Little Disappointed in my RVLock

Oregon_Camper

While the lock itself I great and the install went "OK" (had to modify opening a bit to get lock inserted) I have one small complaint.

I was shocked to find out you have to enter your code to lock the door. You can't just simply push the lock icon. I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong, so I called RVLock.

Very nice lady from RVLocks told me the system I bought (version 4.0, during the promo they had here at Christmas) was just 3 months too old. The "new" version now supports this.... :(

I understand technology changes, but you'd think this would have been a feature from day one. Who wants to enter a code every time to lock the door??

Yes, I can use the remote to lock the door without using keypad, but I don't see myself carrying the remote when I leave the RV. The one major reason for this replacement lock, was to eliminate stuff I have to carry with me. I have the actual key in the truck in case I need to manually unlock the door.

Bones

While the lock itself I great and the install went "OK" (had to modify opening a bit to get lock inserted) I have one small complaint.

I was shocked to find out you have to enter your code to lock the door. You can't just simply push the lock icon. I thought perhaps I was doing something wrong, so I called RVLock.

Very nice lady from RVLocks told me the system I bought (version 4.0, during the promo they had here at Christmas) was just 3 months too old. The "new" version now supports this.... :(

I understand technology changes, but you'd think this would have been a feature from day one. Who wants to enter a code every time to lock the door??

Yes, I can use the remote to lock the door without using keypad, but I see myself carrying the remote. The one major reason for this replacement lock, was to eliminate stuff I have to carry with me. I have the actual key in the truck in case I need to manually unlock the door.

I can agree with you it is a bit annoying to type the code in to lock the unit. I don't carry any of the fobs so I've removed the batteries from them now because they just go bad and corrode.

porthole

Retired
Well if you didn't have to enter a code to lock the door you would be pressing the keys half as much. And if it was 10 keys instead of 5 keys doubled up, it would be potentially half again.

That would be great, as my one key number is now starting to break apart from the membrane.

Bones

Well if you didn't have to enter a code to lock the door you would be pressing the keys half as much. And if it was 10 keys instead of 5 keys doubled up, it would be potentially half again.

That would be great, as my one key number is now starting to break apart from the membrane.
I take it your key pad is falling apart

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

RV lock has been around for some time now and they are always upgrading there technology to bigger and better things. There custom service has been top notch. I'm told that when this new technology comes available that we can just purchase PCB board and install it in our older RV-locks. That's what I'll be doing soon.
I have been enjoying the heck out of all of our RV-locks for close to 1 year now and definitely love the convenience. I don't carry around the fob as much as I thought I would unless we are leave the RV to go out and about. I keep the fob in my door pouch of my truck. I'll push both of the the lock buttons and everything locks up. Entry door and all cargo doors.
It doesn't get any better than that.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

I'm told that when this new technology comes available that we can just purchase PCB board and install it in our older RV-locks.

If that is true, you'd think I would have been told this during my call with RVLocks this morning. but it was not presented to me as a solution.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

They don't even know yet !!!!
Your getting highly classified information here. 😜 LOL
Don't Tell anyone yet. LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader

Yes, I can use the remote to lock the door without using keypad, but I don't see myself carrying the remote when I leave the RV. The one major reason for this replacement lock, was to eliminate stuff I have to carry with me. I have the actual key in the truck in case I need to manually unlock the door.

When I went to bring the trailer out of storage this year the remote would not work. the light on the Fob was working so I figured it was the batteries in the lock. changed them, no joy, so I changed the battery in the fob, no joy. the codes do not work.

I had the locks installed at the national rally and the guy did not leave me any documentation. Any ideas?

jbeletti

When I went to bring the trailer out of storage this year the remote would not work. the light on the Fob was working so I figured it was the batteries in the lock. changed them, no joy, so I changed the battery in the fob, no joy. the codes do not work.

I had the locks installed at the national rally and the guy did not leave me any documentation. Any ideas?

Check the lock inside the coach. Look for an ON/OFF button. That's for the RF radio. Make sure it's on, then retry the FOB. If the FOB still won't operate the lock, try to repair it. There's a tiny FOB learn button, also on the inside of the coach. Press it with a paperclip and it should beep - then press the LOCK button on the FOB to pair it. I will beep again (I think). Then try to lock/unlock with the FOB.

If none if this works, perhaps the circuit board in the lock itself if bad (got wet etc). If you'll be in Goshen this June, I can swap the board for you.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We just purchased a Bauer RV keyless door lock at the NM HOC Rally a couple of weeks ago during the final evening's events (auction) and installed it before we headed home.

The deadbolt lock works . . . the keyless part doesn't, plus the top keyhole will not accept the key.

The keyless part sometimes works when in my hands, but once mounted, it won't.

I've messed around with it trying to get it to operate with no luck, so I contacted the company.

They walked me through a few steps to try to get it working (had watched their online videos and had already tried all of that stuff).

I was then asked to take it apart and check the wiring, to which I told her that the wire plug inside had to be spiced right out of the box as it had a kink in it, and was then told that they will be sending me a new one this week.

I'll let you know!

jbeletti

...I was then asked to take it apart and check the wiring, to which I told her that the wire plug inside had to be spiced right out of the box as it had a kink in it, and was then told that they will be sending me a new one this week.

I'll let you know!

Nice John!

RVLockSupport

Were you able to resolve the problem with your fob? If you are still having problems message us here or give us a call at(888) 316-9899. We'd be happy to resolve the problem!​

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
I am too. We have owned one for a couple of years and our batteries only last a couple of weeks to a month. We use the batteries recommended by RVLOCKs and do not use the remote fob only the keypad. Have had the board replaced twice and no change. Sure wish I knew why ours is eating batteries. . .any thoughts?

Bones

I am too. We have owned one for a couple of years and our batteries only last a couple of weeks to a month. We use the batteries recommended by RVLOCKs and do not use the remote fob only the keypad. Have had the board replaced twice and no change. Sure wish I knew why ours is eating batteries. . .any thoughts?
Julie,
I pull my batteries after every season and replace them. I use Duracell batteries. For us they last the whole season. If yours is eating batteries there is a chance you have a slow drain on them. You could have a short in the wires somewhere causing the drain or your unit is bad period.

LBR

It's possible you may have a tiny bit of moisture/dampness from rain or washing that sets in on those circuit boards....effectively creating a very minor battery drain, yet not enough to completely short out the works indicating a problem with the function of it. Electrical circuitry and moisture never get along together.

HornedToad

I won an RVlock at a Rally last March and had it installed by a professional (Thanks Jim). Over a year later the original batteries are still working with no other problems. Of course we don't have any moisture issues in West Texas. We love our RVLock and want to get another one for the garage door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I won an RVlock at a Rally last March and had it installed by a professional (Thanks Jim). Over a year later the original batteries are still working with no other problems. Of course we don't have any moisture issues in West Texas. We love our RVLock and want to get another one for the garage door.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim B installed ours (Bauer - not RV Lock brand) as well at the Alto, NM HOC Rally a couple of weeks ago.

We purchased it at the auction during the final evening's event of the Rally.

Turns out ours was defective, but I should be getting a new one delivered in the next few days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
Check the lock inside the coach. Look for an ON/OFF button. That's for the RF radio. Make sure it's on, then retry the FOB. If the FOB still won't operate the lock, try to repair it. There's a tiny FOB learn button, also on the inside of the coach. Press it with a paperclip and it should beep - then press the LOCK button on the FOB to pair it. I will beep again (I think). Then try to lock/unlock with the FOB.

If none if this works, perhaps the circuit board in the lock itself if bad (got wet etc). If you'll be in Goshen this June, I can swap the board for you.

Thanks Jim, did all that tried different batteries, no joy. do not get any beeps or nothing. Due to Janinas physical condition we cannot make the trip to Goshen.
Would Rv lock send me a new board? I can do the install.