Please Give Me Your Opinions!

DallasFull-Timer

Hey everyone!

Look at my signature, and sympathize with me...
biggrin.png

So I'm looking at a Cummins truck, and I've already test driven it. It's a single owner truck, offered on consignment so the dealer knows the old fella personally, and it has a very gentle history. It shifts smoothly, everything works, and even the AC blows ice cold. No trouble codes or anything. It has six brand new Michelin tires, as well.

They've agreed to give me my asking of $8,000 in trade on the truck in my sig, and my note on the remainder would be under $200/mo. I'd like to know everyone's opinion on the capability of this truck with regards to towing my 2016 Elkridge 38RSRT. Will this truck safely suffice? I mean, I've seen hotshot drivers towing 30,000lbs with this model truck; however, I know it's not actually rated for such. Any and all input is appreciated!

Here's the link:

[url]http://www.texasfrontlinetrucks.com/vehicle/used-2003-dodge-ram-3500-quad-cab-slt-2597321.cfml?refby=dealersite#ar_top

[/URL]

SNOKING

Here is a link that talks about the two different transmissions that could be in a 2003 RAM. The issue is has the tranny been rebuilt yet? The other issue is lack of exhaust brake on that vintage RAM/Cummins if you tow in the mountains. Diesels do not hold back much on downhills without an exhaust brake.

That might be over priced for a 2 wheel drive truck. Then again if they are giving you a really good trade in, maybe they are accounting for that.

Chris

firemailwv

Is it a Standard output truck or a H/O? Makes a difference. The S/O trucks came with the 47re and the H/O came with the 48re.

The S/O was rated at 460 tq. The H/O trucks rated at 555 tq.

I had a standard output. The engine tag under the hood will tell you the specs.

The truck and engine will pull your camper but you will want to upgrade with a tuner and at least a billet converter and valve body.

That was my experience at least

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DallasFull-Timer

Guys,

It has the HO Cummins, so 305hp/555tq, and the 48RE trans.

SNOKING:

You forgot to post the link, brother!

Thanks for the replies fellas!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Do you know what the tow rating is on that year truck. Ram was notoriously low in their towing specs, as well as payloads, backs in the 2000s year models. We have the sister floorplan to your ElkRidge. Same length and weight. Only the 1/2 bath instead of you 2nd full bath like yours. We are right around 15k loaded for weeklong trips. Our 2007 with 3:73 ratio was getting close to the limits. We were fine on payload, just pushing the upper portion of the tow rating.

That at being said, the truck did excellent. No complaints. It was the first year of the 6.7 Cummins so it had the exhaust break (adjustable vane turbo brake type thingy). Maybe they make an aftermarket for the 5.9.

Excellent Truck. 5.9 Excellent. Good Luck.

DallasFull-Timer

Do you know what the tow rating is on that year truck. Ram was notoriously low in their towing specs, as well as payloads, backs in the 2000s year models. We have the sister floorplan to your ElkRidge. Same length and weight. Only the 1/2 bath instead of you 2nd full bath like yours. We are right around 15k loaded for weeklong trips. Our 2007 with 3:73 ratio was getting close to the limits. We were fine on payload, just pushing the upper portion of the tow rating.

That at being said, the truck did excellent. No complaints. It was the first year of the 6.7 Cummins so it had the exhaust break (adjustable vane turbo brake type thingy). Maybe they make an aftermarket for the 5.9.

Excellent Truck. 5.9 Excellent. Good Luck.

Thank you JWalker, I'm actually joining cumminsforum.com now to get additional input. I'm thinking this truck is "the one."

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
The truck handled the ElkRidge nicely. I did add a set of AirLift air bags to help keep the rear of the truck level. Ours was 4wd so your set up will be different.

TxRoadWarrior362

I'd be a little scared of the mileage. Remember that the motor will go a long time, but....all the components attached and related still have high mileage. Differential, a/c evaporator, condenser, compressor, transmission, ps pump, rotors, calipers, and sensors. Not to mention the injection pump. I would feel better if paying cash and having that $200/month set aside in a maintenance account for items that need attention. Just my opinion. Not trying to be a kill joy.

DallasFull-Timer

What's not good?

There isn't any tweaking in that calculator this gives this truck a passing result.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be a little scared of the mileage. Remember that the motor will go a long time, but....all the components attached and related still have high mileage. Differential, a/c evaporator, condenser, compressor, transmission, ps pump, rotors, calipers, and sensors. Not to mention the injection pump. I would feel better if paying cash and having that $200/month set aside in a maintenance account for items that need attention. Just my opinion. Not trying to be a kill joy.

I certainly understand your position and appreciate your opinion! I wish I did have that kinda cash available.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There isn't any tweaking in that calculator this gives this truck a passing result.

- - - Updated - - -

I certainly understand your position and appreciate your opinion! I wish I did have that kinda cash available.

Sorry to hear that, but sounds like it's better to know before you buy. Dave Gray, the inventor of RVTowCheck, is a Heartland owner.

Every time I see someone ask if this truck will tow, I refer them to his website.

We want our fellow Heartland Owners and future owners to be safe towing. :)

TxRoadWarrior362

- - - Updated - - -

I had my automotive shop for seven years. We had the conversation with my customers over the years. I just want you to be informed. Plan on additional cost to repair the items I've mentioned and prepare if you plan to move forward. Not saying they will fail, but the odds are against you with that mileage. Plan accordingly and all will be well.

DallasFull-Timer

I had my automotive shop for seven years. We had the conversation with my customers over the years. I just want you to be informed. Plan on additional cost to repair the items I've mentioned and prepare if you plan to move forward. Not saying they will fail, but the odds are against you with that mileage. Plan accordingly and all will be well.

Thanks RoadWarrior!