Coax Cable Problems

RoadJunkie

Coax Cable Problems--SOLVED

I think the nature of running and testing coax cables for television in (at least) our Bighorn is problematic. Since they are not as easy to test during post production I don't believe they get enough attention. I mean, do they test each coax output/connection for general integrity? At the very least, all coax connections should be tested for end-to-end continuity and against the possibility of shorts for each cable run. I have included a picture of a short (expand pic) that I discovered during trying to connect my satellite system. I thought I was home free, but there is another short between the UDC and the living room outlet.

Has anyone ever had this type of issue where they had a pinch point causing a short in the coax? Or, has anyone ever had to run a new coax from the UDC to the inside connection area?

IMG_0026.jpg

My problem has been solved: As mentioned by oldelmer1, there is a coupling just behind the frame where the coax passes into the belly. One of the cable connections looked identical to the picture above and there were two shorts on the same coaxial cable. Screw terminations at the coupling was also way loose and would have certainly been a curious failure in the future. Thanks for the clues to run this problem down.

Last edited:

oldelmer1

I was having problems with my living room TV, after tracing the cable back down the underside of the living room slide, I found a coupling just inside the frame. When I pulled on the cable to pull the coupling through the hole, it came out, but them fell apart.

Luckily I have the tools to re-crimp the ends back on.

So I went and replaced every end I could find. Its the best thing to do.......

rxbristol

I was having problems with my living room TV, after tracing the cable back down the underside of the living room slide, I found a coupling just inside the frame. When I pulled on the cable to pull the coupling through the hole, it came out, but them fell apart.

Very, very common. Dave Tyler, at a recent rally, fixed three rigs that were having coax problems by tightening this coupling.

RoadJunkie

You say there is a coupling just prior to the cable entering the underbelly? It looks to me like the cable come down from the slide into a plastic conduit and the disappears into the underbelly.

oldelmer1

Yes, it comes down from the slide, into the black conduit, but then there is a hole in the frame where the coax passes thru.

But this coupling was just inside the underbelly, when I pulled it out thru the hole is when the cable end came off.

At least this is the way it is on mine.