RV Toolbox

cos

Hi All,

I have been RVing for about a year with my 5er. Im just wondering what standard tools all of you carry in your toolbox? The unit won't be new forever and i think i have most bases covered. Just want to know if I'm missing something

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redevil

I'm interested as well what others pack in their tool box. Thought about one of those multi-piece tool set just to have the basics.

danemayer

You'll probably get more useful answers if you describe how you use the trailer.

Full-time? Three-month trips? One week trips? Three day weekends?

How far do you travel?

Also would be good to know where you camp. Way out in the sticks where repair service will be difficult to get? At RV resorts where mobile service is available?

Depending on how you answer, you may get different recommendations on tools to carry.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
For tools I carry a set of both SAE and Metrec impact sockets, sets of open end/box wrenches, screwdrivers, pry bar, 24" breaker bar, hack saw, PEX cutter and crimping tool, along with an assortment of PEX fittings and PEX tubing, an assortment of electrical crimp fittings along with a crimper, RG6 coax along with a stripper, crimping tool and F-connectors, pipe wrench, Cresent wrench, large channel lock, a couple check valves, battery charger, beer, compressor, hose, hatchet, 3 pound hammer, 2 bottle jacks, cordless impact wrench, torque wrench and more that I have forgotten.
Also what I consider tools are parts to do the job. So some of what I carry are 7k spring pack, extra shackles and bolts, a spring hanger (no welder though), LP regulator pigtail, caulk gun, ladder, miscellaneous plumbing parts, water pump, Eternabond, Rescue Tape, beer, grease gun, Multimeter, spare fuses, an assortment of screws, spare 12 volt breakers, pipe dope, teflon tape and more junk that I can't remember.
And if I don't have something I will go to Jon H. (jnbhobe)

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

Gee Dave I don't have all that suspension stuff but I have IS. But I do have some other stuff like Disc brake Parts and fittings, seals and bearings and other stuff I forgot LOL

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Add a cordless drill along with square drive bits and extra screws.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MP_CS

For tools I carry a set of both SAE and Metrec impact sockets, sets of open end/box wrenches, screwdrivers, pry bar, 24" breaker bar, hack saw, PEX cutter and crimping tool, along with an assortment of PEX fittings and PEX tubing, an assortment of electrical crimp fittings along with a crimper, RG6 coax along with a stripper, crimping tool and F-connectors, pipe wrench, Cresent wrench, large channel lock, a couple check valves, battery charger, beer, compressor, hose, hatchet, 3 pound hammer, 2 bottle jacks, cordless impact wrench, torque wrench and more that I have forgotten.
Also what I consider tools are parts to do the job. So some of what I carry are 7k spring pack, extra shackles and bolts, a spring hanger (no welder though), LP regulator pigtail, caulk gun, ladder, miscellaneous plumbing parts, water pump, Eternabond, Rescue Tape, beer, grease gun, Multimeter, spare fuses, an assortment of screws, spare 12 volt breakers, pipe dope, teflon tape and more junk that I can't remember.
And if I don't have something I will go to Jon H. (jnbhobe)

Peace
Dave

Nope he didn't forget it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I just grab my tool boxes from home and toss them in the basement along with my cordless drill, both batteries and charger.

I used to bring my cordless sawzall . . .

But since we can't have camp fires in most places I don't bother to bring that or firewood anymore.

I also have a few essential tools in the bottom drawer of the kitchen island, plus I leave a socket wrench with the right size socket to fit the anode rod on the water heater, the special wrench to fit the scissor jacks and scissor chocks, and an opened end wrench that fit the coax cable for park cable tv connection right inside the cubby hole next to the water and TV connections, and a four-way and breaker bar in case I need to change a tire on the fly.

SLO

One thing I carry is a couple of extra hydraulic hoses. I've had trouble with the hoses so now I carry spares. (disclaimer: If you don't have hydraulic slides or landing gear, you don't need these. )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
This is definitely the most used thing in my tool kit. You'll also want a multi-meter

I carry too much to list, but that's just me !!! And I still find things I need.

A list of what I carry would be surprising to many. But as a full timer, I carry all tools that I own. Cordless Circular Saw, Brad Nailer, Power Stapler, Air Grease Gun, Cordless Caulk Gun just to name a few!

JohnD

A few things I forgot to mention . . .

A 110/12 volt air compressor and a square head screwdriver for those RV screws.

Also, an assortment of bungee cords, a retractable awning hook (we now now have an electric awning, but ask pokiejoe how we used it to flip out the rubber slide seals on his Landmark down at the Alto NM HOC Rally last week), a variety of C-clamps, a roll of Gorilla tape, super glue, plumbers tape, a couple of tape measures, a coax crimping tool and hardware.

rxbristol

A nice tool set that has most sockets and wrenches is from Harbor Freight...over 300 tools in one box for about $199 when it's on sale. Granted, I have a selection of power tools and extra odds and ends that are not in the tool kit (vice grips, drill bits, etc.).

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a large number of plastic shoeboxes full of "stuff we might need" for rv fixes. Most of it small, parts of stuff we've fixed etc. bits of plumbing related in one bin. Bits of electrical related in another. Tapes of various kinds in another. Batteries. Fasteners in another (screws, bolts, nails, etc.) Adhesives in another. RV repair stuff in another. (Like shackles, bolts, little specifically rv parts). Things like paint brushes, steel wool, c clamps, little pieces of wood, furniture touchup stain pens, etc. can be found in those bins. I got into 3 of them for projects today!

Now Tony has a toolbox in the basement and another large tote of other tools. But the "small stuff" I keep organized inside. ;)

Aandaar

I just carry five cases of beer and two able hands to be the gofer.

JohnD

I just carry five cases of beer and two able hands to be the gofer.

And if you are at an HOC Rally, you only need one tool . . . maybe a screwdriver or an open end wrench . . . well, and the beer, too! :eek:

Then all you have to do is stand if front of your trailer rubbing your chin and all the other guys will show up with their tool boxes and help you figure out your issues! :cool:

Aandaar

And if you are at an HOC Rally, you only need one tool . . . maybe a screwdriver or an open end wrench . . . well, and the beer, too! :eek:

Then all you have to do is stand if front of your trailer rubbing your chin and all the other guys will show up with their tool boxes and help you figure out your issues! :cool:

Soooooo Spot on!