Upgrading Changing LED Light Strip in Awning

fastcarsspeed

Hello all new to the forum and have a new to me 2014 4100 HD. It came with everything but of course there are some items that need to be fixed and I would like to upgrade at the same time. The led light strips in the awning have failed in the main one and only some light up in the garage awning. I wanted to know if anyone here has upgraded to color change LED Strips in the awnings?

LBR

Hello all new to the forum and have a new to me 2014 4100 HD. It came with everything but of course there are some items that need to be fixed and I would like to upgrade at the same time. The led light strips in the awning have failed in the main one and only some light up in the garage awning. I wanted to know if anyone here has upgraded to color change LED Strips in the awnings?
I believe all color changing strips still use 4 wires like several years ago, whereas the white only use 2. If you still decide to go with color, a remote receiver could be attached close to the LED strip plugin and still utilize a 2 wire, 12 volt supply to said receiver.

IMO it wouldn't be a successful upgrade unless you are willing to hook it up manually after extending the awning and unhooking before retracting......it would tend to be a PITA for myself just for the color changing lights....JMO.

fastcarsspeed

Yes I agree. I purchased a new strip in Soft Whitle 3000k range to see how these look. The cost compared to Carefree is way less expensive. I didn't want to go the route of rewiring for 4 wire after doing my research but may give that a try if I don't like these.

fastcarsspeed

So I ordered a replacement strip from Amazon for 11.00. Other than a couple led's that did not light which I think is my fault for pressing too hard or pulling too hard it works great for the price.

Attachments

• IMG_20170514_194450.jpg
    IMG_20170514_194450.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 107

pcardoza

I have the exact same issue with the awning lights. Front set is all but dead. Rear set has multiple LED's out.

I just ordered new weatherproof strips from SuperBightLED.com. My plan is to stick them to the side of the RV, just under the awning, so we can have light with the awning open or closed.

If my LED strips broke down, I just threw out the old ones and bought new ones. They are very cheap on Amazon. While I was looking for a new LED strip for the garage, I came across an LED smart bulb that shines in any colour and can be controlled by software from the phone. I think I'll get a couple of such bulbs into my house. I really want to see how they work. If someone has had experience with similar LED bulbs, then write to me about whether it is worth buying them or not. I would be grateful. As for your question, I hope I have a clear answer.

Last edited: