Request for information on 3914

brnewsom

I am a prospective buyer and I really like the 3914 floor plan!

The actual length of this model is missing on the floor plan page. Could you tell me how long it is? Is there or will there be an option for a 10 or 12 foot garage with this model? I have never pulled a 5th wheel before and since I really don't need 14 ft in the garage area, shorter would be better.

Also, the 3914 gallery pics don't show the bathroom, and I was curious about the shower as it looks different in the other Cyclone floor plans. Is there another Heartland model on your site that has a similar bath?

Finally, I am interested in the patio door option, but we will be moving from place to place quite a bit with our 5th wheel. I would like to know if a patio door would be advisable for us.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

G

gregd

The unit is just over 40ft with a regular hitch with the extended hitch it is just over 41ft. The unit is under 400 square ft. We do not offer this model in a shorter garage. If you go on line we do have 10, 12 and 14ft models.

Bathroom shower is a one piece though a little different than all the others.

The Patio slider is an option and if we felt there would be any issues we would have not made it an option. You should be fine.

We are hearing lots of horror stories about pulling this unit. We have an 08 Dodge Ram 1 Ton Diesel will we be ok? We heard 2 units were taken back by a dealer in California because their trucks would not pull the units and they were told they would. One truck was a dually and the other a 1 ton. We are concerened now about pulling this unit. Any insite or advice?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Heidi. I can try to give you some insight from the perspective of being an owner. Looking at the weights on the 3914 as most of the larger toy haulers it has a GVWR OF 18.000# and a hitch weight of 3,000#. Once you get that baby loaded up there is an excellent chance that you'll be over the capacity of a 1 ton truck. Can you pull it? Probably very well. Can you stop it? That will be something you'll have to consider. We have a 3500 Chevy and a trailer 4,000# lighter. I'm well within my trucks capacities but I try to be very careful to stay out situations that require me to come to a panic stop. You should get some responses from other Cyclone owners. Keep in mind, Heartland is a great company and supports it's Heartland Family. Travel Safe!

Orkegler

We have a 3912 and pull it with a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab Diesel 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins. I put on some air bags and it pulls just fine, I usually carry three quads in the back. You have to take it slow around corners and coming up to lights. But going through the mountains I easily pull it up at 45mph. Just make sure you get a good brake controller. Hope this helps. Tinman

We have a 3912 and pull it with a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab Diesel 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins. I put on some air bags and it pulls just fine, I usually carry three quads in the back. You have to take it slow around corners and coming up to lights. But going through the mountains I easily pull it up at 45mph. Just make sure you get a good brake controller. Hope this helps. Tinman

That's what we were worrying about the most was the stopping. Are you able to stop ok or is it a little scary?

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
That's what we were worrying about the most was the stopping. Are you able to stop ok or is it a little scary?

Trucks brakes are designed to stop the truck, NOT the truck and the trailer, doesn't matter if it's a pickup or a semi truck. The trailer brakes are supposed to stop the trailer. When trailering anything regardless of size you simply NEED to leave more space to stop and drive. Throw the 3-4 second following distance out the door, with a trailer you need 8 second following distance..... 1 second perception, 1 second reaction and 6 seconds to stop, add a few more seconds in bad weather. Going down steep grades, drop a gear or 2. Follow the rules and signs big trucks do and you will stay out of trouble. Of course as the late Dale Earnhart said "If you ain't scared, not even just a little, you ain't going as fast as you can"..... I don't recommend this philosophy for towing.

Don't get me wrong as it's good to have extra stopping power for emergency but once the brakes are nearly locked up on the truck and trailer it ain't going to stop any faster regardless of what you are pulling it with. This is where physics comes in to play. Also if the brakes lock up it actually takes longer to stop and the axle that is locked up is the one that wants to lead and be in front of the vehicle. Take a toy truck and trailer on a glass table or other slick surface and test locking different axles up with tape, steer, then drives and then trailer. Now give the truck a push and watch how it handles. The results are quite shocking, especially with just trailer brakes locked up and it's how it works in real life too, balanced brakes are important when trailering.

I have pulled a much heavier unit than the Cyclones and my 1 ton Dodge dually did just fine stopping or going grossing 27,200 lbs.

Driving big heavy loads is scary at first period. First time I ever drove a semi down a big mountain I was scared to death. A year later I'd drive down the same mountain 100 MPH grossing 80,000 lbs. Only way to get used to it is to drive. Now with more than 1 million safe miles under my belt I look at small cars that cut me off and slam on brakes to hit the next exit as something softer than my truck if things unfortunately do go crunch and if you are dumb enough to slam on brakes in front of something that looks like the front of my truck when you are driving a Honda Civic well......
IMG00130.jpg

Thanks so much for the info. I also have faith in my husbands driving abilities and towing we just starting hearing so much that we thought we should check into this a little more. But of course it was a keystone dealer puttin all of this in our heads because he wanted us to buy keystone. This will be our fourth rig and we have been safe so far. We are excited we go pick it up today and go camping next week!!!

pmmjarrett

Thanks so much for the info. I also have faith in my husbands driving abilities and towing we just starting hearing so much that we thought we should check into this a little more. But of course it was a keystone dealer puttin all of this in our heads because he wanted us to buy keystone. This will be our fourth rig and we have been safe so far. We are excited we go pick it up today and go camping next week!!!

Haha Figures:rolleyes:..Salesman gotcha.

Keystone Fuzions ain't lighter and don't tow any easier. A comparable size Fuzion is still 13k empty with 3k on the tounge and has a lower GVW of 16,500 which is less than the Cyclone which means less load capacity.

pmmjarrett

You can't argue with "Airborne all the way"....:D

Jim

All the way sir... AIRBORNE!!

When asked why I jump out of perfectly good aircraft I reply......"There's no such thing as a perfectly good aircraft, while I have the option to get out you get the pleasure of riding it in".;)

That always gets the reply of they are hanging on to me when I jump LOL

Yes, well we still went with the cyclone. We picked it up today!! Our 1 Ton comes in on Monday so we pulled it home with our 3/4 ton (with air bags) today and it pulled just fine. Granted it wasn't loaded but they did have it full of water. So, we feel comfortable. Thanks for all of the info. It seems like the only thing we are having trouble with is we can't get the outside speakers to turn off in it.

pmmjarrett

SCHWEEEEEEEEEEET. You'll still want to run airbags or Timbrens on the 1 ton. Will make for a much better ride.