlets outside the coach. I tad may be the GFCI outlet is bad so I replace this GFCI outlet and still the problem, also I disconnect the 50 amp cable and turn down and up all the switches but still the same problem the GFCI outlet don't reset.
What else I can check?

wdk450

Supply overcurrents, undercurrents, and voltage transients should not affect a normally functioning GFCI device. It should trip when it senses an IMBALANCE in the measured current between the Hot and Neutral wires feeding an electrical load. An imbalance is assumed to be "leakage" current electrically shocking a person, and the power is cut off in milliseconds when such a condition is sensed.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device and be sure to read the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs.

BTW, if you are interested in tech history like me, there is a section in the Wikipedia article describing the first invention of GFCI like devices in 1958 to prevent workers in South African gold mines from being electrocuted, and then moving some of this protection to the mine workers villages.

Last edited:

Roller4tan

I have a Bighorn 3970RD 2017, on my first trip the GFCI outlet located on the bathroom trips and can be reset, this GFCI outlet control one outlet on the kitchen and two outlets outside the coach. I tad may be the GFCI outlet is bad so I replace this GFCI outlet and still the problem, also I disconnect the 50 amp cable and turn down and up all the switches but still the same problem the GFCI outlet don't reset.
What else I can check?

The GFCI must have power to the line side to reset. Check the breaker feeding the circuit , if okay check for voltage on the back of the outlet line in wires.